Negative Gem Reviews...Why the Downturn?

mamamusings

I've been watching the review section for member reviews of the Gem since we're leaving on the 3/1 sailing. I'm a little worried because most of the reviews since she began her Bahamas itinerary have been on the negative side, particularly with regard to embarkation, restaurant reservations, and overall customer service.

While I've seen positive things on the boards, most of those seem to come from people who are in AE and higher class rooms.

I'm wondering...did something change significantly when they switched their itinerary? Were there major changes in the ship's officers? Anyone have a sense as to why the reviews seem to be heading downhill? (One or two wouldn't worry me if there were lots of positive reviews to balance them, but this really seems to be a trend.)

And while I'm at it, if you *did* have a good time on the Bahamas itinerary in the past couple of weeks (particularly if you weren't in an AE+ cabin) it would be great to hear from you...

(I'm probably worrying way too much, but this is our first cruise ever, and it's really bumming me out to be reading such negative reviews instead of the glowingly positive ones that were out there earlier.)

I've been watching the review section for member reviews of the Gem since we're leaving on the 3/1 sailing. I'm a little worried because most of the reviews since she began her Bahamas itinerary have been on the negative side, particularly with regard to embarkation, restaurant reservations, and overall customer service.

While I've seen positive things on the boards, most of those seem to come from people who are in AE and higher class rooms.

I'm wondering...did something change significantly when they switched their itinerary? Were there major changes in the ship's officers? Anyone have a sense as to why the reviews seem to be heading downhill? (One or two wouldn't worry me if there were lots of positive reviews to balance them, but this really seems to be a trend.)

And while I'm at it, if you *did* have a good time on the Bahamas itinerary in the past couple of weeks (particularly if you weren't in an AE+ cabin) it would be great to hear from you...

(I'm probably worrying way too much, but this is our first cruise ever, and it's really bumming me out to be reading such negative reviews instead of the glowingly positive ones that were out there earlier.)

I must be missing something as the majority of reviews I read were positive. I did read one semi-negative review from a Carnival fan. We loved the Gem on our cruise 2/6 - 2/16. We had absolutely no problems eating in the restaurants we wanted to eat in. Embarkation was fast and easy. The crew was friendly and hard working. The ships senior officers were extremely accommodating and very visible around the ship. This isn't always the case on other cruise lines. Overall, we had no complaints at all on our cruise. We will be sailing again on the April 19 transatlantic. Can't wait. Sounds to me like you're worrying too much.

with all the different opinions, you are never going to get total positive reviews. between my cruise in december, on the NCL spirit, and recently..the spirit was getting blasted. in 2006, there was a lot of negative about the NCL star (right before my cruise on it)...it goes around.

as much as it's great for newbies to get information on these boards..it's a shame to lose that wide-eyed innocence that most of us got to enjoy, for our 1st cruise. some people need to be like my SIL, she nevers researchs...doesn't want the opinions of others to cloud her thoughts.

every cruise/trip i have been on...others have hated. just go and have a great cruise!!

I just got off the Gem on Saturday after the one week 2/16 through 2/23 cruise.

We loved it. We had four in an AF mini-suite but that doesn't help with reservations, etc.

We had a big group (11 people) and while we didn't always eat together we did most nights. In general, aside from La Cuchina we really didn't have a big problem getting reservations. If you have to have a specific time and have a lot of people then you may find your easiest route is to go to the reservation desk the morning before you plan dinner. Aside from that you shouldn't have a big problem. We easily got a table for 6 just walking into the Grand Pacific or Magenta (the main Dinning rooms) at 6PM or so. Only had to wait a minute or two for the line to be processed. We were also on a very crowded ship due to school vacation week.

We all came away with a great feeling about NCL and the people who work for them. They really do a great job.

The only beef I had was that the TV audio and voice kept getting out of sync (something to do with their satelitte which seems to be broken) but aside from that I had no real complaints.

Have a great time. I wish I was still looking forward to it!

Hi I'm so sorry you are getting nervous please don't I just got off the Gem on the 23rd I was in a suite but my friends were in an inside with a 9 year old and they all had a great time. I on the other hand need a Gem do over due to me having a root canal before the cruise and my son getting sick with a fever and we had some bad weather!! And still the Ship and Staff were all wonderful I really cant find anything negative to say unless of course I blame NCL for the above. You will love the Gem I will be adding a short review. Some people you can never please I saw a lot of this when I was on the Gem so I decided it's best not to talk to them:):)

We loved it. We had four in an AF mini-suite but that doesn't help with reservations, etc.

We had a big group (11 people) and while we didn't always eat together we did most nights. In general, aside from La Cuchina we really didn't have a big problem getting reservations. If you have to have a specific time and have a lot of people then you may find your easiest route is to go to the reservation desk the morning before you plan dinner. Aside from that you shouldn't have a big problem. We easily got a table for 6 just walking into the Grand Pacific or Magenta (the main Dinning rooms) at 6PM or so. Only had to wait a minute or two for the line to be processed. We were also on a very crowded ship due to school vacation week.

We all came away with a great feeling about NCL and the people who work for them. They really do a great job.

