Wine Carry-on Policy

mp006

Mybagsarepacked - I just went to totalwine dot com, found the Ft. Lauderdale store, clicked on start shopping, and then on their total catalogue. It appears to list everything they carry. Hope this helps. I know that a couple we met onboard was thrilled to order their wine, and have it boxed and ready when they pulled up in the taxi. Have a great cruise...Cherie

As far as the markup on HAL with their wines, I too agree it's high. I mean Sutter Home wines go for about $6-7 at home, but onboard we're looking at $27ish.

Dan

And how much does a bottle of Sutter Home wine cost in a good restaurant in your area? That's what you should be comparing against, not retail stores.

Most restaurants around us have a 50 - 100% mark up, not even close to 300%. But it really doesn't matter, if you don't want to carry wine onboard and pay the corkage fee, it's vacation and you hopefully will be able to enjoy the glass or bottle of wine of your choice!!

Wow! I just started reading your thoughts regarding the wine policy. The only reason I asked about HAL's wine was that I thought on a previous "wine" thread, someone mentioned they waived the corkage fee...obviously not the case. I think we will bring wine on-board to drink in our stateroom...does anyone know of good wines in the Seattle area? We'll be visiting my husband's cousin in Kingston prior to the cruise, so I'm going to try to pick up a couple of local favorites. The wine card sounds like the way to go for dinner; I'm not a picky wine drinker, but I do like a semi-sweet red, white, or zinfandel.

Wow! I just started reading your thoughts regarding the wine policy. The only reason I asked about HAL's wine was that I thought on a previous "wine" thread, someone mentioned they waived the corkage fee...obviously not the case. I think we will bring wine on-board to drink in our stateroom...does anyone know of good wines in the Seattle area? We'll be visiting my husband's cousin in Kingston prior to the cruise, so I'm going to try to pick up a couple of local favorites. The wine card sounds like the way to go for dinner; I'm not a picky wine drinker, but I do like a semi-sweet red, white, or zinfandel.

There are ways to negotiate the corkage fee, but if you are only talking about a few bottles then it's probably not worth doing that. On our last cruise with 4 other wine loving couples we hosted wine tastings at dinner each night. Because of the number of bottles involved (none of them on HAL's wine list) we were able to negotiate a charge that everyone involved seemed happy with, I hope this helps.

Re: The Wine List. Never mind. I got my docs today and the wines available to purchase in a package are listed.

The FLL store will deliver orders of $200 or more to your hotel within a 20 miles radius but not to the cruise ship area. You do have to call the store directly and not go through the web site to get that though.

Mybagsarepacked - I just went to totalwine dot com, found the Ft. Lauderdale store, clicked on start shopping, and then on their total catalogue. It appears to list everything they carry. Hope this helps. I know that a couple we met onboard was thrilled to order their wine, and have it boxed and ready when they pulled up in the taxi. Have a great cruise...Cherie

this is so cool. Thanks a million for helping me figure it out. I am going to call them tomorrow.

I have transfers through HAL from the airport to the ship, but may cancel the outbound ones and just take a taxi so I can manage this arrangement of picking up the wines.

Thanks a ton!

Local vineyards in the area are Chateau St. Michelle...I have a friend who lives here in Atlanta ( I moved back here two years ago after living in Seattle for 7 years ) and the only thing she'll drink is chateau st. michelle riesling. It is too sweet for me, I prefer very dry white or red wine. There are lots of great Washington State and Oregon wines and all of them are available all over in the Seattle area.

Ok, I give up...the search engine is down and I've looked at 5 pages for the thread about the wine. Sorry to bring this up again. If my DH and I bring on a bottle of wine that is included in HAL'S wine list that they serve, will we be able to take the bottle to dinner with us without a corkage fee? Thank you!

I brought 3 bottles of wine on board that were on the wine list faxed to me by HAL in January...only to find out they changed the wine list by the time we did our 02/06 sailing on the Noordam...so were charged the $15 corkage fee. The wine steward didn't charge us for the 3rd bottle.

I think it's totally at their discretion...or so it seemed to me.

There are ways to negotiate the corkage fee' date=' but if you are only talking about a few bottles then it's probably not worth doing that. On our last cruise with 4 other wine loving couples we hosted wine tastings at dinner each night. Because of the number of bottles involved (none of them on HAL's wine list) we were able to negotiate a charge that everyone involved seemed happy with, I hope this helps.[/font']

My sister is a wino..er...I mean wine connossieur. We are cruising with them next month. We plan to order wine at Total Wine. Are you saying there is no limit on the amount of bottles you can bring onboard? If we wanted to bring two cases, it wouldn't be a problem? We just pay the $15/bottle corkage fee?

