Cruising with toddlers

clonegirl

Well..Your a Mom,so you already know this..But be flexible...things will not always go the way you plan...The little ones get pretty tired with all the activity,swimming,being in the sun etc...They will fall asleep in the strangest places and at the strangest times :)

We took ours on his first when he was 31/2...And he loved it...He still talks about it,and has been on 3....He has even chosed a cruise,over Disney...

Where are you going? We have taken our 2 boys on every cruise we've been on since they've been born! Our 4 y/o has been on 8, and our 2 y/o has been on 4! We've been on Carnival, RCCL, Norweigan, and Disney with the kids! Glad to answer any questions you might have. Dinner can be tricky. We always tried to time it when they would be asleep! The kids go to the kids programs as soon as they were old enough! They love them. (2 on Norweigan)

We're going out of San Juan to Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Curacao. We'll have my parents and sister/bil with us so that will help!

I'm sure that my parents will want to have the kids with us as much as possible so we'll see how it goes. My DD is too young (2) to drop off at AO so we'll have to hire in-room babysitting if we don't take them to dinner with us. Hope they behave!

After a whole bunch of family vacations, some cruises, my only advise to you is: don't plan and make sure you don't miss nap time!!!! Naps in strollers don't really count, the kids are still tired after sleeping in a stroller.

Parents have to give up time for the kids to rest, no matter where you are. A well rested child is a happy one, a cranky kid can ruin the whole week. Vacation is a different experience when enjoyed with a small child and you should not expect any adult time with the exception of when they are in the kids club or you have a sitter to watch them for a few hours.

If it were me, I'd not go on a structured excursion unless it was to a beach, a zoo or a place that had a pool. Children, especially toddlers, have absolutely no interest in sight seeing and they have not yet learned the concept of time. They are delighted with colorful things, funny people and water. Although they absorb and learn every single day, they are not yet ready to appreciate history or culture. Unless, of course, it includes other toddlers to play with!

I'd never tell a person to leave their kids at home if they want to bring them along, but you do have to go with realistic goals in mind. If you do have a loving grandparent that will watch them for a week so you and your spouse can get away, do it! Everyone will gain from that scenario, the parents get a break and a rest, happy parents make better parents. Grands get a week away from the restrictions of parents and the bond grows stronger.

Oops, didn't read your last post very well. It sounds like you have the best solution of all!!

Archived