Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Does anyone know of a good hairdresser for ladies haircut and colour in downtown Vancouver?
Here's some ideas from reader's choice awards....

http://www.straight.com/bov/2014/winners/3906

If you go to Steveston.... there's a barber shop that will shave logo's onto the back of your head. A great idea to show your support for your favourite cruise line... Call ahead for details.

http://www.stevestonbarbers.com/

Just found another place downtown... Chop Shop...

http://hockeygods.com/videos/36-Canucks_Hairstyles

The last time we were in Vancouver, we got on the Hop On Hop Off trolley tour at our hotel (Westin Bayshore). To get to Granville Island, we got off and boarded the False Creek Ferry, returning by the same route to finish the bus tour. It was great except that we waited for almost 45 minutes for the bus for the return trip after getting off the ferry. With nowhere to sit, and with age-related back and knee problems, this was somewhat of a problem after already walking quite a bit.

Since our mobility is even more limited now, questions for next trip coming up in May: Can we get a taxi on Granville Island for the return trip to the hotel? If so, where would be the best place to look for one? If we did that, would we really miss anything extra special on the last part of the bus tour?

Or...any other suggestions for the best way to get to and from the island?

Edited by Kartgv

Could someone please tell me what the fares would be for a taxi as opposed to the Skytrain from the Bus Depot to the Cruise ship terminal? there are 3 of us travelling

Assuming it's a long-distance coach (arriving at Pacific Central) on a non-cruise day it's less than $10 to get up to Canada Place - you might see the meter tick up another dollar or two while you wait in the conga-line of cabs entering the pier on a cruise day.

Given the hassles of taking large bags on the older Skytrain lines, unless you are doing one of the short coastals and traveling with only a carry-on take a cab... 3 people will pay $8.25 for Zone 1 transit tickets, and I've paid as little as $7.25 in a cab (pre-tip).

The last time we were in Vancouver, we got on the Hop On Hop Off trolley tour at our hotel (Westin Bayshore). To get to Granville Island, we got off and boarded the False Creek Ferry, returning by the same route to finish the bus tour. It was great except that we waited for almost 45 minutes for the bus for the return trip after getting off the ferry. With nowhere to sit, and with age-related back and knee problems, this was somewhat of a problem after already walking quite a bit.

Since our mobility is even more limited now, questions for next trip coming up in May: Can we get a taxi on Granville Island for the return trip to the hotel? If so, where would be the best place to look for one? If we did that, would we really miss anything extra special on the last part of the bus tour?

Or...any other suggestions for the best way to get to and from the island?

Yes - there are almost always cabs lined up on Johnston, just outside the main theatre & a few yards from the public market. You can often hail one passing by the kids market/cats socialhouse too - but then you're on the meter for the whole loop around the island in sloooooooooooow traffic.

Since it sounds like you already took the other part of the HOHO loop last time, I'm not sure what you mean about missing anything? The Trolley has added a couple of stops on the east end of the tour (Science World, Urban Winery) and amalgamated their original two loops into a single loop to keep things simpler. Other HOHOs have either died or merged but have not added any stops - so there's going to be very little difference in what you see other than some new boring condo towers that probably won't even be pointed out...

Since it sounds like you must have used the HOHO a while ago (I've never known of return ferry tickets to be handed out, just one-way) I should point out that the Granville Island HOHO stop is now less convenient than it was (it was next to a coffee shop and two bus stops with seats, now it's just a simple pull-in at 2nd & Fir with no seats around and about 100 yards further away).

Assuming it's a long-distance coach (arriving at Pacific Central) on a non-cruise day it's less than $10 to get up to Canada Place - you might see the meter tick up another dollar or two while you wait in the conga-line of cabs entering the pier on a cruise day.
That happened to me... At peak periods, I might tell the driver to drop me off at the Panny and then I'll drag my luggage down the parkade elevator to the docks.

Could someone please tell me what the fares would be for a taxi as opposed to the Skytrain from the Bus Depot to the Cruise ship terminal? there are 3 of us travelling
I vote taxi when you have luggage.

Thanks everyone for the tips on the haircut. I could see yesterday that posts had been made, but for some reason I couldn't get Cruise Critic up and running (my comp I'd say - all good today), so please don't think I was rude not responding yesterday.

I'll check the links - the pricing side I don't really mind, I have paid $300 (au $) for a great haircut in Perth when I lived down that way - now we are in small remote town and I think cut and foils is around the $100 mark - but nothing to write home about!

I don't mind if no discussion - but would like to be able to verbally advise what I'd like.

Not into having head shaved with a logo - when I was a young chickadee perhaps but not now! (in fact when I was young I did the blonde spiky thing, and the shaved sides with spikey hair.. the things we do to spin our parents out and look 'cool' in front of the other kids hey!) :)

That happened to me... At peak periods, I might tell the driver to drop me off at the Panny and then I'll drag my luggage down the parkade elevator to the docks.

Ok it is a cruise day. We are arriving by Pacific Coach lines since one traveler is my elderly mom I'll opt for the cab! Thanks for the advice. Are there usually cabs waiting at the depot or should we call for one??