Sweet....

To those who have ordered from Total Wine, do they or do they not deliver to your hotel on orders over $200 (Ft. Lauderdale store specifically).

Lastly, how are the boxes packed? I mean, do they have a handle for easy carrying, or should be bring something to carry them in (and if so, anybody have a suggestin on what to pack 2 cases of wine in)?

Jo-Ann

When we order wine from a store precruise we request it be backed in the styrofoam shippers. Any decent wine store will have them on hand IME.

We bring a case or two on each cruise. We happily pay the corkage and also take good care of the Sommeliers on board. Being winos ourselves, we always a taste to the Sommelier which is generally graciously accepted.

We always bring wines not on HALs list as we appreciate being able to bring our own onboard. Many lines have elminated or severely restricted that option or have an exorbitant corkage fee for the little they do permit. We really want HAL to continue to offer this option and would not abuse the privilege.

One more question...although this doesn't apply to wine specifically.

I have preordered a bottle of citron vodka to be sent to our cabin (I ordered it through HAL's gift list). Since I purchased it from HAL, is it considered "okay" to make a drink and bring it to the pool area? I wouldn't bring it in to a cocktail lounge, but I'm thinking it might save me a few bucks at the pool and besides, I have a concoction I made up that I prefer to any other foo-foo drinks.

Jo-Ann

Are you saying there is no limit on the amount of bottles you can bring onboard? If we wanted to bring two cases, it wouldn't be a problem? We just pay the $15/bottle corkage fee?

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Our group of 5 couples brought aboard 6 cases of wine. No problem on Holland America. On our cruise aboard the Windsurf with another couple we also each brought a case of wine, again not an issue. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise and your wine.
Shirley
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='jerseygirl3']One more question...although this doesn't apply to wine specifically.

I have preordered a bottle of citron vodka to be sent to our cabin (I ordered it through HAL's gift list). Since I purchased it from HAL, is it considered "okay" to make a drink and bring it to the pool area? I wouldn't bring it in to a cocktail lounge, but I'm thinking it might save me a few bucks at the pool and besides, I have a concoction I made up that I prefer to any other foo-foo drinks.

Jo-Ann[/quote]

No, it's only for consumption in your cabin.

[quote name='dakrewser']No, it's only for consumption in your cabin.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that's fine. One other question. I like to mix the Citron vodka with cranberry juice. However, I prefer diet cranberry juice, which you can't find onboard. Am I allowed to bring on a bottle of my own cranberry juice for use in my cabin?

[quote name='jerseygirl3']Okay, that's fine. One other question. I like to mix the Citron vodka with cranberry juice. However, I prefer diet cranberry juice, which you can't find onboard. Am I allowed to bring on a bottle of my own cranberry juice for use in my cabin?[/quote]

Yep you sure can

I have an order from Total Wine scheduled to be delivered to my hotel (Springhill Suites) in FLL next Saturday. I will let you know how it is packed when I receive it. I was told to ask for Carol when I ordered the wine, and she has been very helpful. They also have some great ports.

Ok, lets say you have a case of wine. How do you carry it onboard? Several have mentioned multiple cases of wine....just curious as to how this is done.

Do you just wheel it on inside a suitcase or can arrangements be made to have it delivered to your cabin?

[quote name='jerseygirl3']My sister is a wino..er...I mean wine connossieur. We are cruising with them next month. We plan to order wine at Total Wine. Are you saying there is no limit on the amount of bottles you can bring onboard? If we wanted to bring two cases, it wouldn't be a problem? We just pay the $15/bottle corkage fee?

Sweet....

To those who have ordered from Total Wine, do they or do they not deliver to your hotel on orders over $200 (Ft. Lauderdale store specifically).

Lastly, how are the boxes packed? I mean, do they have a handle for easy carrying, or should be bring something to carry them in (and if so, anybody have a suggestin on what to pack 2 cases of wine in)?

Jo-Ann[/quote]

[quote name='HappyCruiser44']Ok, lets say you have a case of wine. How do you carry it onboard? Several have mentioned multiple cases of wine....just curious as to how this is done.

Do you just wheel it on inside a suitcase or can arrangements be made to have it delivered to your cabin?[/quote]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It goes right along with your luggage. Put your tags that HAL provided on the boxes and it will be delivered to your cabin along with your luggage. FYI, when we gave the dock workers all our luggage including the cases of wine, we also gave them a tip for their trouble. Not sure if this is necessary but it did seem not only fair but possibly wise. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='jerseygirl3']Since I purchased it from HAL, is it considered "okay" to make a drink and bring it to the pool area? [/quote]Put it in a coffee mug - maybe even a HAL coffee mug - and who will know what you're drinking?

Archived