Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Will shops, movie theaters, etc be closed on Thanksgiving Day in Vancouver?

Pretty much everything will be open except for banks and government offices. Some businesses will operate with limited holiday hours, but you shouldn't have any problem finding things to do.

:)

I posted here two or three weeks ago as I was concerned about making my 10:30 flight out of Vancouver Airport. We could not have asked for a better result. I had RCCL take care of our luggage and we did not have to worry about that. We did not see our luggage again until we arrived at Dulles Airport. RCCL put us in the "first off list" (White tags). We met in the Colony and at 7:25 all persons with white tags and 4 AAAA's were told to get in line with their bus pass to take them to the airport. Well we did not have the bus tags and I noticed another RCCL person and asked her what do we do, I showed her my paper work from RCCL and she said we could depart immediately. We left the ship and when we finally set down at our gate, after security, customs etc, it was only 8:45. We also had a very delightful Vancouver. Roy.

If a ship is suppose to disembark at 7:30 - would 10:30 be a reasonable flight? Or would noon still be the earliest out of Vancouver?

I would go a little bit later. Unlike US ports, in Vancouver, you'll need to clear customs and immigration, twice. Once for Canada getting off the boat, and once for the USA getting on the boat. In a perfect world, walking off at 0730 you're at the airport after 0800 (during rush hour) and most US flights require you to be there 'at least 2 hours prior to departure' which leaves you less than 30 mins of wiggle room. If there's a noon option, it's much more reasonable.

We ordinarily suggest nothing before 11:30 and 12:30 is better. A lot will depend upon how many ships are in port that day which will impact the length of the line ups at both the cruise terminal and at YVR. If you are sailing during July or August the US Direct Program may be an option for you.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

My husband and I just returned from our northbound cruise out of Vancouver last week. I was worried about Quick Coach Shuttle, but with the 2 for 1 Entertainment coupon, we went for it. There was an accident on the freeway which added an hour to our commute, but it was not too bad. All our luggage was taken off at the border, and I timed the whole process at 30 minutes total. Nice driver was willing to take people to any hotel, not just the ones on the website.

I had Pricelined the Hyatt for $74 and thought we would get the dreaded room with the sofa bed, but wow, what a great room we got. High floor, water view and a huge corner balcony. We ate popcorn for dinner and just watched the vibrant scene below (we were really tired!) Vancouver struck me as a lively, beautiful city.

The next morning we were picked up promptly at 9am with our luggage and took a Land and Sea precruise tour. Very nice, small group and hit all the major sights in a few hours. Funny, I did not like the flowers at Granville market, but bought some other edible goodies. It was a bit disappointing that Gas Town was closed off and inaccessible because of some special event. All in all, a brief but satisfying glimpse of Vancouver before a wonderful cruise.

I am sorry that you did not get into the Gastown area but sounds like everything else went well. Hope that you will come back to Vancouver soon....let us know when you are coming and we will leave the porch light on for you.:) I am also happy to learn that you were pleased with the Hyatt Regency and the Land/Sea Tour which we often recommend on these threads. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.:)

am headed to YVR in the morning and wanted to say thanks to all who have helped me get ready. I appreciate the time ya'll take to help us tourists out. I'm going to try out the Canada Line to get to the hotel, so my only decision left is where to have dinner tomorrow night. We're just going to wander Robson St till something catches our fancy.

Thanks again for all your help.

My husband and I just returned from our northbound cruise out of Vancouver last week. I was worried about Quick Coach Shuttle, but with the 2 for 1 Entertainment coupon, we went for it. There was an accident on the freeway which added an hour to our commute, but it was not too bad. All our luggage was taken off at the border, and I timed the whole process at 30 minutes total. Nice driver was willing to take people to any hotel, not just the ones on the website.

I had Pricelined the Hyatt for $74 and thought we would get the dreaded room with the sofa bed, but wow, what a great room we got. High floor, water view and a huge corner balcony. We ate popcorn for dinner and just watched the vibrant scene below (we were really tired!) Vancouver struck me as a lively, beautiful city.

The next morning we were picked up promptly at 9am with our luggage and took a Land and Sea precruise tour. Very nice, small group and hit all the major sights in a few hours. Funny, I did not like the flowers at Granville market, but bought some other edible goodies. It was a bit disappointing that Gas Town was closed off and inaccessible because of some special event. All in all, a brief but satisfying glimpse of Vancouver before a wonderful cruise.

Information needed please - What is Quick Coach Shuttle and how does it work? What do you mean about your luggage being taken off at the border? How did you book the Land and Sea precruise tour? What time did they get you to your ship?

Thanks go to Urban trekker, Scottbee and Putterdude for help with our visit to Vancouver. The Canada Line train was ideal for getting downtown and back. We had an upgrade at Delta Vancouver Suites, the 14th floor facing the Lookout tower. Too bad there were some showers both embarkation day, Sept. 5, and disembarkation day, Sept. 19. Putterdude, once again we crossed paths getting on and off ships! We got off the Sapphire yesterday and you got on!!!

Can't wait to book another cruise!

Sandi

Hi to everyone, going home for thanksgiving(October) and went to stay a few days on my own in downtown Vancover towards the end of October. Haven't been back in awhile, about eight years. On past trips I have stayed at the four seasons, cp at the waterfront, sutton place. Suggestions to a nice and reasonable place? Thanks>>>>

The amtrack train that leaves from Vancouver to Seattle that leaves at 5:45pm and arrives in Seattle around 10:00pm, Is it always on time?

Looking at air flight from Seattle that leave at around Midnight to the east coast.

Is that cutting it to close to expect to make it from the train station to Seattle airport for a midnight flight?

No idea how far from train station downtown is to the Seattle airport?

Jimbo:)

Quick Shuttle is a bus service between Vancouver and Seattle - when you reach the Canada - US border all luggage must be accounted for and checked by the border agents - the driver will unload to curbside and you then take it into the customs office where you will be checked - you most likely will be asked to have your luggage screened - not much different than going through the airport - once screened you return your luggage to curbside and the driver will re-load to the bus and once all passengers have cleared border services the bus will continued onto to Seattle or Vancouver. The distance you walk from curb side to the officer inside the border station is only a few feet so handling your luggage shouldn't be a problem - also husbands and wives or people traveling as a group normally are processed as one so while the line can look long it can moved fairly fast - also they generally only process one bus at a time. If you are traveling from Vancouver to Seattle you will be given a customs form by the driver when you board - it's less than a full page and only takes a few minutes to fill out.

Here's the Quick Shuttle web site - http://www.quickcoach.com/

Please remember that most of the tighter border rules are a result of 9/11 and the DHS trying to be more diligent on who enters the country.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker
link added