Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks, will check that out. Just read some not so good reviews on the HoJo regarding noise.

I guess I should consider Hotwire, have never used it so am unsure about it all but have read some amazing prices people get. Guess I like the comfort of booking something and being able to cancel it if something happens to the plans.

Have looked at Days Inn too, reviews seem to be ok.

Should also mention it is possible we are going to be arriving early to mid evening so are probably going to head to bed early so we don't really need a lot of amenities.

Just checked out the Blue Horizon, it has pretty good rates and the reviews were mostly favourable, maybe something to consider.

Edited by Lyn2005

Thanks, will check that out. Just read some not so good reviews on the HoJo regarding noise.

I guess I should consider Hotwire, have never used it so am unsure about it all but have read some amazing prices people get. Guess I like the comfort of booking something and being able to cancel it if something happens to the plans.

I know the Days Inn quite well, it was next door to where I had my first job in in 1964 and it was old then....for years it was known as the Abbostsford Hotel and was just and excuse for a "beer parlor". It is undergone a number of renovations over the years and has flown the Days flag for sometime now. It is certainly better than the HO-JO, Canada Place is quite walkable and there are lots of places close by for breakfast...but with an average rack rate of $209 in mid week July 2012, there are better deals to be had.

The HoJo is across the street from BC Place (Football stadium); quite a number of blocks from the Granville entertainment district (the BW Drake is actually 1/2 from Graville and about 1½ blocks from where the bars/clubs are). The area is decent, and the lower part of Robson has a lot of cheap/interesting places to eat. Two blocks from the Stadium Skytrain station and about a dozen blocks to Canada Place (<$10 taxi)

With all your kind help I think I have it narrowed down. Emailed Best Western because their June rates aren't up yet. The reservation person has given me a rate of $143 which is less than anything I have seen outside of Hotwire and Priceline prices. But I can book it now and it's all totally cancellable etc. if things happen. I liked the amenities and the area seemed pretty good. They do have a shuttle which I'm not hung up on because they can get bogged down in which case there is always a cab. Anyway that's the way I'm leaning right now. Guess if their June rates aren't up yet there isn't a huge rush to book it but will probably do it shortly.

With all your kind help I think I have it narrowed down. Emailed Best Western because their June rates aren't up yet. The reservation person has given me a rate of $143 which is less than anything I have seen outside of Hotwire and Priceline prices. But I can book it now and it's all totally cancellable etc. if things happen. I liked the amenities and the area seemed pretty good. They do have a shuttle which I'm not hung up on because they can get bogged down in which case there is always a cab. Anyway that's the way I'm leaning right now. Guess if their June rates aren't up yet there isn't a huge rush to book it but will probably do it shortly.

That sounds like a very good rate and I would be inclined to book it ASAP. A cab fare from the hotel to Canada Place will be about $12 if you choose not to use their shuttle.

The HoJo is across the street from BC Place (Football stadium); quite a number of blocks from the Granville entertainment district (the BW Drake is actually 1/2 from Graville and about 1½ blocks from where the bars/clubs are). The area is decent, and the lower part of Robson has a lot of cheap/interesting places to eat. Two blocks from the Stadium Skytrain station and about a dozen blocks to Canada Place (<$10 taxi)

My mistake, I'm thinking of the Hampton Inn.

Checking hotels.com for a random night next June I see a number of properties in that price range;

The Moda: $149

The Rosedale on Robson: $149

and the Georgian Court for $151

it shouldn't be hard to get a solid 3star hotel in that price range if you book in advance

I did it! Today I booked the Best Western on Drake for $152.00. I know we probably could have got a cheaper rate at a better hotel but I am the kind of person who just wants to get it booked, confirmed, locked down etc. What was confusing me was they didn't have internet rates for June so I thought maybe it was just too early but when I looked a little further I saw that they had rates for July and beyond. I forgot to ask why that was but forgot so I emailed the girl that I dealt with. Hockey maybe?

