Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Since you only have the day of the cruise I would go with the either Trolley or Big Bus rather than the city bus - actually I believe it is the Vancouver Trolley that has a sales kiosk outside the Blue Horizon so you won't have far to go to catch it - since the free shuttle isn't running that early in the year in Stanley Park and the regular city bus only takes you to the entrance of the park - the hop on hop off will let you see more of the Park without having to walk or bike the whole time. The Big Bus uses open air buses in the good weather which is an advantage over the trolleys

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

The day we RETURN to Vancouver at the end of the cruise we have a good portion of that day as well, we will need to be at the airport by 3:30 or so for 5:30 flights to Seattle. We may just do the hop on hop off that day and the day of sailing try and go to the Cap Suspension Bridge, but everything will depend on the weather as well.

Thanks for the help.

Susan

OK, I think I probably know the answer to this one, but I can now get a room at the Marriott Pinnacle for the same price as the Best Western Downtown. Should I switch to the Marriott?

Yes. The Pinnacle is a nicer hotel, in a nicer area and closer to the cruise ship terminal. If you're lucky, you might even get a peekaboo view of the waterfront and mountains.

:)

Edited by ell52

We LOVED our stay at the Pinnacle and when we woke up and looked out our (corner) window, there was our ship, just waiting for us.:p

We took a walk...........stopped at Canada Place..........asked when we could board and were asked if we had our luggage with us!

We walked back to the M.P., pulled our luggage across the street(s) and boarded just after ten a.m. BOY!! Was that fun!:)

Since you only have the day of the cruise I would go with the either Trolley or Big Bus rather than the city bus - actually I believe it is the Vancouver Trolley that has a sales kiosk outside the Blue Horizon so you won't have far to go to catch it - since the free shuttle isn't running that early in the year in Stanley Park and the regular city bus only takes you to the entrance of the park - the hop on hop off will let you see more of the Park without having to walk or bike the whole time. The Big Bus uses open air buses in the good weather which is an advantage over the trolleys

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

If I may just add a footnote to UT's excellent remarks, the Trolley has a real live tour guide giving a commmentary as you go along whereas the Big Bus just plays a tape...I know which I would prefer.

Thanks for all the helpful info! Glanced through and there's a lot to read here, sorry if I missed answers to questions I have! Sounds like best thing to do if we only have one day is Stanley Park, would have liked to see some of the other sites in the downtown area too though ... we'll have from whatever time we get off the ship (around 8am) til cking in for ride back to SEA.

Wondering what the best way is to get from Ballantyne Pier to Stanley Park for a family of 3 (mom, dad, 20yr old daughter) w/ luggage in tow I'm thinking rental car? Or would it be reasonable to drop our luggage at Amtrak early in order to do trolley or big bus?

We are planning to take either Amtrak of Quick Coach back to Seattle, so need to be at one of their p/u spots early enough to ck in for a 5:45pm train, or 6:10 Quick Coach.

Advice/suggestions on best way to get around and spend the day in Vancouver would be great :D

Edited by dfitz

How long do you think a person would need, to visit the Cap Suspension Bridge, their web site makes it look very inviting.

Would 4 hours do it, including travel to and from?

I am not sure how you are going to be traveling to and from the bridge but it you are using transit you are going to need 45/50 mins in either direction and allow yourself at least 2 hours at the bridge. Here is a transit link for your convenience:

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

Thanks for all the helpful info! Glanced through and there's a lot to read here, sorry if I missed answers to questions I have! Sounds like best thing to do if we only have one day is Stanley Park, would have liked to see some of the other sites in the downtown area too though ... we'll have from whatever time we get off the ship (around 8am) til cking in for ride back to SEA.

Wondering what the best way is to get from Ballantyne Pier to Stanley Park for a family of 3 (mom, dad, 20yr old daughter) w/ luggage in tow I'm thinking rental car? Or would it be reasonable to drop our luggage at Amtrak early in order to do trolley or big bus?

We are planning to take either Amtrak of Quick Coach back to Seattle, so need to be at one of their p/u spots early enough to ck in for a 5:45pm train, or 6:10 Quick Coach.

Advice/suggestions on best way to get around and spend the day in Vancouver would be great :D

I have answered part of your question on another board so here is a repeat:

"If you want to see a lot of the city in a short period of time then I think a good plan is to take one of the HOHO bus excrursions. They are not set up to handle luggage which means taking it to the Pacific Central Station where Amtrac operates from or using CDS Luggage Services at the terminal. Here are a few links for your convenience:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html "

A rental car may prove less expensive than 3 HOHO fares and would eliminate the luggage matter, however you will have to pay for parking in the Park and at other attractions you may care to visit. You will need to to take a cab from Balantyne no matter what unless you do rent a car., as there are to shuttles or transit from that pier. The real issue with Vancouver's taxis is that they have for the most part downsized to compacts and 3 adults with luggage can be a squeeze. Budget, Avis and National/Alamo do have kiosks at the pier and they will shuttle you to their downtown locations.Sorry, there is not 100% answer. :)

Is there an ATM at the Amtrak Station so I can get about $100 worth of CDN $ when I arrive?

