Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

PD has a good list - you might want to add the Lamplighter in the Dominion Hotel in Gastown as well - quite a bit of history in that place as I am sure PD is well aware - there was a time when it was my regular Friday night hangout back when I could afford to go out for a beer or two or three or more.

Cheers

Dennis

Not me....it was the Abbotsford, the Pemberton, the Devonshire and the George in Georgia....ok, occasionally the ballet at Gary Taylors.:o

And I would agree with you the trend on Granville is up....but it couldn't have got much worse.

Aren't Steamworks and Yaletown brewing - brew pubs/

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, they are. The Yaletown is part of the Mark James empire who owns the Whistler Brewhouse and the Flying Beaver at the seaplane base out at the airport (south) among others....he discovered there was more money in beer than there was in clothes.;)

Oh my! Sounds like it's going to be a great trip that I won't remember. ;)

I checked out a few places online and these places are exactly what I'm talking about. From the scary to the sublime!

I definitely asked the right crew for info. Thank you ALL so much!

Within a 9 iron of the Pan Pacific, there is Mahoney and Sons in the new Trade and Convention Centre, the Elephant & Castle in the Marine Building, Rogue Kitchen & Wet Bar in Waterfront Station, Steamworks on Cordova in Gastown and the St. Regis in the 600 blk of Dunsmuir.

Your 9 iron is a hell of a lot better than mine is.

Already some sterling efforts to list bars above, but a few key omissions in Gastown IMO. Right on the official Cruiser Walking Route from the pier down to the Gassy Jack statue, via Water St, you'll find Pourhouse (cocktails from the pre-vodka-in-everything era and quite nice vintage furnishings), HouseXGuest (uber trendy dining lounge, ideal for twenty-somethings), Chill Winston (v. popular patio - one of the few that gets sun almost all day) and Six Acres (ridiculous bottled beer selection). A few yards down Carrall is the Irish Heather (with Shebeen Whiskey House in the back). A short walk up Alexander brings you to the Alibi Room - you simply won't find a better selection of craft beers, though after dark most folks would probably be a lot more comfortable cabbing it than walking back.

If you don't want to walk all the way down into Gastown proper, staying on Cordova after Steamworks will bring you to the Greedy Pig which offers an excellent price-value point for drinks and food compared to most.

And I'd be remiss in not mentioning the new kid on the block on False Creek, Tap & Barrel - right next to the Athletes Village/Scienceworld ferry stop. Good wine prices (they sell wine from the barrel and pass some of the savings along) but you're paying for the view with every glass or plate - still, I'd rate it as better than Monks already, despite only opening this week.

Sorry for this non-cruise Vancouver question...but I'm going to use my "frequent contributor" status for a hall pass :rolleyes:

I'm heading to BC over Labour Day week. The trip starts by flying to Kelowna to bike an 80km segment of the Kettle Valley Rail trail, then spending a day in the Okanagan Valley to sightsee. Any suggestions for scenic or "adventure" activities in the area, as well as good wineries and restaurants. Unique and offbeat has priority over high-end, although I don't mind a memorable meal at an expensive restaurant.

Then I'm driving to Vancouver to spend 4 days w/ a friend on Bowen Island. The plan is to be on the road by 9am and take Hwy 3, which I understand is more scenic and interesting (but slower) than Hwy 5. After Hope, the plan is to blitz into downtown Vancouver (Tuesday) since I visited the Fraser Valley recently and also have to turn in the car before the office closes at 6pm.

From the downtown rental car location the plan is to take the bus to Horseshoe Bay to the ferry...I have a car reserved but I'm starting to think it will be more pain and expense than benefit.

Anything to recommend on Bowen or enroute? After Bowen it's the ferry/bus/Skytrain to YVR for a 430pm flight.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions... TIA!!

Edited by kenish

Sorry for this non-cruise Vancouver question...but I'm going to use my "frequent contributor" status for a hall pass :rolleyes:

I'm heading to BC over Labour Day week. The trip starts by flying to Kelowna to bike an 80km segment of the Kettle Valley Rail trail, then spending a day in the Okanagan Valley to sightsee. Any suggestions for scenic or "adventure" activities in the area, as well as good wineries and restaurants. Unique and offbeat has priority over high-end, although I don't mind a memorable meal at an expensive restaurant.

