Dining time requests....do you get them?

KYWEST1

On our past three cruises, we have never received the dining time we requested. Once, we were able to change it from 5:45 to 8pm. My question is: I have looked on my edocs & the dining time is 6:15 - does this mean this is still our "requested" dining time or have we been assigned this time?:confused:

Your edocs will have your requested time. Your assigned time and table will be on your sign and sail card you get at embarkation.

On our past three cruises, we have never received the dining time we requested. Once, we were able to change it from 5:45 to 8pm. My question is: I have looked on my edocs & the dining time is 6:15 - does this mean this is still our "requested" dining time or have we been assigned this time?:confused:

Our e-docs also said our dining time was 6:15...as we requested. Once we got our sail & sign cards we found we were assigned to 8:00. It was late when we finally realized this, but we all decided to keep the late seating. We also (there were four of us) were seated at different tables. The Maitre'D was able to put us at the same table.

We requested 6:15 last time and got 5:45. Maitre D told us that we could come in for 5:45 at 6 pm and not worry about. I still think it's a big half hour difference and hope I get my 6:15 this time around. I'm not counting on it.

We've always request late seating at a large table and got our wish.

This next time we've requested late seating at a table for 2. Keeping our fingers crossed.

First cruise I asked for 8 PM and got 8:30. Way to late for me. This past cruise on DCL, I asked for early and once again got late, 8:30. Which is just wayyy to late for me. But first seating on DCL fills up within seconds of being released it seems.

This next cruise, I asked for 5:45, and if I don't get it, I will be going to the Maitre D' to complain. I booked this one 6 months out, and there are only 2 times, 5:45 and 8:30. I cannot deal with 8:30 again. I fall asleep in my food. And forget about going to shows!

We've gotten our requested late seating dining time on each of our previous 2 cruises. They were Spirit class, so only 2 dining times ~ early and late. I'll find out in 3 weeks whether I get my requested 8 pm time on Valor. :D

Out of 9 cruises we have received our requested time 7 times. Both of the times we didn't receive the requested times we had requested late seating but they gave us early seating. Once on Carnival and once on Disney. Both times we were able to have our seating changed to late, but it wasn't easy either time. You pretty much have to be a pain in the butt, but always be pleasant, but persistent. On Carnival we actually had to skip dinner the first night tell them we were removing the tips and getting of the ship at the next port. They moved us. We were traveling with friends who really wanted the late seating. I wasn't the one threatening to get off the ship, so please don't give me too bad of a time. Just wanted to let everyone know that it can be done, it's just not easy.

I posted this earlier on another thread. A Maitre d' on the Valor gave us a "tour" of the seating process.

The Carnival Maitre d' does the assignments a week or two prior to your cruise. Carnival uses a program called "Table Where".

It allows the Maitre d' to see your age in 10 year increments (25-35, 35-45, etc.), your nationality (for language purposes), your requested dining time, linked reservations, cabin number and date of booking.

All of the information is used to seat you at the requested time when possible and with compatible table mates. (So a couple in their 70's will not be seated with a family with small children that speak a different native language.) The date of booking is the coin toss at the end of the seating process. Those that book earlier are supposed to get their preferences before the last minute passengers.

I don't recall if the program showed the number of cruises or "status" (like platinum) of the guests.

Charlie

Of all our cruises, the only one we haven't received our requested time was on the Spirit this January. There seemed to be massive chaos in the seating times--like it was done at random.

We managed to get changed to our preferred time easily; others had to wait a day or two. Two large groups who were in the same line to change times as we were had their people scattered all over; like, in a party of 12, 4 early, downstairs, two early, upstairs, 6 late, in three different tables, etc.

I hope this isn't a trend!

Of all our cruises, the only one we haven't received our requested time was on the Spirit this January. There seemed to be massive chaos in the seating times--like it was done at random.

We managed to get changed to our preferred time easily; others had to wait a day or two. Two large groups who were in the same line to change times as we were had their people scattered all over; like, in a party of 12, 4 early, downstairs, two early, upstairs, 6 late, in three different tables, etc.

I hope this isn't a trend!

Unfortunately the one big variable that can cause the chaos is the human factor. Hopefully it was the Maitre d's first time going solo on the system. If it's the same Maitre d' that had to make all of the corrections he probably learned a hard lesson.

Charlie

Archived