Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks in advance Putterdude and all the locals, you are so generous to offer your time and expertise. I have scanned through this entire thread and didn't find the exact info I need. We (3 adults + 1 teen, lots of luggage) arrive by bus (quick coach) in Vancouver at about 9-10 pm on a July Friday. Our embarkation is at the Ballantyne. In Hampton we have a 2-queens standard room and in PP we can have a 2-doubles citi view at the same price. Both hotels provide free breakfast, hot in Hampton and continental in PP. Hampton also offers a free shuttle to Ballantyne. We would also like to purchase water packs in the neighbourhood prior to cruise next morning. So, could you please provide your inputs as of what to choose???

Mike

The PP will provide you with a standard of luxury that you won't get at the Hampton but probably the only way to get your party from there to Ballantyne is by using 2 cabs and that will cost you something less than $15 each; you could rent a limo but that will cost you about $40/$50.

The Hampton is on Robson in a convenient area, you will be able to walk into Gastown, go by the BC Place Stadium which will be site of the openning and closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and GM Place the site of a number of the hockey games. The PP is at Canada Place so you can also take in the aforementioned sites but you also have the harbour and cruise ships right at your door and you could take the SeaBus over to the North Shore.

There is no wrong answer here ....once you get past the luxury matter.:)

Putterdude,

There is a Shopper's Drug Mart (on Pender) near our hotel (Marriott). We were thinking of walking there to pick up water and last minute things we may have forgotten to pack.

Is this a fairly reasonable place to shop?

BTW, you have been an invaluable resource, and thanks for taking the time to respond to all of us!

Putterdude,

There is a Shopper's Drug Mart (on Pender) near our hotel (Marriott). We were thinking of walking there to pick up water and last minute things we may have forgotten to pack.

Is this a fairly reasonable place to shop?

BTW, you have been an invaluable resource, and thanks for taking the time to respond to all of us!

There are a number of us who post on Vancouver topics so on their behalf as well ....you are most welcome.

I tend to be a London Drug person finding Shopper's can be a little pricey but the Shoppers is closer to the Marriott. There is the UrbanFare at 305 Bute which is just around the corner from the Marriott(s) but the tend to be a bit upscale and up-price as well. We are staying on the Marriott Renaissance this Wednesday so will try to have a look while I am in Big Smoke.:)

Here is a link to Shopper's > http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/english/index.html

If you want to see what the current flyer has to give you an idea of prices, type in V6E 2S9.

Here is a link to Urban Fare > http://www.urbanfare.com/home.html

A flyer is also available on the website. They have a nice deli/restaurant that has fresh food. Great place to grab bite to take down to the waterfront for a little picnic.

Edited by Tweedy

I appreciate reading all the input from those of you that live in Vancouver.... I need some advice... My husband is a runner 8-10 miles a day and I know he wants to make sure he can run on land the day of the cruise (August 1) as well as we plan to stay a few days post cruise... the seawall looks wonderful but he is concerned about crowds (bikes walkers etc)... any suggestions... pre or post cruise stay... thank you in advance...db777

The seawall has a wheel lane and a foot lane. August 1 falls on our Civic Day long weekend (Monday) so it could be fairly busy in the park. However, running in the morning or early evening shouldn't be a problem with crowds.

On Sunday, August 2, Vancouver's Pride Parade will be taking place in the downtown core. I've not been before but what I have seen on the news, it always draws a huge crowd of spectators.

Well I had to give up running after I discovered that the ice kept popping out of my glass of scotch....so I am probably the wrong person to reply.;) In the downtown area I am pretty sure that it is the seawall and if he gets out early he shouldn't have a big problem with bikes and walkers. However I am sure that Ut will have some good thoughts on this.

Here is a list with close proximity (easy access) to the Seawall:

* The Westin Bayshore

* Renaissance Vancouver

* The Pinnacle Marriott

* Pan Pacific

* The Fairmont Waterfront

A few blocks up from the Seawall but still fairly close:

* The Fairmont Vancouver (aka The Vancouver Hotel)

* The Hyatt Regency

* Sutton Place Hotel

* Le Soleil Hotel

The entire seawall from Canada Place all the way through Coal Harbour, the Bayshore and around the Park has a separate path for bikers and runners.

Saturday Aug 1, 2009 is the last of our fireworks competition so the last thing you are going to want to do is be running anywhere near English Bay - don't forget that Stanley Park is 1000 acres - larger than Central Park in NYC and there are many hard packed trails that your husband may find a lot more enjoyable using than the Seawall.

Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the Park:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Park

and the official web site of the Park:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/index.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Tweedy,

As my daughter would say - you are the bomb!

Thanks for your assistance with the flyers and all. Urban Fare looks a lot like Whole Foods here at home. They are a great place to find that hard to find ingredient, and their take away is the best. But they are a bit pricey.

Thanks to you!

So sorry we will miss the fireworks... we are coming in on the 31st and our ship leaves out on the 1st... that must be a great event to watch....thanks for the hotel list...my husband thanks you... DB777

what hotel would be the best... and then we plan to stay about 3 days post cruise... ideas??? willing to pay up low 200s per night... D.

May I suggest that you try bidding for a room on Priceline.com. We have been reading many post this season of CCs getting 4* hotels in the $75 to $150 range. No 4*hotel in the downtown area is really much further than another from the Sea Wall. :)

I think that I would just stay with the Cascadia...

We had decided on the Cascadia, but would have to rent two rooms. The folks at Cascadia were very accomodating in trying to get us all in one room, but with five people and my daughter in a wheelchair, we figured getting two rooms would be better, space wise. While doing a search on TripAdvisor, we ran across the Landis Hotel and Suites. We can get a two bedroom/two bathroom for about the $40 less per night (three night stay) and the parking is cheaper. The breakfast is better at Cascadia, but my girls are happy with cereal/bagels/juice. Since I'm sure Ut will wave at me from either place, which would you choose?

Thanks,

Robyn

There really is nothing to choose location wise, they are in the same block, if my memory serves me correctly the Landis is the newer of the 2 and I note that they have a free shuttle within the downtown core ....that would save you parking fees if it works for you plus it gives you the accomodation you want. Perhaps Ut will fill in the blanks but I wouldn't have any problem changing.