There's a ton to do in the OK Valley. Most of the great wineries are an hour south of Kelowna; in the stretch between Pencticton and Osoyoos. Some wineries (on the southern end) to visit would include Burrowing Owl, Tinhorn Creek & Hester Creek (mmm CabFranc) in the Oliver area.

There's a great restaurant that's attached to a Ho-hum hotel (Holiday Inn?) in Osoyoos who's name I just can't think of right now -- (thank you google; SOL GRILL ROOM), plus excellent restaurants at a couple of the wineries (Burrowing Owl's is top notch, Nk'mip would be another).

Then I'm driving to Vancouver to spend 4 days w/ a friend on Bowen Island. The plan is to be on the road by 9am and take Hwy 3, which I understand is more scenic and interesting (but slower) than Hwy 5. After Hope, the plan is to blitz into downtown Vancouver (Tuesday) since I visited the Fraser Valley recently and also have to turn in the car before the office closes at 6pm.

From the downtown rental car location the plan is to take the bus to Horseshoe Bay to the ferry...I have a car reserved but I'm starting to think it will be more pain and expense than benefit.

I like the Hwy 3 route better than 97C/5 although the latter is a more modern highway, and the climb out Princeton on #3 can be a pain. The other advantage of Hwy 3 is you pass through Keremeos "Fruit Stand Capital of Canada", worth a stop. Bear's at the corner of Keremeos bypass and 3A (from Penticton) is my fave, but there's lots of good ones.

Once you're through Hope, Hwy 1 is pretty dull. If you're looking for a slightly out of the way -- but fun place for lunch, exit at Chiliwack and follow the signs to the small municipal airport. The cafe in there is great, and famous for their pies. They have 10-20 different ones available on any given day. Basically from the east it's the 1st exit to the right. and then right again in Chiliwack, and the airport is right along the highway, so hard to miss.

Definitely take the bus/ferry rather than driving on. Taking the car on the ferry is expensive, and prone to delays

Oh, and wave as you pass through downtown Vancouver!

Edited by scottbee

Highway 3 is the way to go if you are planning to tour the southern Okanangan (Oliver and Osoyoos) albeit slow and tedious. I have a friend who lives in Oliver, owns warehouses and provides warehouse space to a number of the wineries in the region. I will provide a link below to some maps of the region. Wineries we have enjoyed up there include Jackson Triggs, Black Hill, Burrowing Owl, Gehringer Bros., Hester Creek, Tin Horn Creek and Nk'Mip in Osoyoos which has a great restaurant attached to it.

As we are heading out on a Med. cruise Labour Day weekend we may well pass in the paddock at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal or at YVR....I know I will recognize you.;)

http://www.kelownabc.com/wine/oliver.php

Enjoy your KVR bike ride - the section through Myra Canyon is an engineering wonder - I have done it a couple of times and just might find the time and energy to do it later this year - many of the bridges where damaged or destroyed in the forest fire of 2003 but have been rebuilt etc.

Which 80Km segment are you doing - I have done the Myra - McCullough and some around the Arlington Lakes - want to tackle Penticton to Chute Lake - easiest for me as I have a cousin in Penticton who can shuttle me back to my vehicle.

In Kelowna - just the drive out along Lakeshore Drive will yield many wineries and when in Osoyoos make sure you stop at the First Nations display - well worth the charge.

On Bowen - enjoy the peace and serenity and perhaps walk around Killarney Lake and take in Crippen regional Park.

Cheers

Dennis

Anything to recommend on Bowen or enroute? After Bowen it's the ferry/bus/Skytrain to YVR for a 430pm flight.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions... TIA!!

In addition to the many good suggestions for wineries in the Oliver/Osoyoos area, you could basically find a good winery anywhere in the area. Here is a picture from Mission Hill Winery that I took about 10 years ago.

283671365_dodba-M-1.jpg

Here is a link to the many many wineries you can find: http://www.okanagan.com/maps/wine_map.htm

Hwy 3 is a much more scenic drive and only takes about an hour more then if you were to drive Hwy 5 to Hope. A good place to stop, besides all the fruit stands in Keremeos is Manning Park. Blitzing into Vancouver may not be as easy as you think. Traffic on Hwy 1 once you get to Abbotsford will be busy, even on a Tuesday (first day back to school for kids). Check and see if the rental place has after hours drop-off just in case. Leaving at 9am will get you into Vancouver by 6pm. However, if any problems arise on the highway or bridges, you could be delayed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming.

