Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Robson Street is a block away - it is our answer to Rodeo Drive or Newberry St - full of shops and eateries - here`s a link to the Robson Street Business Improvement District website restaurant guide - hope it helps. For reference purposes the 1000 Block Robson would be the closest to your hotel.

http://robsonstreet.ca/directory/main7/directory.php?category=16&company=&keywords=

Cheers

Dennis

Hi just a few questions arrive Sun 4th sept about 8.Cruise out on Wed 7th

have booked a trip 2 Victoria float plane over ferry back on Tues 6th.

How long to walk from Sandman Suites on Davie to Float Plane Terminal

Do you recomend eating on ferry on way back or waiting can you buy a drink on ferry.

Do u advise buying wine to take onboard cruise ship what are Canadian Prices Roughly.

Have been 2 Vancouver before a long long time ago so have been 2 Stanley Park

Thought on Monday would just wander

As its a public holiday anything i should do

Thanks in advance

Very Impressed with help offered on this site

Last year DH and I took the same cruise out of VC that we will be sailing on next month. We went to the Granville Market for lunch and a look around. We picked up a flyer for Lonsdale Quay Market that is showing over 80 shops and sevices. Is this similar to the Granville market? What are the differences? Can you give us an idea how far it is from the Sutton Place and how to get there.

Many thanks for all your info.

Mary

Last year DH and I took the same cruise out of VC that we will be sailing on next month. We went to the Granville Market for lunch and a look around. We picked up a flyer for Lonsdale Quay Market that is showing over 80 shops and sevices. Is this similar to the Granville market? What are the differences? Can you give us an idea how far it is from the Sutton Place and how to get there.

Many thanks for all your info.

Mary

Lonsdale Quay is easiest to reach using seabus across burrard inlet. Hop on Seabus at Waterfront Station, or for a little less walking, walk up to Burrard Station, grab skytrain to Waterfront (one stop), and Seabus from there. $3.75 (2-zone ticket).

Here`s a link to the Lonsdale Quay market website.

http://www.lonsdalequay.com/

Enjoy - worth the visit and a great view across the harbour to downtown Vancouver

I have attached a couple of photos taken from the Quay and looking across the Harbour to downtown - the Sea Bus terminal is next door to Canada Place so if your ship is on the east side of Canada Place - Princess and Celebrity you will get to see it up close from the water.

Cheers

Dennis

DSC06108.jpg.145192db90a6c4fd0b9f019bb227aace.jpg

DSC06110.jpg.96aecfa0b621007d66dbac97c0d1fc28.jpg

Hi All, time again to visit Beautiful Vancouver, and jump on a ship. We will be in town 23Sep for our overnite prior to boarding our Southbound ship. We will be staying at L'Hermitage. The better part of the day will be spent traveling and plane hopping. While all in our party are quite ambulatory, we won't be up for any long walks. Our current plans are to grab dinner at the Kingston Taphouse across the street from the hotel. My concern however is that most of the reviews I've read, while praising the food, indicate that the noise level is fairly elevated and loud. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate, quieter venue, that is not a long walk from the hotel. We've eaten at White Spot before, and would like to maybe find something else. A place that showcases the PNW seafood but doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be perfect.

Thanks in advance, for your help. I know ya'll always have great ideas.

Tu-tu

Hi All, time again to visit Beautiful Vancouver, and jump on a ship. We will be in town 23Sep for our overnite prior to boarding our Southbound ship. We will be staying at L'Hermitage. The better part of the day will be spent traveling and plane hopping. While all in our party are quite ambulatory, we won't be up for any long walks. Our current plans are to grab dinner at the Kingston Taphouse across the street from the hotel. My concern however is that most of the reviews I've read, while praising the food, indicate that the noise level is fairly elevated and loud. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternate, quieter venue, that is not a long walk from the hotel. We've eaten at White Spot before, and would like to maybe find something else. A place that showcases the PNW seafood but doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be perfect.

Tu-tu

Yum, hop in a taxi and go to The Boathouse on Beach Ave. Love the miso crusted halibut.

