Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I had to give a thanks to the nice Canadian folks who give the good word about Vancouver. I did my cruise last week on the Norwegian Star and had an excellent pre-cruise visit to Vancouver. Yeah, it was rainy, but that didn't hinder my travels. Between Vancouver and the stop in Victoria, I did make a decent contribution to the economy :-) I was a little worn out after getting up early to catch the train in Seattle, so I didn't wander too far from the Bayshore for dinner - I went to Cardero's. A nice salmon dinner and an excellent Bloody Caesar. Before the cruise, I went up the street to Urban Fare for some breakfast and to pick up some goodies for my dog (banana and peanut butter treats) some Cafe Artigano coffee beans, and a few munchies and flowers for the cruise. I could really get used to shopping in that store!!!

It's up to Calgary next month for a week for some bobsled and skeleton races. Maybe a trip to Whistler in February for the first World Cup bobsled and skeleton races there. If you want to see Olympic athletes compete on an Olympic venue without the Olympic prices and crowds, definitely check out the World Cup bobsled, skeleton and luge races this year!!

It's up to Calgary next month for a week for some bobsled and skeleton races. Maybe a trip to Whistler in February for the first World Cup bobsled and skeleton races there. If you want to see Olympic athletes compete on an Olympic venue without the Olympic prices and crowds, definitely check out the World Cup bobsled, skeleton and luge races this year!!

Well since we're in the middle of a heat wave (hotter than most of the summer) I certainly hope it gets cold enough for them to freeze the tracks at Canada Olympic Park for you!!

Glad things worked out for you in Vancouver. You must have been here for the only rainy day we had in Sept but I thought that was the 9/23 when we got about 1/2' of rain. It was a beautiful month and today it is great.....but tomorrow we start to pay for it.

Well since we're in the middle of a heat wave (hotter than most of the summer) I certainly hope it gets cold enough for them to freeze the tracks at Canada Olympic Park for you!!

Fortunately, the refrigeration system that makes and maintains the ice can be cranked up enough to make and keep the ice on the track when it's hot. It just costs more money to have the system run that high. No World Cups this year for Calgary - the emphasis is on getting Whistler some experience before 2010. We did the same thing in 2002 in Park City.

Hey, after last 2 years that I came up to Calgary for races and had both weeks have that nasty -20 degree weather, well, a warm week would be OK with me. Nothing like standing outside for 4+ hours when it's cold and blowing, and standing on top of an ice block to, to appreciate warm weather :-)

It was raining on the 20th. Not all day, but definitely for a little while around when the train arrived from Seattle. Not enough to spoil things, but enough to rethink a walk in Stanley Park.

It's been in the upper 70s here. But, there's a change coming on Saturday. A nice cold front, straight from the Aleutians is supposed to come in and drop the temp down to the 30s, with snow at about 7000 ft. So, we'll have some show on the mountains again and maybe some on the lawn. I guess I'll finally have to break out some jeans to wear here...

Well, I just wandered around. I missed going to the Lush store in Vancouver, so I hit up the one in Victoria. I cruised Government St. Did a lot of window shopping. Stopped for some coffee in a non-Starbucks. I bought some 2010 Olympic Winter Games swag for a friend (I had bought mine on an earlier trip). I went into the mall that is attached to The Bay and window shopped some more. The french fry place in the food arcade called to me for the fries with cheese and veggies on them. I know, bad, but sometimes I just get the cravings for fries. I'd been to Victoria before and saw Buchart Gardens, so I was just in the mood for wandering around town.

It was really windy - we were the only ship of the 3 that were supposed to be in Victoria that day to make it into the dock. Now, I don't know if we hit a "quiet" patch and the captain made it in, or if he rolled the dice and won. All I know was that I wasn't awakened by excess rocking or anything, so maybe we were lucky. All those extra cruisers would have made for a much more crowded experience.