Ok it is a cruise day. We are arriving by Pacific Coach lines since one traveler is my elderly mom I'll opt for the cab! Thanks for the advice. Are there usually cabs waiting at the depot or should we call for one??

Are you aware that there is one PCL trip each day from Victoria to Canada Place and a cab would not be necessary? But if you are coming on an earlier sked then there is normally a small cab line outside the station and if there are not any cabs there then there is a "direct" phone to dispatch.

The cab rank is directly outside the station entrance, curbside (Google Streetview shows it well - you simply turn left outside the door and join the end of the line of pax waiting). Local cabbies are well aware of scheduled arrivals and it's rare to walk out and not see a cab or two already there (for Amtrak there's usually a long line of them like you see from the Google car).

I'm planning on staying in a King room for one night pre-cruise at Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson St. (approximately $135 US), but I'm trying to decide whether to change to a King room at Pinnacle Hotel Vancouver Harbourfront (formerly Renaissance Vancouver) for approximately $168 US. The Pinnacle appears to be walking distance to Canada Place. I'd appreciate any advice from locals and people who have stayed at either or both hotels.

Thanks,

Mary

I'm planning on staying in a King room for one night pre-cruise at Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson St. (approximately $135 US), but I'm trying to decide whether to change to a King room at Pinnacle Hotel Vancouver Harbourfront (formerly Renaissance Vancouver) for approximately $168 US. The Pinnacle appears to be walking distance to Canada Place. I'd appreciate any advice from locals and people who have stayed at either or both hotels.

Thanks,

Mary

I would be inclined to stay at the BH if only for its location on Robson St. and all it's neat shops and restaurants. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Pinnacle or its location but it tends to be in a tunnel of tall buildings and you could be staying anywhere and have that.

Thanks,

Mary

Haven't stayed in either, but in terms of location the Pinnacle has the edge in terms of Canada Place - a very easy walk along level, wide sidewalks. BH is about twice as far, though still only 1.2km (~3/4mile), and as long as you avoid walking with suitcases along Robson (horribly congested sidewalks during summer shopping hours) is also a smooth trip with rolling luggage.

However BH is closer to Stanley Park (aquarium, totems, etc.) and also has a stop literally outside their door for the free shuttles to Capilano/Grouse; from Pinnacle you'd have to walk to just outside Canada Place or the Hyatt Regency (both 5-600metres away), to board the shuttles.

If you're planning to walk around town a bit, Pinnacle is a touch closer to Gastown & Chinatown, whereas BH is quite a bit closer to English Bay. Pretty much a wash walking to Yaletown.

Tons of restos near both - the Alberni batch is basically in-between them, though I'd give the edge in value restos to BH as there are more mid-range chain & small mom&pops along Robson than in Coal Harbour.

The Pinnacle just separated from Renaissance hotels a short time ago so unless there are dates on reviews you can't be sure if it's new or old management being referred to, things might be better or worse since the change...

Personally I'd consider reinvesting the price difference back into BH and asking for an upgrade to a View room - unless it specifically states you have a view you're getting a room without one in both cases. There have been a lot of great reports from folks who stayed in a high room at BH with views over to the mountains.

Thanks,

Mary

If I wasn't staying near the airport because of our car. I would chose the closer to Canada Place. Gastown is within walking distance from Canada Place. Plenty nice places to eat there.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Putterdude, Martincath, and Kamloops50,

Thanks to all of you for your advice about these two hotels. I think that we will stick with the Blue Horizon and spend the extra money that we'll save on restaurants or sightseeing. I have learned a lot about Vancouver on these boards and appreciate the time that locals spend answering questions and making suggestions to visitors. I look forward to visiting Vancouver!

Mary

Putterdude, Martincath, and Kamloops50,

Thanks to all of you for your advice about these two hotels. I think that we will stick with the Blue Horizon and spend the extra money that we'll save on restaurants or sightseeing. I have learned a lot about Vancouver on these boards and appreciate the time that locals spend answering questions and making suggestions to visitors. I look forward to visiting Vancouver!

Mary

Nice that we have been able to much your visit.

We you get home . Let this thread know your thoughts about Vancouver.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Are you aware that there is one PCL trip each day from Victoria to Canada Place and a cab would not be necessary? But if you are coming on an earlier sked then there is normally a small cab line outside the station and if there are not any cabs there then there is a "direct" phone to dispatch.

Yes we are aware of the direct PCL but it's only on the 11 am sailing so arrive at Canada Place at 145 pm. From what I've gathered info wise and experience, the cruise line up is really long by this time. We are hoping to catch the 9 am sailing and arrive around noon to Canada Place and hopefully it won't be as busy. If it's a nice day we may just do the skytrain way but that may be a bit much for my mom.

Haven't stayed in either, but in terms of location the Pinnacle has the edge in terms of Canada Place - a very easy walk along level, wide sidewalks. BH is about twice as far, though still only 1.2km (~3/4mile), and as long as you avoid walking with suitcases along Robson (horribly congested sidewalks during summer shopping hours) is also a smooth trip with rolling luggage.

