Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We are arriving on September 17th at 9 PM at the Vancouver airport and staying at the Pan Pacific. What is the cost of the train and what stop do we get off to go to the Pan Pacific Hotel?

How far of a walk is it from the train station to the hotel? On Sept. 19th we sail on the Zuiderdam out of Canada Place.

Get on at YVR station, (the first station on the line) and get off at Waterfront (the last station). At waterfront follow the signs for the "CANADA PLACE" exit and you'll end up about 1/5th of a cruiseship (200 ft) from the entrance of the Pan Pacific.

Can we check in with HAL right in the hotel? How far of a walk is it from the Pan Pacific to Canada Place? Thanks,Donna

From the Pan Pacific, the walk involves getting in the hotel elevator and pressing P1 (the cruise ship terminal is at the parkade level).

Hopefully this map will give you better orientation of everything

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.287116,-123.113152&spn=0.00212,0.005681&t=h&z=18

Hey you locals - as Arnie says in some of his movies I'M BACK - had a great week hiking in the Rockies - in three weeks it on the cruise ship - still trying to get caught up on all the various posts.

Cheers

Dennis

Ell52 - yes I will be posting to both my blog and probably a best of album on the Skyliners Web site in a week or so - usually use Picasa for that purpose - will let you know when it is up and running.

Cheers

Dennis

can you expound on this statement?? I'm very curious as to why your ship would have 'brought in a fin whale'?:o:eek:

thanks

Here is an exerpt from the Princess article about it:

Cruise News

Home > Cruise News > Update: Princess Cruise Ship Impales a Whale

July 28, 2009

Update: Princess Cruise Ship Impales a Whale

Update, 11:30 a.m. EDT: The Vancouver Sun reports today that the dead fin whale discovered on the bow of Sapphire Princess this weekend may have been sick. A necropsy (post-mortem examination) reveals that the whale had no food in its stomach. A thin, rather than thick, layer of blubber is another sign that it may have been in poor health.

The whale's body will be returned into the ecosystem by barge.

(July 26, 3:57 p.m. EDT) -- When Princess Cruises' Sapphire Princess docked in Vancouver Saturday morning, the crew discovered a sad sight: A dead fin whale was caught in the ship's bow. The 116,000-ton, 2,670-passenger ship was sailing a seven-night Alaska itinerary between Whittier and Vancouver.

According to reports by the Vancouver Sun and other news sources, the whale was a 70-ton fin whale, likely middle-aged, part of a threatened species as listed in the Species at Risk Act. Fin whales do not typically inhabit the waters around Vancouver, so the cruise ship likely struck the whale north of Vancouver Island. Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans will perform a necropsy to determine whether the whale was alive or already dead when it and the cruise ship made contact. The whale carcass will then be returned to the ocean floor.

Princess said in a statement, "We were shocked and saddened by this discovery, and sincerely regret the circumstances which led to the whale's death. It is unknown how or when this could have happened, as we have strict whale avoidance procedures in place when our ships are in the vicinity of marine life. We are not aware that any whales were sighted as the ship sailed through the Inside Passage to Vancouver yesterday."

On a recent Holland America cruise in Alaska, we asked the captain about whale avoidance procedures. He told us that the large mammals are actually too small to show up on radar. Instead, cruise ships must rely on actual whale sightings and reports from other ships to determine if whales are in the area. When whale activity is present or likely, cruise ships typically reduce speed or alter course if necessary. Princess concurs, stating that the line has "clear guidelines for our ships on how to operate if whales are sighted nearby."

The last time a cruise ship arrived in Vancouver with a whale caught in its bow was in 1999, when Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Galaxy collided with a fin whale.

--by Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor

Hello, vickie bernie, putterdude and urban trekker et al from an east coaster.

I began reading the beginnings of this wonderful thread a few days ago, and didn't pay attention to the start date....2008! I thought that it was unbelievable that so many people had responded to a thread since February last! :rolleyes: Having read 15 pages I began to despair of ever finishing....and then I noticed the date.....duh! I stopped reading. :eek:

We are in Vancouver (for the first time) at the end of September for three nights/two days prior to our Cruise on Millennium from Ballantyne pier. We will follow your advice and just take a taxi to the hotel. Having read your pros and cons re: Chateau Granville (from last year), I wondered if there were any changes. I had booked this hotel through air miles before I discovered this thread. However, it is one of the recommended hotels from CAA and also, friends had stayed there a couple of years ago prior to a cruise. One of the pros I learned from them was that the Hop on/hop off bus stops right there, and that it isn't that far a walk to Robson street. One of the cons (depending on your point of view;)) is that there were shops of a dubious nature right across one of the streets, but also that you will not be bothered by people on the streets.