I just found this thread and I haven't read it all yet so I appologize if this has been asked and answered already.

We are docking in the morning, and flying out VERY early the next day. I booked rooms near the airport.

It would be great if we could rent a car near the dock and return to the airport. Is such a thing possible? I tried to look at all the car rental places but didn't see anything near the dock.

Somewhat related, if we can't rent - is there a taxi company with larger vehicles? We have a group of 5.

It would be great if we could rent a car near the dock and return to the airport. Is such a thing possible? I tried to look at all the car rental places but didn't see anything near the dock.

You bet you can, no problem at all! Avis, Budget and National each have kiosks at Canada Place. If your ship ties up at Ballantyne Pier, there are no kiosks but any of the biggies will pick you up and shuttle you to their downtown location. Budget has a location quite close to Ballantyne but it is in rather a seedy area so walking to it is not recommended. If you don't like the companies that are at Canada Place than again any of the biggies will be happy to pick you up. A drop at the airport should not be a problem no matter who you choose. Hope you enjoy your visit to Vancouver, we will keep the porch light on for you.:D

Wow, thanks for you fast responses. I'll look again into the car rental - so many choices it is always overwhelming!

I'm still reading this thread, and now reconsidering. Maybe we will just find a hotel closer to the dock and enjoy the area, then take a towncar to the airport in the morning. I booked quite awhile back at Sandman Signature and I think the Marriott Airport - I couldn't decide so I booked both. Prices were not too bad, probably why I booked out there instead of downtown to begin with but I hadn't really considered the transportaion time.

The drive time from downtown to YVR is about 30/35 min but early in the morning you can shave 5 mins off that time. There is nothing at all wrong with the Sandman but I would suggest that you keep watching the Hyatt Regency as we did see pricing this season at <$150 pn. The other good option is the Blue Horizon on Robson St. which is a real favourite with cruisers. Regardless, I think you are on the right track by staying downtown and heading for YVR in the am.

I am looking at four Vancouver hotels and would like to know which of these is closest to Canada Place.

1. Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harborside ( 1133 Hastings St)

2. The Metropolitan (Howe St)

3. Delta Vancouver Suite (440 Hastings St)

4. Hyatt Regency Vancouver (Burrard St)

5. Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver (Georgia St)

We will stay one night after disembarking from the Alaska Southbound Glacier cruise and do not plan to rent a car for the one day.

I appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

I am looking at four Vancouver hotels and would like to know which of these is closest to Canada Place.

1. Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harborside ( 1133 Hastings St)

2. The Metropolitan (Howe St)

3. Delta Vancouver Suite (440 Hastings St)

4. Hyatt Regency Vancouver (Burrard St)

5. Four Seasons Hotel Vancouver (Georgia St)

We will stay one night after disembarking from the Alaska Southbound Glacier cruise and do not plan to rent a car for the one day.

I appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

They're all fairly close to Canada Place all in the 4-6 block distance. Typing what you have there into maps.google.com will show you how close they are

Do confirm your cruise leaves from Canada place. RCCL/Celebrity used Balantyne pier for most of 2008

Our Sept 09 Alaska cruise on Holland America includes a pre-cruise stay at the Fairmont Waterfront. Is the hotel within walking distance of Stanely Park? Also, what is the best method to get from YVR to the hotel? Thanks for any information you might have.

Here is a good idea of transportation yvr-downtown vancouver:

http://www.vancouver-travel-tips.com/vancouver-airport-transportation.html

Hotels:

Renissance is close to Stanley Park, Denman St., and short walk to Canada Place. (cruiseship terminal)

Fairmont Waterfront is Canada Place.

Delta Airport is a good choice for those wanting to stay near airport. They have a special rate for ppl flying in & out, with a free airport shuttle & an Air Canada pre-check-in kosiak.

