Dog Sledding In Alaska

TWO4THESEA

Both offer dog contact with Caribou Crossing, probably more. Both have cart rides and both have the owners/keepers available for commentary. More similiarities than differences in my opinion.

You are the QUEEN! I will just schedule the Chilikoot Charters Yukon exploration. We'll enjoy the dogs in Caribou crossing which will save us a bunch of money. Now I need to find a different way to enjoy the rest of our time in Skagway. What's the next best thing?

Now I need to find a different way to enjoy the rest of our time in Skagway. What's the next best thing?

We're goin' for the hookers and booze...

Ghosts & Goodtime Girls: Historical Walking Tour - SK06

SKN_GhostGoodGirls_175.jpg

The various train excursions are fun too

those are some incredible pics you've got there

I mean-i've BEEN to many of those places and your slideshow made them seem NEW to me-well done!

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys! Thanks, but I have to give all the credit to dh! he is an engineer, so that explains it all! Lol!:D

Awesome picures Buccaneergirl! I can't wait! I see that a lot of people when with shirt sleeves rolled up or only light jackets. Were you ever TOO cold?

Being from FL, I was mostly cold but didn't mind as I am usually the one down here that is always hot! Layering is the key! The coldest times were the day at Glacier Bay on our balcony and up on the glacier dog sledding.

Have fun!

Great pictures! Go Bucs. I'm from Tampa. Nice to see all the sunshine and blue jeans. Everyone says not to wear blue jeans - they will get wet and cold. What did you think - I have two teenagers and that's all they own - plus I don't want to spend $$ on other clothes if not needed. Were you comfortable - did you wear long underwear underneath.

Especially enjoyed all the brew pubs - looks like fun.

I didn't want to go out and buy a new wardrobe for AK, so jeans were all we had. It was perfect and I had no complaints. We did not wear long underwear (took them the 1st AK cruise and didn't need them) but did have hiking shoes that I water proofed with Scotchguard and layered my tops. The one big red Bucs jacket I am wearing is my "winter coat" down here. It was nice to wear it so much in the 12 days we were there!

Dh loves to try microbrews so I research wherever we are going so he can get a taste of the local beers. It was fun!

We just upgraded our Bucs season tickets from the least expensive(5 rows from the top) to club level. I can't wait for August!:)

Awesome pictures, Buccaneergirl!

It looked as if the two of you were the only ones at the dog sled camp. Were there other tourists there? Was yours a ship excursion, or independent?

Also, did you use a telephoto lens to take the pictures of the animals in Denali Park, or were you really that close?

There were other people there. Maybe 12 to 15 others?

I know you can save $$ by booking independent excursions but we always book through the cruiseline for my peace of mind. The first time we were in AK, we saw a group of women get left behind. We waved to them from our balcony as we sailed away - they flew to the next port on the next day. We sailed Princess the 1st time and the captain pulled back in twice for other groups that were late, I guess he figured he was not going back a 3rd time.:eek:

It was a Panasonic lumix digital camera w/10x optical zoom.Dh bought it for this trip after much research.

Budget Queen-how much is CC?

Do they have different prices for each area? or is it pay one price - do everything?

There was an admission of less than $10ca which gets you into the museum then a look at the dogs. The cart rides were in the $50ca range?? Contact them direct for current information. It certainly can change.

We did heli to glacier in Skagway this last May and loved it. Well worth the $$$! You will not be disappointed..... see pics in my signature below.

Have a great time in AK!:)

Hi, did you go independetly or the the cruiseline? If through the cruise line, do you know what hilicopter co. was used?

Thanks....and loved your pics:)

Hi, did you go independetly or the the cruiseline? If through the cruise line, do you know what hilicopter co. was used?

It would have been TEMSCO, no matter how they booked.

It was through the cruiseline (RCI) and it was Temsco.

Dh gets all the credit for the pics. Glad you enjoyed them!:D

It was through the cruiseline (RCI) and it was Temsco.

Dh gets all the credit for the pics. Glad you enjoyed them!:D

Thank-you....Can you tell me your experience with the dog sleding...How much time actually are you being pulled by the huskies? What did you were on the dogsledding? Thanks again

Thank-you....Can you tell me your experience with the dog sleding...How much time actually are you being pulled by the huskies? What did you were on the dogsledding? Thanks again

We got on the helicopter and flew around about 30 minutes. We landed on the glacier and were introduced to our musher. He took us over to where his dogs were and as we sat on the sled, he got them ready to go and hooked them to the sled. He talked about the dogs and let us pet them and then we were off. Those dogs were having the best time. He did have them stop a couple of times to rest because he said it was quite hot for them (in the 50's?) They would lie in the snow and eat some of it. The whole trip was 45 minutes and then we got to go to the area that had the puppies and hold a couple of them. They did have a photographer that took a pic of us while we were being pulled by the dogs and the cost for the photo was $20. We then got back on the helicopter where we were taken straight back to the heliport (10 minutes at the most). It was a fun trip!