I will try to get an earlier start from Kelowna so there's more wiggle room if the trip takes longer than planned. I will also see if they have after-hours return, or I can return the car to YVR if I get delayed.

UT- I'm doing the Myra Canyon - Penticton segment (the easy direction). Monashee Tours is providing bike, equipment, and shuttle at both ends. I've contacted the Chute Lake Resort and they're expecting me for lunch. I don't have any qualms about riding 80km in a single day (since the latter part is downhill) and several locals have assured me it won't be a rushed pace. I ride 20-30km at least twice weekly on trails around here. Really excited about it.

PD- I will try to act like an obnoxious American tourist @ the ferry terminal so you will spot me in the crowds. My Vancouver friend also warned that rush hour might be bad, but hey- can't be worse than OC freeways, right?? Enjoy your cruise!

Scottbee- I will wave hello. The friend I'm visiting Bowen with lives in Burnaby. We did the Circle Farm Tour last fall and drove right past the Chilliwack Airport but didn't know about the cafe. There used to be a good "$50 Burger" website that rated airport cafes in the US and Canada but it seems to have disappeared.

Thanks again, creating a list of all the suggestions.

Edited by kenish

Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep them coming.

I will try to get an earlier start from Kelowna so there's more wiggle room if the trip takes longer than planned. I will also see if they have after-hours return, or I can return the car to YVR if I get delayed.

UT- I'm doing the Myra Canyon - Penticton segment (the easy direction). Monashee Tours is providing bike, equipment, and shuttle at both ends. I've contacted the Chute Lake Resort and they're expecting me for lunch. I don't have any qualms about riding 80km in a single day (since the latter part is downhill) and several locals have assured me it won't be a rushed pace. I ride 20-30km at least twice weekly on trails around here. Really excited about it.

PD- I will try to act like an obnoxious American tourist @ the ferry terminal so you will spot me in the crowds. My Vancouver friend also warned that rush hour might be bad, but hey- can't be worse than OC freeways, right?? Enjoy your cruise!

Scottbee- I will wave hello. The friend I'm visiting Bowen with lives in Burnaby. We did the Circle Farm Tour last fall and drove right past the Chilliwack Airport but didn't know about the cafe. There used to be a good "$50 Burger" website that rated airport cafes in the US and Canada but it seems to have disappeared.

Thanks again, creating a list of all the suggestions.

Yeah, you'll find CYCW on every $100 burger site. In fact I'd wager a guess that if you phoned to file a flight plan in western Canada and said "for a piece of pie" as your destination, they'd file CYCW.

If you make downtown in time for lunch, or a beer after work, let me know, and I could drag you out somewhere unusual.... just let me know your email addy, and we can trade info.

Yeah, you'll find CYCW on every $100 burger site. In fact I'd wager a guess that if you phoned to file a flight plan in western Canada and said "for a piece of pie" as your destination, they'd file CYCW.

If you make downtown in time for lunch, or a beer after work, let me know, and I could drag you out somewhere unusual.... just let me know your email addy, and we can trade info.

My addy is kenish01 (at) gmail. Send me an email so I can give you more detail.

Enjoy the ride - make sure you have lots of water - that part of the KVR is among the hottest and driest part of our interior - almost desert like - will look forward to any reviews you do.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Here are links to 4 B&B's that are in Vancouver's West End, which is immediately adjacent to the downtown core and have been mentioned by posters over the years.

http://www.englishbayinn.com/

http://www.ocanadahouse.com/index.htm

http://www.barclayhouse.com/

http://www.downtownbedandbreakfast.com/

Without going thru 3700+ posts, can I ask for the insights using the Skytrain from Canada Place to airport. Thanks in advance. Wayne

It's really quite simple come out of Canada Place and bear left onto Howe St. It is the low red brick building on the left, in total you will have about a 3 block walk.

link

Edited by Putterdude

Hello, can anyone recommend a couple of dining establishments in and around walking distance from the hotel L'Hermitage on Richards street in Vancouver. Perhaps a recommendation for a lunch and a dinner. Thanks

Here is link to Yaletown's restaurants. From a personal perspective I would likely choose Cioppinos or Blue Water Café for dinner. For lunch the Cactus Club, Yaletown Brewing or Rossie's on Robson.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/14/1325/Vancouver/Yaletown-restaurants