The only beef I had was that the TV audio and voice kept getting out of sync (something to do with their satelitte which seems to be broken) but aside from that I had no real complaints.

Have a great time. I wish I was still looking forward to it!

LOL yes the TV that was annoying!!!!! So we rented a few movies:)

Don't be nervous! My family and I sailed on the Gem from 2/16 to 2/23. It was the first cruise for the 8 of us, and we loved it!

We had four inside staterooms on the 11th floor. The rooms are very nice; nice wood, more than enough table space to put your stuff on, lots of lights so you can design your own lighting, (I liked the small round ones by the headboard- perfect for reading) blowdryer, great bathroom with blue tiled shower and handheld shower head.

Here is the thing with dinner reservations. Yes, you do have to be in line early to make reservations for dinner. This is something you have to deal with on a freestyle cruise! My mother, father, sister and brother in law are all early risers (my BIL is a high school teacher- he has to get up at 4:30 on weekdays) and they had no problem getting up to make reservations each day. They were up anyway! This was great for me, my boyfriend, my brother, and his girlfriend! You could always go back to bed, or sleep on a lounge by the pool!

The food was delicious. People complain about the pay restaurants in their reviews, but if you're going as a couple and you eat at Cagney's (great steakhouse with seafood apps and dinners too-get the cheesecake for desert) you're paying $40 for a five course, gourmet, excellently served dinner. Where else could you pay $40 for a dinner like that? The same goes for Teppanyaki, which was our favorite dinner. Yes, it is $20 a head, but at hibachi restaurants around here (central NJ) will cost you at least $30 per person (with drink and tip).

About the customer service. Each and every person we came into contact with on the Gem was friendly, genial, and helpful. We were also friendly to them. Maybe this is the disconnect some people are talking about. Maybe some people go on cruises thinking with an inflated sense of self and look down on those who are there to "serve" them. I'm only 22, and it has always been my experience that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar (my mom's favorite saying). Treat people nicely and with respect, and i'm sure they will treat you the same way.

We had such a great time on our (first) cruise. It's upsetting for me to read all of these bad reviews...it's like these people were on a different cruise! Here is the last thing i'll say: it's all about your attitude. Be excited, laugh some things off, and relax. Nothing in life is perfect.

Thanks for the replies! We fully intend to go in with a positive attitude, and we tend not to be particularly demanding of picky folks. I was mostly just puzzled by the fact that there were so many 5+ star reviews of the Gem up until the Bahamas itinerary kicked in, and then they seemed to drop some.

We're super-excited about the trip, and I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves. :)

I must be missing something as the majority of reviews I read were positive. I did read one semi-negative review from a Carnival fan. We loved the Gem on our cruise 2/6 - 2/16. We had absolutely no problems eating in the restaurants we wanted to eat in. Embarkation was fast and easy. The crew was friendly and hard working. The ships senior officers were extremely accommodating and very visible around the ship. This isn't always the case on other cruise lines. Overall, we had no complaints at all on our cruise. We will be sailing again on the April 19 transatlantic. Can't wait. Sounds to me like you're worrying too much.

We were on the same sailing and really have only great things to say about the new GEM. Maybe the embarkment problem is really a Florida thing. Out of NYC on our 10 day sailing, all went smoothly.

Kewlguy - hope we meet again on another great one.

If you are a first time cruiser, you are going to LOVE your first cruise. Just enjoy the whole experience. You just have to "go with the flow." You are probably going to come off that ship thinking that was the greatest vacation ever. Is it going to be perfect, nope. But who cares, you are in the sun, eating lots of food, seeing new places, and meeting a bunch of people. Enjoy your first cruise.

What I find most interesting about the latest reviews is that I don't recognize a SINGLE name from the NCL boards.

So they found the review section, but couldn't find the info before going.

One guy is just upset about no singing & dancing waiters.... :rolleyes:

We sailed the Gem over New Years, into the Bahamas... and had a blast. So much so, that we've booked her again for the Med this summer.

Enjoy!

I'm one of the reviews. Don't be nervous, you will like the Gem. I liked it but there were a few glitches....nothing awful. They have to make a few adjustments and all will be fine. It was school vacation week last week and there were lots of parents and kids trying to fit everything in!

The more you cruise, you develop preferences. NCL is laid back and doesn't bother you which is nice. Service is more laid back. Staff very friendly.

We ate in Magenta most nights and were very happy. Garden Cafe is great.

Ate sit down breakfast in other large restaurant and it was good.

Shows are wonderful.

Just remember that you are on vacation and things happen on any vacation.

Chill and enjoy.

So how was it having 4 in a mini? We have 4 going on 4/12 with 4 adluts in one mini. (thank goodness we are a close knit family!)

Another thought...

Know that with new ships they first put an experienced crew on them and then start to change crew. Maybe when it started in NY, crew changes happened. ??? Who knows. Know we got off ship with some crew who were leaving for 4 weeks and then coming back.

Think some of the problems that I saw came from the NCL corporate offices and are decisions that are made there.

This is a fun ship. You will like it.

Archived