Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I have booked with Hotwire two months in advance for a Hotel in Vancouver and fortunately got the Pan Pacific at a very reasonable rate. This is the first time I have used Hotwire and I noticed on http://www.betterbidding.com that reservations with Hotwire are mostly made very close to the reservation date.

Regards

I would really like to book the Pan Pacific for our pre-cruise stay next July. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a good deal? How far ahead do hotels normally book on Hotwire? How long should I wait?? Any advice is appreciated!!

thanks!

Hi,

I have booked Pan Pacific for next August. They have a AAA rate. Not the lowest but at least we have the hotel booked. Good luck!

Susan

We are arriving in VC in 8 days for cruise to Hawaii. Trying to determine how to pack, and if we need a jacket. What is the average temp during the day and evening?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary, you will definitely need a jacket or light coat. Temperatures in September can range from 10 - 20+ Celsius (50 to 70+ Fahrenheit). Occasionally we get some hot (for us) temps in the mid 70s F, but more often than not, temps will be in the 60s F.

If you've got room, a collapsible umbrella might also be a good idea. Mid to late September is the beginning of our rainy season. All that being said, you may luck out and get glorious, sunny early fall weather. :)

Edited by ell52

I would really like to book the Pan Pacific for our pre-cruise stay next July. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a good deal? How far ahead do hotels normally book on Hotwire? How long should I wait?? Any advice is appreciated!!

thanks!

I think it's too early to get good deal at the Pan Pacific for next summer. As others mentioned, your best bet is through Hot Wire (easier to figure out what hotel you're getting). Also keep your eye out for promos they offer from time to time. Priceline is another option, but much riskier if you have your heart set on the Pan Pacific.

Elle52,

Thanks for the info. We live in the NW corner of NJ. Our evenings get cool between 48-60. Our days are warmer around 70-82. One item I forgot to include was a small umbrella. Our rainy season is in the spring. The umbrella will go in a suitcase today.

Mary

Hi,

We may be taking a night flight into Vancouver, arriving at 1:30 am. Can anyone, please recommend a good hotel, near the airport possibly with a free shuttle? We have the Pan Pacific booked for the other 2 nights but it is alot of money to pay since we will probably only be checking in at around 3am or so.

Thanks,

Susan

Hi,

We may be taking a night flight into Vancouver, arriving at 1:30 am. Can anyone, please recommend a good hotel, near the airport possibly with a free shuttle? We have the Pan Pacific booked for the other 2 nights but it is alot of money to pay since we will probably only be checking in at around 3am or so.

Thanks,

Susan

There are a number of hotels close to the airport. Fairmont have a hotel which is part of the the airport, Delta would be the next closest, there is a Hilton not far away, however you would need to check with the hotel to see if they operate a 24 hour shuttle.

Heads up everyone there is now a shuttle service to the airport provided by the Aerocar people called Aeroshuttle YVR and here is a link.

http://aeroshuttleyvr.ca/

Have seen there vans around downtown the last week so decided to check out what they were all about.

Cheers

Dennis

There are a number of hotels close to the airport. Fairmont have a hotel which is part of the the airport, Delta would be the next closest, there is a Hilton not far away, however you would need to check with the hotel to see if they operate a 24 hour shuttle.

Hi,

Thank you for the information. We have actually decided against the overnight flights. We think it may be too much for the older people in our group.

This site is great! My family and I will be spending a few days in Vancouver post cruise next May. We would like to go o Granville Island and to Victoria to see the gardens. Is the sightseeing trolley wheelchair accessible? I know that Victoria will involve an entire day with transit and everything.

Many thanks

Well first, we will look forward to your visit. However, unfortunately the Vancouver Trolley is not accessible...I am quite sensitive about this as I have a wife who suffers from MS. I have spoken to the trolley people about this in the past and they have said that if the person can handle the couple of stairs into the trolley they will take a folding wheelchair. However I would reconfirm this with them closer to the date by phoning them on their 1-800 number or by sending them an email.

Oh, that is disappointing. I was hoping when I read about all the new transportation systems and the Para Olympic games being held there, surely it would have accessible tours. My daughter is a full time wheelchair user. I am sure we will have a wonderful time.

Thanks for your quick reply.

For $9.00 you can buy an all day transit pass - all of our public transportation is fully wheelchair accessible and will get you to most of the places that the HOHO stops at.

Many of the extra private large buses used for transporting the Paralympians around the venues and up to Whistler were brought in from the US because they have extra loading ramps and removable seats.

Perhaps PD can help me with this but are the Land and Sea tour buses not somewhat accessible.

Hopefully we will be able to solve this for you and you can enjoy our visit.

Cheers

Dennis

Here`s a link to a web article written by an accessible individual on how he was able to get around Vancouver.

I never knew that the horse drawn carriage tours in Stanley Park were accessible.

http://www.goworldtravel.com/ex/aspx/articleGuid.%7B00595850-04B3-4CD3-B64A-5592AD239309%7D/xe/print.htm

Just a word of caution some of the info is a little dated - there is no longer an airporter shuttle as the Canada Line now serves that purpose and all buses are now ramped equipped.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Oh, that is disappointing. I was hoping when I read about all the new transportation systems and the Para Olympic games being held there, surely it would have accessible tours. My daughter is a full time wheelchair user. I am sure we will have a wonderful time.

Thanks for your quick reply.

While private buses/tours are not necessarily accessible, all of public transit is. The Skytrain (elevated/subway trains, all buses have load ramps, and seabus-the water taxi across burrard inlet). And $9/day.

Hi

This is our first time in US and Canada and we would love some feedback on what we plan to do between our two cruises. The first finishes in Vancouver on the 8th May 2011 and we have booked to stay at L'Hermitage Hotel for 1 night, sightsee the next day and then catch the Amtrak Train at 5.45pm to Seattle. We are looking to stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel for 1 night and then our next cruise leaves Seattle the next day Tuesday 10th May 2011. Does this all sound OK? Have we left enough time to comfortably do this? Is it too early if I book and purchase the Amtrak tickets now? Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions etc.

Kerry:)