Flight Information - Veendam Alaska Cruise

atmywitsend

I know you're trying to upbeat and reassuring, PathfinderEss, but if Mr. Murphy takes center stage, 3 hours may become not enough time. "You will make your cruise" but it may be starting in Juneau.

Unless the Canadian domestic aviation routes are beset with problemas, wildcat strikes, mechanical issues out the ying yang and/or the mother of all weather systems, she'll make that flight into beautiful Vancouver, BC on-time to meet that dam ship! I'll eat my hat if she doesn't - with salt & pepper plus I'll have the child bride take a picture of it!

Positive thoughts my friends, positive thoughts!;)

Unless the Canadian domestic aviation routes are beset with problemas, wildcat strikes, mechanical issues out the ying yang and/or the mother of all weather systems, she'll make that flight into beautiful Vancouver, BC on-time to meet that dam ship!
All it takes is ONE little mechanical or electronic problem on ONE plane to blow all or most of that three hour window.

On our last flight we were just about ready to back out when the captain announced that one of the restraining webs in the baggage compartment was not fastening properly, and all baggage had to be moved to the forward end of the plane ... and all passengers in the center section over the wing had to be moved to the back of the plane to balance the weight. Almost two hours later we backed away from the terminal.

On another flight I was on an electronics problem meant that another plane had to be "brought in" from about 3 hours away. It doesn't take much to blow 3 hours when flying. :eek:

OTOH, there's so much "slop" built into schedules these days that there's a good chance that the OP's plane will arrive 30 to 45 minutes AHEAD of schedule! :)

And it's not a "3 hour window." If the plane lands at 2, it will be at least 2:30, more likely 2:45 before you can get out of the airport. You need to be on board an hour before departure, which would mean 4:00. So that's barely a 1 hour window to deal with any sort of a problem in the air, or on the ground - even something as simple as a traffic jam.

Positive thoughts my friends, positive thoughts!;)

Ok CCer's, the world may come to an end before this poor first time cruisers Alaskan trip comes to foition, but I'm with Copper10-8, could we just think positive thoughts for atmywitsend. Atmywitsend aren't you glad you ask for our impute. Did we happen to alive any of your stress?

After you go on your cruise, please come back to the boards and let us know how it went.

And it's not a "3 hour window." If the plane lands at 2, it will be at least 2:30, more likely 2:45 before you can get out of the airport. You need to be on board an hour before departure, which would mean 4:00. So that's barely a 1 hour window to deal with any sort of a problem in the air, or on the ground - even something as simple as a traffic jam.

I'm sorry, but do we really think Hal would book atmywitsend on a flight that would NOT make it to the ship on time. Yes, it will probably take them 30 min. to get out of the airport and yes Hal would like you to be on board an hour before the ship leaves but that certainly is not written in blood. I've seen many cruisers getting on board seconds before the ship pulls away from the dock and we've been several hours late because of passengers coming in late from different airports.

I think in atmywitsend first post they mention that their TA had called Hal and this was the reply "she said she had already contacted HAL about this and they said it is fine, the shuttle will be there." So my guess is that Hal is aware of the time they booked atmywitsend flight for and believe they can get atmywitsend to the ship on time.

Ok CCer's, the world may come to an end before this poor first time cruisers Alaskan trip comes to foition, but I'm with Copper10-8, could we just think positive thoughts for atmywitsend. Atmywitsend aren't you glad you ask for our impute. Did we happen to alive any of your stress? After you go on your cruise, please come back to the boards and let us know how it went.

fruition

input

alleviate

I'm sorry, but do we really think Hal would book atmywitsend on a flight that would NOT make it to the ship on time. Yes, it will probably take them 30 min. to get out of the airport and yes Hal would like you to be on board an hour before the ship leaves but that certainly is not written in blood. I've seen many cruisers getting on board seconds before the ship pulls away from the dock and we've been several hours late because of passengers coming in late from different airports.

It's not HAL's policy that requires they be on board 1 hour before sailing, but the friendly folks at US Homeland Security (since the first port of call is in the US). So now you're talking about delaying departure for a late plane PLUS having to sit idle for another hour. It's just not gonna happen. The OP needs to get that flight changed - for peace of mind, if nothing else.

The ship will leave when the dockmaster tells it to leave no matter if there are no passengers on board.

• Administrators
Ok CCer's, the world may come to an end before this poor first time cruisers Alaskan trip comes to foition, but I'm with Copper10-8, could we just think positive thoughts for atmywitsend. Atmywitsend aren't you glad you ask for our impute. Did we happen to alive any of your stress?

After you go on your cruise, please come back to the boards and let us know how it went.

I can think good thoughts, clap because I believe in fairies, and wish Tinkerbell would come back to life from now until the OP's cruise.... but that doesn't change a few facts. Fact number one in my mind when I read the OP's post was an airplane trip I took last summer from Atlanta to Reno. We were at the airport... we had pax.... we had a plane... we had a cockpit crew. We were missing a flight crew (cabin attendants) because those booked for our flight had timed out due to weather delays in Texas. SIX HOURS LATER the substitute crew arrived (we'd waited for them to fly into Fort Lauderdale, and then to Atlanta), and we took off.

Just that... just that one thing... a flight crew on a flight in an unrelated city were delayed for an hour by weather, which triggered regulations requiring them to rest... and our entire flight of pax was six hours late into Reno. On that occasion, no biggie. On the same day as a cruise, especially with a time frame as tight as the one HAL booked for the OP... that's a disaster.