We are thinking of staying in Vancouver for the weekend after our repo cruise on Millennium and wondered how the sky train is on the weekends for getting around? Wanted to stay out in Richmond near the airport if possible and then either rent a car or take public transit to get around and see some sights.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I did it! Today I booked the Best Western on Drake for $152.00. I know we probably could have got a cheaper rate at a better hotel but I am the kind of person who just wants to get it booked, confirmed, locked down etc. What was confusing me was they didn't have internet rates for June so I thought maybe it was just too early but when I looked a little further I saw that they had rates for July and beyond. I forgot to ask why that was but forgot so I emailed the girl that I dealt with. Hockey maybe?

Good for you, now that you have the reservation and so long as it can be canceled without charge, you can watch for something else that may come up closer to your cruise date.

We are thinking of staying in Vancouver for the weekend after our repo cruise on Millennium and wondered how the sky train is on the weekends for getting around? Wanted to stay out in Richmond near the airport if possible and then either rent a car or take public transit to get around and see some sights.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Canada Line (part of Skytrain) will certainly get you from many places in Richmond to downtown Vancouver. From there you will likely want to take one of the HOHOs or a transit bus. If you only wish to see a few sights or attractions then transit is your most economical option if you want to see a lot of the city in a day then one of the HOHOs is the better option. Here are some links to help you:

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

Yes, that's true, I could cancel if something better comes up. Thanks again for your suggestions. I don't know how people who don't frequent these boards book their trips, I've found so much useful information over the years.

The Canada Line (part of Skytrain) will certainly get you from many places in Richmond to downtown Vancouver. From there you will likely want to take one of the HOHOs or a transit bus. If you only wish to see a few sights or attractions then transit is your most economical option if you want to see a lot of the city in a day then one of the HOHOs is the better option. Here are some links to help you:

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

Thank you! Any thoughts on the Marriott hotel on Westminster Hwy? It looks like it is within walking distance to the sky train.

The Marriott on Westminster Hwy is definitely within walking distance of skytrain, especially if you don't have luggage to haul (and even if you do, it's all level walking). You'll have to cross a couple of busy streets, but it is a safe commercial shopping area.

The Marriott on Westminster Hwy is definitely within walking distance of skytrain, especially if you don't have luggage to haul (and even if you do, it's all level walking). You'll have to cross a couple of busy streets, but it is a safe commercial shopping area.

No luggage, just shopping bags! :D

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be traveling to Lynn Canyon Park in May. I'm a little interested in visiting Lynn Canyon Park. However, we are staying at the Opus hotel and are not renting a car.

Any ideas on the best way to reach Lynn Canyon along with associated fees?

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lynn Canyon is where we locals go and for sure it is worth a visit...and no fees. Your best bet would be to walk down to the Waterfront Station and take the SeaBus across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay where you will transfer to a #239 bus, just tell the bus driver what you are up to and they will let you off at the correct stop...your fare will be $3.75 (CDN) p/p each way

I will be traveling to Lynn Canyon Park in May. I'm a little interested in visiting Lynn Canyon Park. However, we are staying at the Opus hotel and are not renting a car.

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Lynn Canyon is great! Lots of trails and a very nice suspension bridge. It would be a pricy cab ride - $40 each way give or take. Transit is an option as well and cheap at only a couple bucks per person each way. Take the SeaBus to Lonsdale Quay (great market) then bus to Lynn Valley from there. The translink website can help you plan the bus trip.

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

2-zone ticket ($3.75) covers;

Canada Line Skytrain (Subway): Yaletown/Roundhouse -> Waterfront

Seabus: Waterfront -> Lonsdale Quay

#239 bus: Lonsdale Quay -> Lynn Canyon

very much worth it, it's beautiful.

Just booked Sheraton Wall Centre for 109$ per night:) USED HOTWIRE HOT RATE. 4* Downtown Vancouver West Area pools,fitness,business centre,hight speed internet, spa and 90% recommended from hotwire customer. We will stay at that hotel 2 nights May 2, 2012 pre cruise ( ALASKA). Can we take sky train from airport to water front station and walk to hotel? Can we walk to Canada Place from our hotel?

thank you

Corey

Edited by lurvecruise