Bringing a Bike Onboard

Dr_DNA

Dr. DNA - I see you did the Explorer of the Seas Canada/New England cruise last september. Now, THAT would be the perfect cruise to have a bike on, I've often thought of that myself. What a wonderful vacation that would make.

Myself, I would be a little skeptical riding on some of the Caribbean islands, but often I've thought, if I only had my bike!!

Please let us know if it works out for you.

Last year we flew from Toronto to an island n the Caribbean - several bikes were broken down and wrapped in bubble wrap and plastic. No reason why they couldn't come aboard ship in a box as luggage. Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission for this type of thing.

Believe me, it is a major pain (or should I say expense) to break your bike down, box it and then have it put back together. We did that several years ago on a mountain bike trip out west. Not sure that I'd do that again. If I was going to bring my bike aboard, it would be in one piece.

Dr. DNA - I see you did the Explorer of the Seas Canada/New England cruise last september. Now, THAT would be the perfect cruise to have a bike on, I've often thought of that myself. What a wonderful vacation that would make.

Myself, I would be a little skeptical riding on some of the Caribbean islands, but often I've thought, if I only had my bike!!

Please let us know if it works out for you.

Agreed. It was a very nice vacation, even without the bikes. We fell in love with Bar Harbor and that is where we're going for our family vacation next fall. And you can bet that the mountain bikes are coming along! After a summer of riding, we should be in shape for the hills of Maine and Acadia.

As far as the Caribbean, I have a beater bike that would be perfect. It actually looks horriable but is really a nice bike. The frame has an awful paint job, and most people don't see past that to the great components on it. It was great to have in college because I never had to worry about anyone stealing it even though if they knew bikes, it was certainly worth stealing. My mountain bike on the other hand, is nice and looks it! It gets multiple kryptonite locks even if it is still in my sight.

So what is the official answer??????

Well, the oficial answer is "I don't think so." I called RC and the rep. read me a statement to the effect "bicycles are not allowed onboard nor are they rented onboard. Most ports offer bicycle rentals." I asked her where that information came from and she couldn't say. I asked if I could find that information on the web, she said she didn't know. In searching on RC's website, the only real mention that I find about this is that bicycles are to not be used onboard, but not that they can't be brought onboard. So, I guess that I have to go with the rep and say no, even though it isn't exactly clear cut. I think that the suggestion of renting may be a good one. The worst thing that could happen is that you show up in port and they don't let you on with your bike. What would one do then?

Well, the oficial answer is "I don't think so." I called RC and the rep. read me a statement to the effect "bicycles are not allowed onboard nor are they rented onboard. Most ports offer bicycle rentals." I asked her where that information came from and she couldn't say. I asked if I could find that information on the web, she said she didn't know.

I'll bet if you called again and talked to a different rep you would probably get a different answer.

Archived