Our friends did not go out much at night and had no problems; I assume that if one takes a cab rather than walk at night, there would be no difficulties anyway. We plan to check out the Ho-Ho bus the first day, and eventually get off in Stanley Park...I don't know whether we should take in the aquarium or not, as we also want to see Granville Island, Gastown and only have the two days. What do you think?

Also, what is...I think... "Sky Train" or "Sky Tram" that I saw mentioned somewhere in the thread?

Bill, from New Brunswick

Hi Bill from NB;

My mother was from Yarmouth so I am half herrring chocker.

I would not ordinarily recommend the Chateau Granville as it is on the edge of the entertainment district and has a bit of a history but you have a deal and you certainly won't die from staying there. As adults you won't have a problem in walking down Granville and you are likely going to be asleep before the bars and clubs let out.

I would be inclined to buy the 2 days pass on the HOHO and by all means do Stanley Park, the Aquarium, Gastown and Granville Island, you will have lots of time.

Sky Train is our ELS transportation system that connects various part of the city. A new leg of it called the Canada Line will open on Aug 17 and get fully rolling on Aug 18 and connect the airport with downtown.

To Puterdude and the other learned Vancouverites:

We have made reservations in the Westin downtown (Starwoods Points) September 19th but are reconsidering the options.

Since we will be making a long flight from the east coast and not arriving at YVR until mid afternoon, we would not get to the hotel until about 5 pm leaving little time to do much in town.

Therefore we are considering just taking the shuttle to the Sheraton Four Points Airport Hotel (Many less Starwoods points) and taking a cab in the morning of the 20th to Canada Place to board the ship.

How is the hotel? what is around the area? how far is the night market?

Any and all comments solicited.

P&J

We have made reservations in the Westin downtown (Starwoods Points) September 19th but are reconsidering the options.

Since we will be making a long flight from the east coast and not arriving at YVR until mid afternoon, we would not get to the hotel until about 5 pm leaving little time to do much in town.

Therefore we are considering just taking the shuttle to the Sheraton Four Points Airport Hotel (Many less Starwoods points) and taking a cab in the morning of the 20th to Canada Place to board the ship.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=Sheraton+Four+Points+Airport+vancouver&fb=1&split=1&gl=ca&cid=0,0,3298806164022395126&ei=4GiDSuZRn8WZB5_omKEN&ll=49.177103,-123.125153&spn=0.034002,0.090895&z=14

There's a shopping mall across the street, and No 3 Rd is the major drag in that part of Richmond. There are lots and lots of Asian restaurants nearby as Richmond is about 60% Chinese, so it's easy to find something to eat. And day of your cruise, the new rapid transit line has a station a block and half away (Alderbridge & No 3 Rd) that takes you straight to Canada Place for the princely sum of $2.25 (and yes, the trains are equipped for luggage as you're on the same line as heads to the airport, just a different branch)

You will have no problems locationally with the hotel and a good alternative to being downtown. If you choose not to drag your luggage to the Canada Line Station or have mobility issues then a cab to the pier will run you about $35 and be about a 35 min trip.

The Richmond night market would a good couple of miles from this location a bit awkward to get to on foot.

OK, we are going to try the Canada Line from YVR, just for the adventure. We are assuming that if there are escalators, there are sure to be elevators at both YVR and Waterfront. (With carryons and regular suitcases to steer on to escalators, I'm not seeing that happen unless one of us stands below to send the suitcases up the escalators—which actually sounds kinda funny!)

We have a partial day in Vancouver (after arrival and departure) since we are on a repo. We thought we would just get off the ship and wander around, but now I am thinking maybe we could go afar (on Canada Line) to Richmond or somewhere. Anyone have a good half-day to somewhere on the Line? We have been to Granville Island, on the HOHO bus to Stanley Park, etc. It would be fun to do something different. We are two over 65 ladies not in great shape and afraid of heights (like Grouse Mountain). But not afraid of escalators! :)

OK, we are going to try the Canada Line from YVR, just for the adventure. We are assuming that if there are escalators, there are sure to be elevators at both YVR and Waterfront. (With carryons and regular suitcases to steer on to escalators, I'm not seeing that happen unless one of us stands below to send the suitcases up the escalators—which actually sounds kinda funny!)

We have a partial day in Vancouver (after arrival and departure) since we are on a repo. We thought we would just get off the ship and wander around, but now I am thinking maybe we could go afar (on Canada Line) to Richmond or somewhere. Anyone have a good half-day to somewhere on the Line? We have been to Granville Island, on the HOHO bus to Stanley Park, etc. It would be fun to do something different. We are two over 65 ladies not in great shape and afraid of heights (like Grouse Mountain). But not afraid of escalators! :)

You know what, a ride on the old line (pretty much all elevated) is a pretty good way to see the city, mountains in the distance. If you do it outside of rushhour, it's not particularly busy, easy to get a seat, especially from Waterfront (start of line). Ride a MILLENIUM LINE train, then get off again, @ Commercial/Broadway, up two escalators, and board a train back into town.

