Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks PD and Vickie.

Do they allow luggage in the Skytrain? I'm taking a suitcase with me.

Yep. We dragged ours on the bus and then Skytrain on our last cruise. Skytrain is the only way to go. Waterfront station is next door to the cruise terminal (Canada Place).

And Bernie/Vicki took the bus IIRC....

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a casual restaurant for dinner near the Faimont Waterfront Hotel? We will have had a long day of travel, so I feel confident that we will just want to grab a decent bite to eat close to the hotel. Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a casual restaurant for dinner near the Faimont Waterfront Hotel? We will have had a long day of travel, so I feel confident that we will just want to grab a decent bite to eat close to the hotel. Thanks

In my mind's eye I don't see a casual restaurant around there but others may have an idea. My thought is that there are food courts in the Waterfront Tower the adjoins the hotel, another one in Harbour Centre just a couple blocks east on Cordova St. and probably the best one is in Pacific Centre which is about 2 blocks south on Howe St. There is a White Spot Tripple "O's" which is a limited menu White Spot that serves their legendary hamburger, on Granville St. about 2 blocks south of the hotel on the east side of the street.

In my mind's eye I don't see a casual restaurant around there but others may have an idea. My thought is that there are food courts in the Waterfront Tower the adjoins the hotel, another one in Harbour Centre just a couple blocks east on Cordova St. and probably the best one is in Pacific Centre which is about 2 blocks south on Howe St. There is a White Spot Tripple "O's" which is a limited menu White Spot that serves their legendary hamburger, on Granville St. about 2 blocks south of the hotel on the east side of the street.

Spaghetti Factory (55 Water St) is about 6 blocks east, simple pasta dishes

Moose's Down Under (great pub food) is on Pender near Howe

Steamworks brew pub, with good food is about 2 blocks east too

Amazing, I'm only half way thru the threads.... Thanks SO much for all the info!!

We are coming in late August, staying 3 nite precruise and 2 nites post cruise -- we have 2 kids - ages 5 & 8 plus my father in law age 78 (2 rooms) .

Ideally, I'd like something downtown - so we can walk to the shopping on Robson, to the Pacific Centre, and over to Gastown. Ideally, I'd like a hotel that is Nice but still Kid Friendly, if you know what I mean. A Pool would be excellent. Breakfast full (hot and cold) buffet would be great.

We are at Ballantyne pier so we'd cab it no matter where we stay. Hubby stayed once at The Wall and would be fine with that, I'd prefer something a little closer to Canada Place.

How long a "gentle walk" is it from the Marriott Pinnacle to Pacific Centre?

Any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! There is SO much to choose from!!!

Thanks much AGAIN!!

The Wall is a good location, and nice. Any hotel in the downtown core is pretty central. For a pool I think you may need to go to a higher star hotel, for an indoor pool, especially with kids.

Everything in the downtown core is an easy walk to most everything you will need, or quick bus or taxi ride. However if you have mobility problems then recommend taxis.

The walk from the Pinnacle to Pacific Centre is maybe 15 min, and that is walking slowly.

We will be traveling to Vancouver in Sept. 08 and need to find transportation to Down Town Hotel, is it cheaper for the 2 of us to catch a taxi or to reserve a limo for 45.00?

Also, we will be staying at Hampton Inn on Robson St. and we need to find reasonable bottled water and soda, we usually buy from CVS or Walmart and give about 2.50 for a 12 pack of soda can you tell me where to go?

Thank you

lots of places to buy soda/water/wine in downtown core. No Wallmart (sorry not sure what CVS is), but you can pick up other items at London Drugs or Shoppers or grocery store.

Limo sounds like a good price, it is about a half hour away

Thanks PD and Vickie.

Do they allow luggage in the Skytrain? I'm taking a suitcase with me.

I actually work for transit but drive the buses, we welcome luggage; however when the buses are the busiest, during rush hour it would be impossible to lug on and off easily. Recommend taxi during rush hour.

For the skytrain, here too luggage is welcome but during peak rush times it will be very very difficult to transport.

Can't remember when or where you will be staying and using skytrain. Let me know and I can help further.

We just dropped our friends off at the airport. We picked them up from Canada Place yesterday, first time we've met people off a cruise ship it is usually us leaving.

Here is what we did and what I noticed.

There are tours available to book as soon as you arrive with independent companies for tours of the city etc.

There were independent companies (Quickshuttle for example) offering transport to the airport, both Vancouver and Seattle.

There were three or four rental car companies there where you can check in.