Yes there is but it is a private ATM and as a poster on another thread has pointed out today their fees are pretty stiff. There is a VanCity credit union across Main St. from the Pacific Central Station where you can evidently use their ATM with no charge however your own bank will levy their usual fee plus exchange.:)

Is there an ATM at the Amtrak Station so I can get about $100 worth of CDN $ when I arrive?

Not at the Amtrak station, but across the street is the head office of one of the biggest credit unions in Canada (it's the building the elevated train goes right through). From there you can also ride that train right into downtown and/or straight to the cruise terminal.

We will be staying at the Westin Bayshore the night before our cruise.

Perhaps someone can help with a few questions:

1. How far is the Gas Town District from the hotel and what would be the best way to get there?

2. We wont be chcking in to at least 5 or 6. If we had one thing to see on our one evening in Vancouver what would it be?

3. About how much is a cab ride from the Westin to Balleyntine Pier?

4. Is there a major cost difference between taking a cab or the airporter for two from Balleyntine to the airport? I know we would need to take a cab from Balleytine to near Canadas Place to take the airporter.

Thanks in advance

Mike

We will be staying at the Westin Bayshore the night before our cruise.

Perhaps someone can help with a few questions:

1. How far is the Gas Town District from the hotel and what would be the best way to get there?

2. We wont be chcking in to at least 5 or 6. If we had one thing to see on our one evening in Vancouver what would it be?

3. About how much is a cab ride from the Westin to Balleyntine Pier?

4. Is there a major cost difference between taking a cab or the airporter for two from Balleyntine to the airport? I know we would need to take a cab from Balleytine to near Canadas Place to take the airporter.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Gastown is about 2.5 miles east of the Bayshore, you can take transit within a couple of blocks of it or you can take a cab for about $12/15 each way.

An evening in Vancouver, you could go to the Boathouse restaurant on English Bay have dinner and watch the sunset, or go to Harbour Centre on the edge of Gastown and go up on the observation tower and perhaps combine that with a Seabus trip back and forth across the harbour.

Cab fare to Ballantyne....about $15.

The Airporter doesn't service Ballantyne so a cab it is at a cost of about $35.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced place to have coffee/meet friends near Canada Place? (Yeah, I know the Pan Pacific has coffee, but we want reasonable prices :) ) The plan is to take the seabus from N. Van, and meet friends near Canada Place. Mobility is a problem, so someplace VERY near Canada Place would be best.

I'm really interested in Going to Victoria to see Orcas .How easy is it to go from Vancouver to Victoria by ferry

The stop looks far from other dock where to get tour boat

Can you help me figure it out Do you know who does this not expensive?

Thanks

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced place to have coffee/meet friends near Canada Place? (Yeah, I know the Pan Pacific has coffee, but we want reasonable prices :) ) The plan is to take the seabus from N. Van, and meet friends near Canada Place. Mobility is a problem, so someplace VERY near Canada Place would be best.

There is a food court in the lower level of the Waterfront Centre across the street from the Pan Pacific where there would be coffee available and there is a Starbucks in the Waterfront Station (SeaBus & SkyTrain) just east of the PP.:)

I'm really interested in Going to Victoria to see Orcas .How easy is it to go from Vancouver to Victoria by ferry

The stop looks far from other dock where to get tour boat

Can you help me figure it out Do you know who does this not expensive?

Thanks

The easiest way to get to Victoria, unless you have a rental car, is via Pacific Coach Lines. The bus terminal is in behind the Empress Hotel and it is only a few blocks walk to the Inner Harbour where many of the whale excursions leave from. It is a long day to go back and forth but it can be done. Here are some links for your convenience:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/index.cfm

http://www.princeofwhales.com/

http://www.orcaspirit.com/

There is also a Tim Horton's in the food court area of the Waterfront Center.

Cheers

Dennis

Good call Ut, looking forward to re-entering the land of Timmy Donuts, even though I have to drive down to Gibsons to get some, but will miss the In n' Outs.:D

I am not sure how you are going to be traveling to and from the bridge but it you are using transit you are going to need 45/50 mins in either direction and allow yourself at least 2 hours at the bridge. Here is a transit link for your convenience:

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

Looks like Capbridge is offering (limited) complimentary shuttle bus service from downtown.

http://www.capbridge.com/rates_information/getting_here.html

PD - looks like you will be arriving back in Lotus land just in time for a long playoff run by our favorite hockey team - the town and in particular the downtown bars are doing a roaring business on game nights - wonder if the Mike Keenan mindset has finally caught up to him in Calgary - it even feels like hockey weather - it is snowing as I type this post and that is no April Fools Day joke.

Remember you can always trade your adopted In and Out Burger for some of our own legendary Triple O's for White Spot

Cheers

Dennis