Has anyone bumped up their child in a kids club group?

Asil65

We will be celebrating my inlaws 50th wedding anniversary on RCI Grandeur this summer. Most of my neices and nephews are older than my two kids who are 8 and 10. I noticed on RCI they seperate kids club at age 9 so my youngest would be all by herself and my 10 yr old and neice who is 9 would be together. My daughter will not be happy about this. Has anyone used the kids club on RCI and had any luck bumping up their child? Thanks, Lisa

I've had luck on other cruiselines bumping up kids (Carnival & Disney) for my friends kids. But I haven't needed to personally try it on RCCL.

Some have tried and come back to say "No way"

Other said they tried and yes, they were allowed.

My kids are never in the same club. And they like having their own friends. But my kids aren't as close in age. All you can do is ask. And prepare them that they may be separated.

Hi! My experience has been that it depends on the number of kids sailing. If there are a lot of kids on the ship (as I would expect during summer), they may not allow it. If you were sailing during an off-peak time, you might have better luck. Sorry to sound negative...just want you to be prepared.

Soccer Mom

On off-peak times, they may end up combining several groups. They did this on our New England/Canada cruise, but there were only 30 kids total onboard the Explorer! (You did read that correctly, 30 total 17 & under). Our son loved that! He's only 3 but he thinks he's like 12 or something.

Hi... I had experience with this on Explorer in 6/06. At that time, my daughters were 8 & 7 and my niece was also 8 but my nephew was only 4. The 3 girls were together but my nephew was separated into a younger group. Unfortunately, we asked 100x but the AO staff would not move him up. They were nice to him and tried to make him comfortable in his age group with his peers but he wanted to be with his sister and cousins. (In AO's defense, he is also shy and very attached to his mother.) It ended up that the girls enjoyed AO but we 4 adults spent much of our time together with my nephew along.

We are cruising again in 3 weeks (woo hoo!!!) so I have been reading other posts about this. We are traveling all together again and even though the kids are all 2 years older, my nephew is still separated. One great suggestion I read is to see if any of the other kids would move down a level or two - the AO staff seemed to be more willing to make that move. Others said that when they asked to have a child moved up, he/she was given a trial time in that other group and if/she did well, the staff let him/her stay. Generally, though, this was for kids who were close in age to the next group age level. I also read to discuss this with the AO staff as soon as you board (when the kids are getting their wrist bands).

By the way, after 10pm, the AO changes into an after hours mode (there is a fee) which goes until 1am (I think). At this time, all of the kids are grouped together.

We still had a great, great cruise (so much fun!!) but we didn't quite get the "adult" time we would have liked. I hope this works out for you! I'll let you know how it turns out this time on Liberty for us.

Thanks everyone. I also posted the same question on the RCI site and most of the people seem to think I should not have a problem bumpong up my daughter. Our cruise is in July and she will be 9 in October. All I can do is give it a try. It is funny how all the ships seem to seperate the kids groups at different ages. I think on Princess the kids would all have been together. Don't quote me on that!

Thank for the info. Have a great time on your cruise and let me know how things go with moving the kiddoes around.:)

Hi... I had experience with this on Explorer in 6/06. At that time, my daughters were 8 & 7 and my niece was also 8 but my nephew was only 4. The 3 girls were together but my nephew was separated into a younger group. Unfortunately, we asked 100x but the AO staff would not move him up. They were nice to him and tried to make him comfortable in his age group with his peers but he wanted to be with his sister and cousins. (In AO's defense, he is also shy and very attached to his mother.) It ended up that the girls enjoyed AO but we 4 adults spent much of our time together with my nephew along.

We are cruising again in 3 weeks (woo hoo!!!) so I have been reading other posts about this. We are traveling all together again and even though the kids are all 2 years older, my nephew is still separated. One great suggestion I read is to see if any of the other kids would move down a level or two - the AO staff seemed to be more willing to make that move. Others said that when they asked to have a child moved up, he/she was given a trial time in that other group and if/she did well, the staff let him/her stay. Generally, though, this was for kids who were close in age to the next group age level. I also read to discuss this with the AO staff as soon as you board (when the kids are getting their wrist bands).

By the way, after 10pm, the AO changes into an after hours mode (there is a fee) which goes until 1am (I think). At this time, all of the kids are grouped together.

We still had a great, great cruise (so much fun!!) but we didn't quite get the "adult" time we would have liked. I hope this works out for you! I'll let you know how it turns out this time on Liberty for us.

I sail RCL with my kids and there are times when they have said absoulutely no way, but my daughter who is tall for her age, at 11 removed her muster bracelet (I would not reccommend that) and joined her 13 year old sister in the teen club. When the ship is not crowded, they have never had a problem bumping my daughter up to be with her sister.

Archived