We got on the helicopter and flew around about 30 minutes. We landed on the glacier and were introduced to our musher. He took us over to where his dogs were and as we sat on the sled, he got them ready to go and hooked them to the sled. He talked about the dogs and let us pet them and then we were off. Those dogs were having the best time. He did have them stop a couple of times to rest because he said it was quite hot for them (in the 50's?) They would lie in the snow and eat some of it. The whole trip was 45 minutes and then we got to go to the area that had the puppies and hold a couple of them. They did have a photographer that took a pic of us while we were being pulled by the dogs and the cost for the photo was $20. We then got back on the helicopter where we were taken straight back to the heliport (10 minutes at the most). It was a fun trip!

Again, Thank-you so much. Sound like a great time! Can't wait for my turn:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Buccaneergirl,

Loved your photos!!!!! We are on the July 12th Serenade of the Seas cruise and were looking into doing the dog sled excursion and appreciate your posting.

Sheila

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed our pics.

You are going to have a wonderful time in Alaska - I am sure of it! :)

Hi again,

I checked out the excursion on RCCL's website and it is a two hour tour. How long a ride on the dog sled was it? We are taking our 16 year old granddaughter and I wanted to give her ALL the info up front.

Sheila

Hi again,

I checked out the excursion on RCCL's website and it is a two hour tour. How long a ride on the dog sled was it? We are taking our 16 year old granddaughter and I wanted to give her ALL the info up front.

Sheila

I think the actual dog sledding is 30 minutes, but you are up on the glacier for more than an hour. Remember to wear sunscreen (dh got a sunburn) and take your sun glasses.

Hi Buccaneergirl,

Thanks so much for the info. By the way, our friends are moving to a retirement community on a golf course in Melbourne, Florida next month. How big is Melbourne?

Sheila

Melbourne has around 100,000 people and the city just South, Palm Bay, has another 100,00. It is a pretty quiet place to live, but has gown so much since we moved here in 1987 from Tampa. I really love the casual beach atmosphere.

You will have to come visit your friends once they move here. It is a perfect stopping point on your way to a cruise. :D Port Canaveral is only 45 minutes north and Port Everglades is 2 1/2 hours south and Miami another 1/2 an hour.

Hi Buccaneergirl, BOY as they say - Thanks for the memories.... I could have swore that I was the one taking those pictures of Alaska - including the cruise tour pictures. Actually right down to the picture you took from the plane going home. Because those were my last pictures of the great trip as well - it was just too funny. Your pictures are really super.

We were on The Radiance of the Seas June 1, 2007 for 7 day cruise then the tour for 4 days. Though we may have done different dog sledding excursion, (we did ours in Juneau), I know we both has the same fantastic time. (See our picture above). That was the best excursion to date for us, and so worth the cost for a once in a lifetime experience.

We also did the cruisetour package and stayed at the same hotels you did.

Just wanted to say I absolutely loved our pictures and thank you so much for sharing them with all of us.

Happy cruising to all and make sure you "Get out there".

• 1 month later...
The least canceled option for a glaicer dog sledding will be out of Seward with Godwin's. Otherwise it is also available in Juneau and Skagway.

Independent with TEMSCO and Coastal.

I do suggest you plan at least 2 days in Seward, if independent touring Interior Alaska. It's very rare that cruisetours allow any time in Seward. It's a gem of opportunity for fantastic touring, not to miss- really. :)

BQ,

Is this the company you are talking about? - http://www.alaskadogsled.com/availabletours/dogsledtours/

Just want to be sure before booking. We were going to do Juneau, but I heard that is the best place to do whale watching, I would like to spread everything out, instead of cramming it all in one day! :)

Thanks for your help.

My husband went halibut fishing last year with Ketchikan Charter boats.... this was a surprise for my husbands 50th birthday and they all knew it... when we got off the ship, they were standing there with a sign that said " Happy 50th birthday Jim !!" And away they went....they were reccommended to me by the good folks at Orca Enterprises and it was wonderful... they caught alot of fish and we did have it sent home. It was a real highlight for him. They do halibut, salmon, whatever is in season. Ask for Carla.. she took really good care to keep the surprise and really went out of her way. Have fun !!!

• 2 months later...

Archived