Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks go out to putterdude and scottbee!

I knew this thread would be the place to turn for answers... You all are much appreciated for putting so much of your free time into this thread.

Thanks again

juanrod

I have already purchased the hop on trolley tickets. These include tranportation to Granville Island. Both Grouse Mtn and Capilano indicated that there are free shuttles from Canada Place. Do you think I will still need the transit pass? Do you think I should cancel the trolley (I think i may be able to do that) and just go with the transit pass both days?

What you get for the difference in price between the HoHos and the local bus system is narration on the HoHos. Is that worth the extra to you?

The local bus system is much more extensive, and gives you access to a whole bunch of places you just can't get to on the HoHo (as they only really run within a couple of miles of downtown). For example, while Capilano Bridge is very nice, and has a number of activities in addition to the bridge, there's a similar (but free) bridge in a local park at Lynn Canyon Also the bus/subway/seabus puts places like QE Park, all of Pacific Spirit Park (bigger than Stanley park -- on the border of the University) and dozens of more locations within easy reach.

With the HOHOs and the free shuttles you really don't need to buy a transit it pass it would be really a waste of money. However what you could do is take the free shuttle to either the Capilano Bridge or the Skyride and then take a bus at at a cost of $2.50 to the next attraction and then take their free shuttle back to Canada Place....it would save you having to come all the way back to town to catch another shuttle. As for HOHOs vs transit...the HOHOs are a tour and provide narration about what you are seeing and the history of same....transit is a ride between two different point.... and frankly in some cases it leaves you walking some distance to the attraction you are going to see. Some like transit and others like having a tour but in the end the decision rests with you and what you want to get out of your excursion and visit to Vancouver.

DH and I had planned to go to Capilano and spend a few hours there. We are going to take the free shuttle to and from Canada Place. After reading about Grouse Mountain in this thread, I'm wondering if we would have time to do both? We don't want to rush through Capilano but we don't want to go at a snails pace either. We would also like to be back to Canada Place by 4 p.m. With this information, would we be able to do Capilano and Grouse Mountain in one day or should we save Grouse Mountain for a future visit?

DH and I had planned to go to Capilano and spend a few hours there. We are going to take the free shuttle to and from Canada Place. After reading about Grouse Mountain in this thread, I'm wondering if we would have time to do both? We don't want to rush through Capilano but we don't want to go at a snails pace either. We would also like to be back to Canada Place by 4 p.m. With this information, would we be able to do Capilano and Grouse Mountain in one day or should we save Grouse Mountain for a future visit?

Many people do both in a day. I would recommend about 2 to 2.5 hrs at the suspension bridge and about 3 to 3.5 on the mountain. To these times you need to add about 30 mins of travel time in either direction...but once at one of the attractions they are less than 10 minutes apart by bus. So it really depends upon what time you get started...but if you catch the 9 am shuttle from Canada Place you would have not problem being back in town by about 4 pm. If the shuttles didn't quite line up for you on your return, you could take a transit bus for $3.75 each.

Capilano is on the way to Grouse Mountain quote close to each other, but probably 30 minutes from downtown, it's a lot easier to do them in one shot.

Thanks Putterdude. It really helps to get advice from people who know this stuff. That's why I'm thankful for this forum. Capilano has always been our priority and we don't want to rush through it. After reading your comment, I now think we are trying to do too much in a short amount of time and won't be able to appreciate what we are seeing if you get my drift. We plan to return to Vancouver in a few years so maybe we will do the Grouse Grind during that visit so we can spend more time there.

I will just throw this out for your consideration. In a long hot dry summer, the Grouse Grind can be shut down by the fire department....this is not likely the year it will be shut down as it has been a cool damp spring and summer. Just grist for the mill.:)

Thanks to all of you from Vancouver who are so patient and kind to answer our questions. We will be in Vancouver in September for several days prior to our cruise. I apologize if these questions have been answered before. We have looked at the HOHO tour on Vancouver Trolley. Right now they are offering two days for the price of one if purchased online. I see that there are two trolley routes. If we take the full trolley route without getting off, approximately how long does that take for each route? In other cities that offer HOHO trolleys, we have taken the full route and then gone back to the places where we want to spend more time. Is this a good plan for Vancouver? Thanks, again!

I see that there are two trolley routes. If we take the full trolley route without getting off, approximately how long does that take for each route? In other cities that offer HOHO trolleys, we have taken the full route and then gone back to the places where we want to spend more time. Is this a good plan for Vancouver? Thanks, again!