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/

By the way, I think we're on the same ship!:)

Edited by goodml

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am back from Vancouver. We were there 2 1/2 days before our cruise. Vancouver is a beautiful city! We really loved it. Public transportation is very easy to use. We used the bus to get to Stanley Park. Stanley Park is very nice to walk around in, especially on the sea wall, just watch out if you cross the bikers lane. We also went to Capilano Bridge. We loved it! The bridge scared the heck out of me but I crossed it. The scenery is beautiful. We loved the Treetops and the Cliffwalk. We are so glad we went. We ate at Steamworks in Gastown and it was very good. We loved walking around the city, it is so clean.

Again, a big thank you to all who posted here and answered questions and offered advice. For anyone planning a trip to Vancouver, listen to the people on this board, they know what they are talking about.

Oops, forgot this.

I was asked what I would recommend to other visitors of Vancouver.

1. Capilano Suspension Bridge

2. Steamworks Restaurant

3. Walking through Gastown

4. Watching the ships come into Canada Place.

5. Stanley Park.

6. Cupcakes Bakery, the lemon cupcake was amazing and this comes from a woman ( and a family) who bakes alot. The nutella cupcake, chocolate peanut butter and black and white cupcake were quite good too. Of course there were some we didn't like too but for the most part they were yummy.

7. Eating from the food trucks by Canada Place.

8. Walking the streets of Vancouver.

9. Going to see the Olympic Cauldron.

I am sure that I forgot some stuff, sorry.

The city is just beautiful. We hope to go back.

Also just a fyi, we got off the ship at 8:20am, was at the airport between 9:15am and 9:30am, can't quite remember. We did not get through customs till 11:20am. It took so long. Thankfully our flight was 2:00pm. Vancouver airport is a beautiful airport.

Tu-tu

Hi, have you stayed at L'Hermitage before? If so, how far is it from the ship and do they have a shuttle to Canada Place? Won't be there until 2012, but always looking for the best info on places to stay. Thanks

Donna

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am back from Vancouver. We were there 2 1/2 days before our cruise. Vancouver is a beautiful city! We really loved it. Public transportation is very easy to use. We used the bus to get to Stanley Park. Stanley Park is very nice to walk around in, especially on the sea wall, just watch out if you cross the bikers lane. We also went to Capilano Bridge. We loved it! The bridge scared the heck out of me but I crossed it. The scenery is beautiful. We loved the Treetops and the Cliffwalk. We are so glad we went. We ate at Steamworks in Gastown and it was very good. We loved walking around the city, it is so clean.

Again, a big thank you to all who posted here and answered questions and offered advice. For anyone planning a trip to Vancouver, listen to the people on this board, they know what they are talking about.

Where did you stay? Were you close to Canada Place? Were you happy with your room........hotel pros and cons, please. Thanks

Donna

Oops, forgot this.

I was asked what I would recommend to other visitors of Vancouver.

1. Capilano Suspension Bridge

2. Steamworks Restaurant

3. Walking through Gastown

4. Watching the ships come into Canada Place.

5. Stanley Park.

6. Cupcakes Bakery, the lemon cupcake was amazing and this comes from a woman ( and a family) who bakes alot. The nutella cupcake, chocolate peanut butter and black and white cupcake were quite good too. Of course there were some we didn't like too but for the most part they were yummy.

7. Eating from the food trucks by Canada Place.

8. Walking the streets of Vancouver.

9. Going to see the Olympic Cauldron.

I am sure that I forgot some stuff, sorry.

The city is just beautiful. We hope to go back.

Susan,

Thanks for taking the time and coming back to post about your experiences in Vancouver. So glad you had a good time. Hope you can come again! :)

On day coming in from airport plan to get the all day transportation pass. Can we use it for the Seabus at Waterfront Station?

Thanks,

Mary

Yes. The day passes are good across all zones for all buses, skytrains and the Seabus.

On day coming in from airport plan to get the all day transportation pass. Can we use it for the Seabus at Waterfront Station?