Interesting things to see, and do along the way;

Stadium Station; you're right next door to the main ice rink for the 2010 Olympics.

Main Street/Science World; Science World is a great way to spend a few hours

Patterson Station (2 block walk). Crystal Mall; this is a locals chinese mall. The food court will show you what 'real' chinese food is all about.

Metrotown Station. Metrotown Mall. Largest shopping mall in BC (if you like that sort of thing).

Between Edmonds and New Westminster; Nice view to the south and southeast, including Mt Baker

Between New Westminster and back to Commercial/Broadway you get a nice view of the north shore mountains, and a couple of very impressive bridges, including the Sky Bridge, the longest transit-only bridge in the world

We thought we would just get off the ship and wander around, but now I am thinking maybe we could go afar (on Canada Line) to Richmond or somewhere. Anyone have a good half-day to somewhere on the Line? We have been to Granville Island, on the HOHO bus to Stanley Park, etc. It would be fun to do something different. We are two over 65 ladies not in great shape and afraid of heights (like Grouse Mountain). But not afraid of escalators! :)

Another option aside from those already mentioned, is to go to Steveston Village. Take the Canada Line to Richmond and then get on a bus to take you to Steveston. I recommend it as somewhere you can go to just chill out, look at the fishing boats, have some frozen yoghurt at Timothy's, and/or fish 'n' chips at Pajos....

Hi....I have a question about the cascades 510 from Seattle to Vancouver........

We have Business class tickets and from what I have read, it should be easy in Seattle. Do the same rules apply as far as carryon as a plane? such as 3oz or less liquids? One carry on per person? We are going Sept 19th. When arriving in Vancouver is luggage like a airport or is it sitting next to the train?

Thanks so much! Happin Cruisin:)

"We have made reservations at the Delta Vancouver Suites. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? We're hoping it's relatively convenient'

If you are sailing from Canada Place you ae two blocks away - you are three blocks to restaurants in Gastown - three blocks to Pacific Center shopping mall - 6 blocks to Robson street and entertainment district. Historic Sinclair center is one block away - shops and restaurants there but most are closed on Sundays.

This hotel is located more in the financial part of our downtown than the entertainement district.

Check out this interactive map of downtown for a better idea ofwhere everything is - look for a symbol by NS Seymour and you should have your hotel.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Hi....I have a question about the cascades 510 from Seattle to Vancouver........

We have Business class tickets and from what I have read, it should be easy in Seattle. Do the same rules apply as far as carryon as a plane? such as 3oz or less liquids? One carry on per person?

Carry-on baggage allowance is much more generous than on flights. That being said, checked luggage services are available and free. Typically, suitcases will not fit overhead and must be put on the baggage rack at the end of the car so I'd advise checking your suitcases so you don't have to find room on the rack for your items. There is never enough room for everyone's! Plus then you don't have to lug your suitcase up and down the stairs into the train car.

Carry-on allowances: Personal Item (such as a purse) PLUS up to 2 additional pieces per passenger, each of which may not exceed 28” x 22” x 14” or 50 lbs. There are NO restrictions on liquids.

Additionally, you are allowed up to 3 checked suitcases per passenger. There is a weight limit of 50lbs per suitcase, but no size limit for dimensions.

When arriving in Vancouver is luggage like a airport or is it sitting next to the train?

When you arrive in Vancouver, your luggage will be placed on the platform beside the train (you may have to wait a few minutes for them to unload the baggage car). You must get your suitcases before you go through Customs & Immigration.

Are we allowed to bring our dinner sandwiches on the bus into Canada? How about shelf stable milk boxes? When I checked on the customs web site it was confusing.

I think dairy products and meat are prohibited, but was not sure about packaged shelf stable milk boxes.

Are we allowed to bring our dinner sandwiches on the bus into Canada? How about shelf stable milk boxes? When I checked on the customs web site it was confusing.

I think dairy products and meat are prohibited, but was not sure about packaged shelf stable milk boxes.

Sorry, I don't know the official answer. I cross the border (though at Niagara Falls, not Vancouver) regularly and try to bring things I know are allowed to avoid any disputes. Granola bars, bags of chips, bottled water, etc. It might not be the most nutritious food ever, but I've never had any problems with packaged food. If you eat before you board the bus, chances are you won't need more than a snack during the ride anyway and then you can eat again on the other side of the border:)

If you want sandwiches and shelf-stable milk (both of which I'm assuming are not allowed), why don't you just pack everything and eat it all before you hit the border? ;) Then you don't have to worry about customs rules. It is perfectly legal to bring a sandwich on the bus in Seattle and eat in the first 2+ hours drive to the border (or conversely, in the first hour heading from Vancouver back to the USA). Just don't forget to eat it!!!

Seriously, if you're worried, I'd err on the side of "better safe than sorry".