Each loop or route takes just under 1.5 hrs depending upon traffic. Your idea of staying on for both loops and then going back to the attractions that interest you the most is a good one and one that I have recommended in the past. Like you this is something we have done in other cities....and what a deal you have....enjoy.:)

You all have been very informative. Having never been to Vancouver but having experienced HOHO's in many other cities, is there enough to do along the Vancouver HOHO route to justify a 2-day pass? In some cities such as Washington, DC and New York City, there is so much TO do that a 2-day pass is definitely the way to go if you have the time for 2 days. Is Vancouver much the same way or is a single day pass sufficient?

Thanks so much!!!

I think the best way to answer your question is to say that Stanley Park at 1,000 acres can't all be seen in a day. Throw in things like Granville Island, Gastown, the Maritime Museum, Chinatown and the Dr. Sun Yat Sen gardens.....sure you can keep busy for 2 days

Hi,

I know that Capilano Bridge has a free shuttle from Canada Place. We will be 12 people who want to go, including one fold up wheelchair. Do you think we will all be able to get on one shuttle? We were thinking of getting a day pass anyway because we wanted to also go to Granville Island,( does public transportation get you there? we are staying at Pan Pacific) and maybe Gastown too. Also if we take public transportation how do we go from the Pan Pacific to Capilano Bridge? Also from the Pan pacific to Stanley Park? Sorry to ask again I had been making a folder with notes but for some reason I can't bring it up. Thanks.

Edited by Poohx2

You have asked a number of questions so I will try to break it down for you:

Shuttle to Capilano Suspension Bridge: yes it will handle 12 of you. As I recall it will handle a folding wheelchair but is not accessible a person has to be able to climb 2 or 3 steps to get on the trolley. I would suggest that you phone the bridge on their 1-800 number to confirm this.

If you want to take transit to the bridge just walk over to Waterfront Station, you can purchase your day pass at the news vendor there and take the SeaBus across the harbour to Lonsdale Quay at the Quay you would transfer to a #236 bus and if you tell the operator he/she will let you off right across the street from the bridge entrance....reverse the process to come back.

When back at Waterfront Station you take the Cordova St. exit from the station, turn left and you are about 2 blocks before you enter the historic Gastown area.

From Waterfront Station to Granville Island ...catch a #50 bus tell the operator again that you are going to Granville Island and you will be let out about 2 blocks from the Island...it's a bit downhill onto the island and a bit up hill coming back. To get back to Waterfront Station just reverse the process.

Waterfront Station to Stanley Park....catch the #50 bus and transfer to a #19 bus at West Pender and Granville. This will get you to the park but there is no transit shuttle around the park any longer. However from the transit loop in the park you can take in a few of the sights of the Park.

Hi Putterdude,

Thank you so very much for the reply. You explained it perfectly for me to understand. I appreciate you always answering my questions. We will be in Vancouver on Sunday. I am so excited!!

Hey, I will be waving to you as you sail by on Tuesday , we always watch for what we call Mickey Mouse to sail by ....have a great cruise and visit in Vancouver.:)

Thank you PuttterDude!! We will be looking for you!! Thank you for all of the answers and advice!

We are leaving tomorrow and I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all who have responded and posted, not only to me but to everyone. When I first started on this thread I had no idea of what I was going to do and how. Now I know what I am doing and how. Thank you all so very much for all the answers and advice!!

We are leaving tomorrow and I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all who have responded and posted, not only to me but to everyone. When I first started on this thread I had no idea of what I was going to do and how. Now I know what I am doing and how. Thank you all so very much for all the answers and advice!!

Susan, have a wonderful time in Vancouver. Could you post a follow-up on this thread, letting us know what you did and what you, as a visitor, would recommend to other visitors to the city

DH and I will be flying into Vancouver in September, from the east coast. We are staying at the Sutton Place for 2 nights pre-cruise. You mentioned in previous posts getting all day passes at the 7-11.

1. Can you give us directions where to locate the nearest 7-11 when you get off the plane.

2. Can you tell me which train/line we would need to get on, going to the Sutton Place? Once at the hotel, we plan to drop off the luggage and catch a bus to the Granville Market.

3. Is there a bus that will drop you off close to the market from the Sutton Place?

Thanks,

Mary

I am back from hiking in the Rockies but not back in Vancouver + I am using my netbook so typing is the greatest - will attempt to answer some of these questions when I get back in a day or two

Cheers

Dennis

I'm curious as to what the weather should be like in mid-September on Grouse Mountain and Capilano? Trying to figure out what clothes we will need to wear. Also, will our shoes get muddy or fairly yucky on the Grouse Grind?

Our weather in September can be variable...but odds are you will experience temps in the mid-60's to low 70's. Yes, you could encounter some rain and you would have to dress for it with a light jacket and if we have a lot of rain during the week leading up to your visit you could get your shoes muddy. Sorry, I can't be more specific but even our weather forecasts are only good for about 36 to 48 hrs out.