Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

How much time does a first time visitor need to visit at the bridge area? We would be visiting it in the evening and it closes at 8pm if I'm reading the site correctly. I realize this is just an approximate estimate.

Thanks

Can I use my credit card to buy the FareSaver sky train pass at the airport; will the 7/11 store accept it? Also, can I use a credit card to buy the 20- ticket strip for the AquaBus ferry? Thank you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

And another question (so appreciate those who take the time to read, respond, and help) : our hotel is near Howe and Drake. We'd like to take the bus to Canada Place Monday morning. We will plan a time so as not to interfere with commuters since we'll have luggage. Which bus should we take? Davie?

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

None of the buses will take you right to Canada Place - most will require a couple of blocks walk - I know as I live a block from your hotel - At $2.75 per person for the bus - or less if using a fare saver - it might be just as easy to grab a taxi and it would only be $10.00 to the port - all of the buses heading towards Canada Place will be inbound to downtown and will be busy - the Vancouver part of our transit systems - particularly the electric trolleys are packed most of the time and getting on with luggage will be a problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

That is very good to know. A couple of people on these boards said $10 for the cab to the pier, and yet when I called my hotel, the clerk said, $10-15, and you might need two cabs." You'd think they would know standard taxi rates.

We will simply ask they call for a tax van.

Thank you for this information and taking the time to post.

Unless you specified Canada Place they might have been hedging based on Ballantyne pier - but I'm sure it's mostly just the Standard Canadian Customer Service Person 50% Markup - also seen whenever inquiring how long the wait for a table will be. Under-offer and over-deliver seems to be ingrained over here - it's nice to be expecting more $/time and be pleasantly surprised...

I think Scotty from Star Trek first popularized the methodology - he was Canadian after all;)

Have a room booked at the Kingston B&B on Richards Street is the area safe? Is it within walking distance of trains and etc?

Yes, it is in a safe area about 2.5 block walk from the Vancouver Centre Canada Line Station and many attractions are very walkable. It is a bit of a budget hotel but the location is good and I have known the owner of it since 1964.

I agree with PD's assessment of the hotel and the area - at one time it was one of my youthful watering holes - if there is a downside it is that there is a major condo construction project - big hole in the ground right now on both sides of the hotel - it's the Telus Garden project which might create some early morning noise but as your stay is only one night you will probably be alright.

Cheers!

Dennis

UT beat me to the construction warning - as to transit, don't take it from the pier. By the time you walk down to Waterfront station then again from City Centre station to the B&B, you may as well have just walked all the way. Bus routes are slightly more useful but not much (you can get any of the Granville buses - but it's only 2 blocks and they are *not* designed for luggage).

If you don't feel like walking 1.1km slightly uphill with your luggage, take a cab - it'll be well under $10.

We are staying at the Best Western Plus Chateau Granville 1100 Granville Street, the night before our tour. What is the area like? I would appreciate a suggestion or two as to where to eat for dinner, not fancy, within walking distance if possible, or taxi. Canadian flavor? We are tAking a city highlight tour the next morning prior to our cruise so will see some of Vancouver. And we are thinking taxi from airport on our arrival day to hotel will also give us a glimpse of the city. I appreciate any information you can provide. We will be up there beginning of August. Thank you.

UT beat me to the construction warning - as to transit, don't take it from the pier. By the time you walk down to Waterfront station then again from City Centre station to the B&B, you may as well have just walked all the way. Bus routes are slightly more useful but not much (you can get any of the Granville buses - but it's only 2 blocks and they are *not* designed for luggage).

If you don't feel like walking 1.1km slightly uphill with your luggage, take a cab - it'll be well under $10.

Thanks. Is the city centre station where the Amtrak train arrives and the sky train to YVR? So, you are saying that it would be better to cab it to the hotel from the train station and to cab it to train station to catch our flights the next morning?

Area immediately around the BW Granville I'd describe in brief as scruffy rather than seedy - it's been much improved in recent years - and pretty loud (lots of bars & clubs on Granville, it's an official 'Entertainment District' zoned for such premises). You'll definitely see some begging on the streets, but you shouldn't be hassled by anyone - there's a community police station with very active neighbourhood patrols and 'aggressive panhandling' is something that's been cracked down on since before the 2010 Olympics.

Poutine is a cheap & cheerful Canadian thing, and you're just a block away from Fritz on Davie. The White Spot at Granville & Drake a block further is part of a local chain - broad menu, reasonably priced. If you feel like a short walk you could also head straight down Helmcken from your hotel into Yaletown - you'll pass Alpha my favourite local Izakaya (a Japanese pub serving lots of small dishes - common in Vancouver, not so much anywhere else outside Japan) and then in Yaletown proper you could try Yaletown Brewing for great local beers and decent pub grub (the pizzas are the best things on the menu), Milestone's or Earls (both local chain of slightly upmarket pub-grub joints), The Keg or Hamilton Street Grill for pretty reasonably-priced steakhouses.

Edited by martincath

Thanks. Is the city centre station where the Amtrak train arrives and the sky train to YVR? So, you are saying that it would be better to cab it to the hotel from the train station and to cab it to train station to catch our flights the next morning?

Vancouver City Centre station is one of our Skytrain stations (it's on the Canada Line out to the airport, so if you're using Skytrain to get to your flight you should head for this station, it's the closest to the B&B). It's easily walkable from your B&B, though because of the construction on the Georgia end of the block I'd walk along Robson - maybe a hundred yards further, but with much easier to manage sidewalks right now.

Amtrak uses Pacific Central Station which is a mile south east of you - you could take Skytrain from here to your hotel (Main St/Scienceworld station is just outside Pacific Central, but it's a different line so you'd probably want to get off at Granville station and walk from there). A cab would undoubtedly be quicker and less hassle - might set you back $12.

Edited by martincath
Just clicked you may be arriving by Amtrak before cruise...