We acted as tour guides and did the following:

We took them thru Kitsilano, and along Kitts Beach where we walked for about a half hour and took lovely shots of the city.

Then drove around the University of British Columbia, and around Shaughnessy.

We had lunch on Broadway at our favorite Mexican restaurant. After lunch we walk around some and checked out a few stores.

Then went to Queen Elizabeth Park and spent about an hour there. Then it was off to Little India and showed them this area. We drove "the drive" which is Commerical Drive and large Italian area.

Then we headed home and relaxed on the deck, then off to dinner at the Boathouse on the water at Rocky Point in Port Moody.

These friends were here last year and had seen many of the sites downtown so we wanted to show them things away from the downtown core.

They now want to move here.

Some follow up to some of the questions and answers of late - I am working as a volunteer on the World Triathlon championships so I will not be on top of these posts for the remainder of the week.

PD - that Triple O's closed a couple of years ago so if you want a White Spot you will need the Georgia and Seymour one.

As for the Moose down Under - I haven't eaten there but a group of people who use to work out at my workplace meet there for breakfast three days a week and like the food, service and price but I am wondering since it is located in the financial district if it is opened later in the evening.

The Skytrain station near your Hotel is called the Metrotown station.

Hope these answers help

Cheers

Dennis

We just dropped our friends off at the airport. We picked them up from Canada Place yesterday, first time we've met people off a cruise ship it is usually us leaving.

These friends were here last year and had seen many of the sites downtown so we wanted to show them things away from the downtown core.

They now want to move here.

Please stop being such a good guide - there's no more room for anyone else

Please stop being such a good guide - there's no more room for anyone else

funny :D it was fun to show them around, it is rare that you get to be a tourist in your own city and nice to see it thru their eyes. makes me really appreciate what a great place we have here, even if the it is pouring rain right now as I look out my window :(

Help please. We are looking for a hotel close to the port and found a Comfort Inn at 654 Nelson St. What is the opinion of this place. Clean? Safe area?? Anywhere near Stanley park???

Thank you so much!!!!

Kim

I will let Putterdude give you an opinion on that hotel as he has some knowledge of its history. As for location it is in the heart of the entertainment district and as such tends to be noisy and busy especially on weekends when the bars are filled to capacity. It is relatively safe - there are street people just about everywhere in the downtown core but they are more of a nuisance than a threat.

You are about 1.5 miles to Stanley Park.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis for the quick answer. I am OK being in the entertainment area, we are 4 mid 40's people and would probably be out and about a bit anyways pre-cruise.

Again thanks for the quick response.

Kim

I was one time a partner in it and did the remodel of it. Frankly given its location and its very noisy rooms I wouldn't stay there, we used to loose large tours because of the noise. I know none of my firends or family would want to stay there. I personally don't consider the neighbourhood safe after dark, avoid it myself and advise others to as well.

Places that I would consider as alternatives would be the Holiday Inn on Howe St. the Moda Hotel on Seymour St., the Blue Horizon on Robson St., the Best Western Downtown on Drake St. or the Hyatt Regency on Burrard St. where people latley have been telling us that they are getting rates in the $150 range on promos and Priceline.

it is a noisy area - bars are open really late and the street is closed off for pedestrians and when you get booze, men/women, late nights and a party spirit it can get loud - and as posted earlier some problems do arise because of it all.

If it is all you have left then it will do, but I would probably book something on Davie or Robson too. Lots of choices. Then if you want to head to the Entertainment area for a drink and dancing then you can go there, but you can leave and sleep in relative peace.

Enjoy our city.

Just wanted to let people know about this wonderful event that happens every year. It is called the Celebration of Light so if you are here on the following nights and are staying downtown I urge you to grab a blanket and head down to English Bay beach and watch the fireworkers.

Here is the Link to the event http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

The dates for this year are: July 23 - Canada, 26 USA, 30 - China, August 2 - Grand Finale

We are returning to Vancouver on the Seranade on July 12, our overnite

hotel is near the airport as we have a 6 am flight on the 13th. Is there

someplace to store our luggage so we could tour Vancouver before going to

our airport hotel?

Thanks for you help

Chris and Carol

We are returning to Vancouver on the Seranade on July 12, our overnite

hotel is near the airport as we have a 6 am flight on the 13th. Is there

someplace to store our luggage so we could tour Vancouver before going to

our airport hotel?

Thanks for you help

Chris and Carol

this company provides luggage storage at Canada place and the link was found from the Port's website

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

The port's site

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/faqs/#q10b