Yes good for all zones, all modes (Bus,Seabus,Skytrain).

But you can't buy it on the platform at the airport. You need to visit the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the airport terminal.

Where did you stay? Were you close to Canada Place? Were you happy with your room........hotel pros and cons, please. Thanks

Donna

Hi Donna,

We stayed at the Pan Pacific so yes we were very close to Canada Place, we were right there. We like the hotel very much, rooms were good size, beds were comfortable and the proximity to the port was priceless for us. Just took the elevator down to parking and walked across to the port check in. So easy. We also liked the proximity to the train station and the food court. We didn't eat in the hotel, so I can not say how that was. We were pleased with the hotel, no complaints.

Susan,

Thanks for taking the time and coming back to post about your experiences in Vancouver. So glad you had a good time. Hope you can come again! :)

You are welcome, Ellen. Thanks for all the advice. We will definitely visit Vancouver again.

To all who post answer to all our questions,

We visited last year and loved the city. We have a repeat cruise this year leaving in September.

All of you help many people find their way around, and it makes it so much easier to have an idea of what and where they want to go. Many thanks for all the info!!!

Mary

As a Vancouver native glad to heard from visitors about our great city and your wonderful experiences and glad to have been able to provide some of our local knowledge to make your visit more enjoyable.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Donna,

We stayed at the Pan Pacific so yes we were very close to Canada Place, we were right there. We like the hotel very much, rooms were good size, beds were comfortable and the proximity to the port was priceless for us. Just took the elevator down to parking and walked across to the port check in. So easy. We also liked the proximity to the train station and the food court. We didn't eat in the hotel, so I can not say how that was. We were pleased with the hotel, no complaints.

I love that hotel and have always wanted to stay there. The price has always made me think twice, but, this time it's on the top of my list. Thanks for your input.

Donna

Hi Donna,

We are staying at the Pan Pacific too.How far is Stanley park? Can you walk or is there public transportation? Thanks for all your info.

Would love to do some preplanning for ur our 25th anniversary cruise out of Vancouver in Sept. We will be in the city a couple of days prior to the cruise and have a few questions that I hope can give me some direction. We are active and love adventure and to be on the go! We are staying at a B and B on Barclay.

1. My husband and I cycle in CA and would like to rent bikes and ride Satnley Park. Any suggestions?

2. We did a really fun interactive mystery walking tour in Niagra Falls called Niagra on the Lake. anything like that there?

3. Any bike tours at night?

4. We love the food tours, where you walk and eat and then walk and eat and then walk and eat...any suggestions?

5. Any ziplining close to Vancouver??

Thank you,

KB

We are staying at the Pan Pacific too.How far is Stanley park? Can you walk or is there public transportation? Thanks for all your info.

It's a little over a mile, or you can take the #19 Stanley Park bus. Full transit details at http://translink.ca/

A great choice for visitors are day passes $9 on Translink (our bus/subway/seabus system). You can get to everything you hear mentioned in this forum easily on the local transit system

Would love to do some preplanning for ur our 25th anniversary cruise out of Vancouver in Sept. We will be in the city a couple of days prior to the cruise and have a few questions that I hope can give me some direction. We are active and love adventure and to be on the go! We are staying at a B and B on Barclay.

1. My husband and I cycle in CA and would like to rent bikes and ride Satnley Park. Any suggestions?

2. We did a really fun interactive mystery walking tour in Niagra Falls called Niagra on the Lake. anything like that there?

3. Any bike tours at night?

4. We love the food tours, where you walk and eat and then walk and eat and then walk and eat...any suggestions?

5. Any ziplining close to Vancouver??

Lots of bike rental places upnear Stanley Park. Googling "Bike Rental Vancouver" I'm sure will get more results than I can think of off the top of my head. I'm also sure they'll be able to hook you up with info on bike tours too. Urban Trekker is a big cyclist, I'm sure he has more suggestions.

Nearest zipline I can think of is at Grouse Mountain: http://www.grousemountain.com/zipline