However BH is closer to Stanley Park (aquarium, totems, etc.) and also has a stop literally outside their door for the free shuttles to Capilano/Grouse; from Pinnacle you'd have to walk to just outside Canada Place or the Hyatt Regency (both 5-600metres away), to board the shuttles.

If you're planning to walk around town a bit, Pinnacle is a touch closer to Gastown & Chinatown, whereas BH is quite a bit closer to English Bay. Pretty much a wash walking to Yaletown.

Tons of restos near both - the Alberni batch is basically in-between them, though I'd give the edge in value restos to BH as there are more mid-range chain & small mom&pops along Robson than in Coal Harbour.

The Pinnacle just separated from Renaissance hotels a short time ago so unless there are dates on reviews you can't be sure if it's new or old management being referred to, things might be better or worse since the change...

Personally I'd consider reinvesting the price difference back into BH and asking for an upgrade to a View room - unless it specifically states you have a view you're getting a room without one in both cases. There have been a lot of great reports from folks who stayed in a high room at BH with views over to the mountains.

Thanks for the info on the BH. We will be staying there onMay 7-8th. We plan on walking to the ship and it sounds like that is doable.

Another vote for BH.... while Pinnacle is a nicer looking building... BH's Robson ambience gets my vote.

With regards to Pinnacle's location to Gastown.... It's a 13 minute hike to get there for the restaurants.... BH's Robson restaurants are much closer...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Richards+St&daddr=Vancouver+Marriott+Pinnacle+Downtown+Hotel,+1128+W+Hastings+St,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia+V6E+4R5,+Canada&hl=en&sll=49.285038,-123.113523&sspn=0.011981,0.023689&geocode=FU4G8AIdEHqp-A%3BFXkT8AIdhlWp-CkNbsjvg3GGVDGYGUyNhHaJNg&oq=gastown&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

It's 8 minutes to walk between the two hotels....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Blue+Horizon+Hotel,+Robson+Street,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Vancouver+Marriott+Pinnacle+Downtown+Hotel,+1128+W+Hastings+St,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia+V6E+4R5,+Canada&hl=en&ll=49.287403,-123.123897&spn=0.00599,0.011845&sll=49.286051,-123.115569&sspn=0.00599,0.011845&geocode=FX8N8AId6Tmp-CG6Vk89wu59Aik9BpHJgHGGVDG6Vk89wu59Ag%3BFXkT8AIdhlWp-CkNbsjvg3GGVDGYGUyNhHaJNg&oq=blue+hori&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

With luggage.... I would cab it from airport to BH and a second cab to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the info on the BH. We will be staying there onMay 7-8th. We plan on walking to the ship and it sounds like that is doable.
It's a 16 minute hike... I would cab it with luggage...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Blue+Horizon+Hotel,+Robson+Street,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=49.287543,-123.119423&sspn=0.011981,0.023689&geocode=FX8N8AId6Tmp-CG6Vk89wu59Aik9BpHJgHGGVDG6Vk89wu59Ag%3BFasT8AId9HWp-A&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&t=m&z=16

Another vote for BH.... while Pinnacle is a nicer looking building... BH's Robson ambience gets my vote.

With regards to Pinnacle's location to Gastown.... It's a 13 minute hike to get there for the restaurants.... BH's Robson restaurants are much closer...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Richards+St&daddr=Vancouver+Marriott+Pinnacle+Downtown+Hotel,+1128+W+Hastings+St,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia+V6E+4R5,+Canada&hl=en&sll=49.285038,-123.113523&sspn=0.011981,0.023689&geocode=FU4G8AIdEHqp-A%3BFXkT8AIdhlWp-CkNbsjvg3GGVDGYGUyNhHaJNg&oq=gastown&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=17

It's 8 minutes to walk between the two hotels....

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Blue+Horizon+Hotel,+Robson+Street,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Vancouver+Marriott+Pinnacle+Downtown+Hotel,+1128+W+Hastings+St,+Vancouver,+British+Columbia+V6E+4R5,+Canada&hl=en&ll=49.287403,-123.123897&spn=0.00599,0.011845&sll=49.286051,-123.115569&sspn=0.00599,0.011845&geocode=FX8N8AId6Tmp-CG6Vk89wu59Aik9BpHJgHGGVDG6Vk89wu59Ag%3BFXkT8AIdhlWp-CkNbsjvg3GGVDGYGUyNhHaJNg&oq=blue+hori&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

With luggage.... I would cab it from airport to BH and a second cab to the cruise terminal.

Thanks XIXO!

We plan to take cabs from train station to BH and from hotel to Canada Place.

Mary

Yes we are aware of the direct PCL but it's only on the 11 am sailing so arrive at Canada Place at 145 pm. From what I've gathered info wise and experience, the cruise line up is really long by this time. We are hoping to catch the 9 am sailing and arrive around noon to Canada Place and hopefully it won't be as busy. If it's a nice day we may just do the skytrain way but that may be a bit much for my mom.

While it never hurts to arrive early, generally the lines are longest between 10:30 and 1:00 as people rush to get aboard to have that prepaid lunch. As a rule the lineups tend to dissipate about 2:00 pm.