Here is a good site for hotel choices:

http://www.canadianhotelguide.com/ca/British_Columbia-hotels/Vancouver-downtown-hotels.html

Here is a good idea of transportation yvr-downtown vancouver:

http://www.vancouver-travel-tips.com/vancouver-airport-transportation.html

Hotels:

Renissance is close to Stanley Park, Denman St., and short walk to Canada Place. (cruiseship terminal)

Fairmont Waterfront is Canada Place.

Delta Airport is a good choice for those wanting to stay near airport. They have a special rate for ppl flying in & out, with a free airport shuttle & an Air Canada pre-check-in kosiak.

Here is a good site for hotel choices:

http://www.canadianhotelguide.com/ca/British_Columbia-hotels/Vancouver-downtown-hotels.html

Thanks, that helps alot.

• 2 months later...

With Christmas just around the corner, I thought I would take the liberty of hijacking this thread to wish all who have posted here a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Ut, Vickie, Scottbee and TCF we had quite a run with this thread, almost 900 posts spanning some 7 months, it required a lot of effort from by all of us....great job folks!!!:)

I expect I am going to wind it down here until towards the 3rd week of January, we have a son, DDIL and 20 mos old DGD flying down on Monday to spend Christmas with us and when they leave on the 28th all of the Christmas decorations will come down in a hurry, we pack and leave the morning of Jan 4 for our Panama cruise.

We can't very well have a carol cruise here but about 15 of us decorated our golf carts with lights, tinsel, and you name it and toured the neighbourhood last evening. We started with drinks and nibbles at the golf club and followed it up with a post luck dinner and carol sing in a near-by church. We don't have snow here but it is hardly getting to 50*, at least 10* below normal....but can still paly golf.

Merry Christmas all!!!

It's nice to have a local opinion on a tourist spot, you get the real story and not someone trying to make a buck. :) I've got 45 pages to look through before I ask to many questions that have probably already been answered, but I am going to start with one...how far in advance would you recommend booking hotel and transportation for a July cruise?

It is never too soon, I would get on it right a way but certainly right after New Years. You may find that your best airfare will be Southwest Air to Seattle and they seem to release there skeds 6 to 7 mos out. You can then rent a car and drive, take Amtrak or Quick Coach to Vancouver.

PD - you would have to remind us freezing locals of your good fortune of not having to shovel the white stuff - the thing that is most unusual is the length and depth of the cold snap - while it is warming up some the next few days the longer range forecast is continuing colder and wetter than normal which will probably translate into even more snow - there is only about 3 - 4 inches on the ground in downtown but the outlying areas and east coast of the Island have a lot more.

I will be cooking up with the help of a friend a turkey dinner for some close friends today so at least the apartment will be warmer than it has been.

Thanks for all the posts the past year - haven't seen Vicki B on the boards lately - wonder where she is - enjoy your Panama Canal cruise - it is quite the trip - did it in 2004 in April and will always remember the traverse of the locks.

I guess it isn't too early to wish you and yours a very MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY AND SAFE CRUISING 2009.

Cheers from cold and snowy Vancouver

Dennis

Putterdude, I expect a blow-by-blow description of your PC cruise. We will be on the Coral Feb. 13th (our second time on the Coral) and want to know all about your cruise. Are you doing the full transit? We are doing the partial transit.

BTW, thanks for all your help for our AK cruise and visit to Vancouver.

Edited by judynorth

Hello, I apologize ahead of time if this has been addressed already in this thread; however the thought of reading all 800 plus replies was a little much for me.

To let you know about us. We are 50's and traveling on our first trip without child after 19 years. I am attempting to make this trip as stress fee and relaxing as possible. So, here are my questions.

1. How much for a taxi ride/bus ride from the airport to the Canana Place?

2. We are looking at the Pan Pacific for convience for boarding at Canada Place. Is this to pricey or are the hotels just as close at a better price we could look at?

3. If there are other hotels, what are some names and the cost and convience of getting from them to airport?

Thanks for all your help.

Nancy