Second fact... the ship does NOT have to wait for you. They likely will try, and some lines try harder than others (sounds like HAL is in the "we try harder" category)... but time and tide waits for no man (or ship). On a 7 day itinerary, catching up to the ship on day 3 would stink.

To the OP, yes, I think you have reason to worry, and I would be exploring all options with the cruiseline and the airline to make this better. How unfortunate for your first cruise. :(

atmywitsend, as you can see we cannot agree on your delema about your flight to Vancouver. Some see the glass half full and others see it half empty, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think your going to have to make your own decission on what feels most comfortable for you, and if you do decide to change your flight, I hope you can do it without to much hassle or cost. Sorry if we have confused you more, we really did have good intentions of helping you. Much to some, I do not believe in fairies call Tinkerbell, what I do believe in is my own experience with Hal over the years and other cruiselines, and though I did not ask for the spelling lesson, thanks NancyIL, I'll tell my spell check to add those corrections

atmywitsend, as you can see we cannot agree on your delema about your flight to Vancouver. Some see the glass half full and others see it half empty, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think your going to have to make your own decission on what feels most comfortable for you, and if you do decide to change your flight, I hope you can do it without to much hassle or cost. Sorry if we have confused you more, we really did have good intentions of helping you. Much to some, I do not believe in fairies call Tinkerbell, what I do believe in is my own experience with Hal over the years and other cruiselines, and though I did not ask for the spelling lesson, thanks NancyIL, I'll tell my spell check to add those corrections

I'm sorry, Melodie - I was in a cranky mood when I posted.

... we really did have good intentions of helping you.
Is being cheerfully optimistic and having "positive thoughts" helping? I'm sure that most of the time 3 hours from touchdown to on-board in Vancouver is tight but possible ... but it leaves extremely little margin for problems that occur frequently when flying today. If atmywitsend can in any way change that flight she should do so. IMHO.

• Administrators
I'm sorry, Melodie - I was in a cranky mood when I posted.

And I wasn't cranky... I was just showing my age! Back in the day when Peter Pan (with Mary Martin as Peter) was on tv every year a big part of the show was "clapping if you believe in fairies," and it's just always been part of my "persona" when looking at something really not pleasant to think about, but where you HOPE something good will happen -- that's when you "clap for fairies" to try to help. My other one is "I'll think about it tomorrow, at Tara... for after all, tomorrow is another day!" but that's a little too Southern! :)

Sorry, I'm an old tv/movie fan!

Everyone, many thanks for all your replies.

I have read all of them with much interest, and I appreciate everyone of them.

I will take a day or two and maybe try my TA again, to see if HAL will make the change, if only for my piece of mind.

I have already made my final payment, so I hope I'll make the ship, and not be pointed at as the person who "held us up". I would feel so bad.

Yes, I have a 7-day round trip Vancouver itinerary, with the first stop on day 3 in Juneau, so I wouldn't want to catch up there, plus, where do I stay before I get there? (I won't even begin to worry about that).

Again, many thanks for all your replies. Have a great day everyone!

Gayle

:o)

Thank-you everyone for all your replies.

First of all, if this is a double post, I apologize, but I received an error message on the first try.

Anyways, I am going to think about it for a couple days, and maybe I will contact my TA again, so see if she would ask HAL to change my flight. I don't like to think of weather delays, but we are having a snowstorm right now, which makes me think anything can happen.

Yes, since the ship makes it first stop in Juneau on day 3 of my 7-day round trip Vancouver cruise, I would miss almost half of it if the ship had to leave without me. Plus the last thing I want is to be labelled as "that's the one" who made us late (bow head in shame here).

I knew, that I would depend of all the wonderful people here, that I would get honest answers, and answers that came from experience.

Have a great day everyone.

Gayle

:0)

Everyone, many thanks for all your replies.

I have read all of them with much interest, and I appreciate everyone of them.

I will take a day or two and maybe try my TA again, to see if HAL will make the change, if only for my piece of mind.

I have already made my final payment, so I hope I'll make the ship, and not be pointed at as the person who "held us up". I would feel so bad.

Yes, I have a 7-day round trip Vancouver itinerary, with the first stop on day 3 in Juneau, so I wouldn't want to catch up there, plus, where do I stay before I get there? (I won't even begin to worry about that).

Again, many thanks for all your replies. Have a great day everyone!

Gayle

:o)

I'm on the northbound Veendam in July, and incorrectly assumed you were also on a one-way cruise. IF you should miss the ship (and hopefully you won't), you would fly to Seattle and then to Juneau to catch up with the ship. You would probably spend the 1st night in either Vancouver or Seattle, and the 2nd night in Juneau. If you bought trip insurance, it will reimburse you for situations like that. I don't know if HAL would cover hotel costs.

And I wasn't cranky... I was just showing my age! Back in the day when Peter Pan (with Mary Martin as Peter) was on tv every year a big part of the show was "clapping if you believe in fairies," and it's just always been part of my "persona" when looking at something really not pleasant to think about, but where you HOPE something good will happen -- that's when you "clap for fairies" to try to help. My other one is "I'll think about it tomorrow, at Tara... for after all, tomorrow is another day!" but that's a little too Southern! :)

Sorry, I'm an old tv/movie fan!

As a child, I watched Peter Pan on TV every year, too! (We have that on VHS, and I ought to watch it again.) The Disney version says, "with faith, trust, and pixie dust..." I've never watched all of "Gone With the Wind"! :eek:

Archived