RSVP Eurodam 2/21/2009

MattInFLL

Did they sell out this year's big ship cruise? I am surprised that they are planning big ship cruises for 2009 (someone said they are also planning a Mexican Riveria cruise). I thought Atlantis might reposition RSVP as a small ship alternative to distinsigh RSVP from Atlantis. It seems that they really got in trouble competing with Atlantis in 2007 with big ship cruises that were too similar to Atlantis.

I heard that the Zuiderdam was 97% full. And when we booked for 2009 on Friday afternoon Charlie said that the Eurodam was already 25% booked, and later I heard it was 30%.

Maybe the 1,200-2,000 ships will work for RSVP and Atlantis can have the mega ships. (I still prefer the Caribbean Princess' pools and upper decks - just too many people on board)

Hello there,

Bill and Frank from Connecticut here. We had a fabulous time on the cruise, and although we've done the RSVP / Royal Clipper a couple of times, this was our first big ship gay cruise. We loved it so much we booked the Eurodam.

Hi Matt:

Thank Ralph for sending us to the Galleria on Saturday. Dillard's had a fabulous clearance sale - yes clearance you queens!!! 'Imelda' bought two pairs of shoes - 50% off retail and 40% percent off that.

Last years fashions - BUT GET OVER IT!!!

Kip

Mike - the Eurodam's usual itinerary that week would be Grand Turk, San Juan, St Thomas, HMC - so I am thinking it will be St John, USVI - although I do not understand why they just don't say St. Thomas, since I bet most people will catch the ferry over to St Thomas. But it would be fabulous if it were Antigua.

By the way - did any of us repeat cruisers enquire if we had RSViP points or anything to use to upgrade categories? I forgot to ask...

Kip - will pass the message along!

We were told by our TA that all RSViP points would need to be used within 1 year, as the points would no longer have value. I would check with your TA to verify.

Dan Howell wouldn't lie would he?

Kip

Charlie told me that the RSViP program will continue.

Well it looks like we all just packed our bags from the Zuiderdam thread and moved to the Eurodam thread!

And a special thank and congrats to Jim and Terry--can't wait to see what you guys do for your 50th! :)

And another thanks to Peter and Richard for organizing the CC's meeting...and another thanks to HAL for the open bar!

And another thanks to everyone else--it's great seeing so many familiar and friendly faces throughout the week. It truly makes RSVP cruising something special.

Mark of M&D

Although nothing formal has been said about the points system, it has been rumored that this past cruise was the last cruise for which you will be rewarded points and that all points must be redeemed in 2009. Again, just a rumor, but sounds very plausible......planning on using what points I have left next year anyway....

Greg

Hi everyone!,

Not back in Ottawa yet, still in Ft. lauderdale. Head back tomorrow moring. Just want to thank everyone for the great times on the cruise. It was our first gay cruise and we could not be happier.

The one think that did bother me was the ships instability and rolling almost all week long. I was never sick, but I did feel wobbly (sp?) most of the time, and now that I am back, I still seem to be swaying.

I was on a Royal Carribean cruise (not gay) about 1 year ago, and NEVER felt the ship sway. So much so that for the past year I have tried to get anyone I know to cruise as I said that you will never feel a thing.

Based on this we have decided to do the Mexican Riveria cruise on NCL, as I am hoping that they use the same kind of stabilizers that Royal Carribean uses (will do some research now that I am back).

I know that the new Holland America ship will be the newest largest ship, but after looking at the layout of the ship, it looks almost identical to the Zuiderdam which makes me nervous.

Anyway, will keep up to date about what you guys think, and will keep on reading. I did make sure that I could keep my credit and switch to the Eurodam if you guys talk me into it. But as of now we are registered on the RSVP RCL.

Allan

Hey Allan - well I'm not sure this is a helpful answer, but it may just be that you had calm seas when you were on the Enchantment. Most ships use the same types of stabilizer systems (which are basically wings that fold out near the front), and there are not huge differences these days in hull designs because designers know that for a passenger ship, stability is key... so even on the truly megaships, like Queen Mary 2 or Liberty of the Seas, when the seas get to 17-20 feet (as we experienced) you are going to feel it on any ship. Even the most experienced sea people were feeling it that night we had all the movement.

As for Norwegian Star, I have sailed on her in Hawaii during the winter when sea swells were heavy, and she too, rolled with the ocean. I just really think it comes down to Mother Nature's whims.

So I hope you will reconsider joining us after you do your research!

Wow, 2008 cruise was absolutely amazing and we booked on board for next year; THANK YOU ALL for such a wonderful time, Dave and I really enjoyed it and we're HOOKED! We're going to try and get two other couples to come next year too, so it'll be a bigger and better party! 2009 is sooooooo far away!!!

Just wanted to say thanks so much to Matt and Ralph for showing us the ways of the high seas, Mike and Gary for talking us into this trip, Jim and Terry for the fab cocktail party, Reint for being a good neighbor, and all the other boys and girls for showing us such a great time. We can't wait to do it all over again!!!

Now back to straight land... :confused:

Hey Guys!

Made it back to PA last night. Not nearly as eventful as the trip south. Returned home to a 60 degree day. That'll make it a little easier to slide into cooler temps later in the week.

First- MAJOR thank yous to Jim and Terry. It was a pleasure meeting you. Your hospitality knows no bounds.

Reint!!!!-Need your e-mail!!!-reach me at bchdrvr@hotmail.com

Mike and Gary-ditto! Want you to stop by the gallery when you come through Harrisburg-e-mail me and I'll send you the store link.

Tom-aka Bertha-I LOVE Mark Silver. Ask him about the trees on the cave tubing hike. He's a really funny guy. We were able to share several meals together.

Donny-missed dinner with you and Michael-will he be coming along with you and Mark next year? He's a great guy.

Has Max checked in yet?

Peter-maybe you can talk me into diving next year in Turks?

We are BOOKED for Eurodam! We have 5 cabins lined up with the group we are traveling with. And the observation deck has been raised one level.

Just spoke with Jeff Gunvaldson-no definitive answer on the points. I cashed ours in for Eurodam. He said they will continue to award points for the rest of this year's planned vacations. But since Atlantis does not have any type of award program, it's difficult to say what will happen.

We are BOOKED for Eurodam! We have 5 cabins lined up with the group we are traveling with.

Carlos and us booked the same adjoining cabins we had on the Zuiderdam. VD's with bigger balconies :)

And the observation deck has been raised one level.

Closer to the sun. :D

Peter-maybe you can talk me into diving next year in Turks?

Are you a certified diver? They often want you to have done a dive within the last 2 years.

scuba-1.jpg.533ccad7319e14fd8235e1e0285289af.jpg

Hey Guys!

Has Max checked in yet?

Checked in where? Rehab? The Betty Ford Clinic? Oh! You mean this message board! Well, if I haven't yet, I am officially doing so now. I've been busy getting caught up at work and uploading my photos.

Love to all,

Max

I checked the HAL website for the Eurodam's itineraries around the time of the RSVP cruise and it shows:

1 Depart Ft. Lauderdale 05:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos 07:00 AM - 03:00 PM

4 San Juan, PR 10:00 AM - 11:00 PM

5 St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

5 At Sea

6 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 AM - 04:00 PM

7 Arrive Ft. Lauderdale 07:00 AM

HAL does not list St. John USVI as a port, only St. Thomas. I have not seen many ships calling at St. John - Azamara Quest apparently does.

At the "Ask Charlie" Question and Answer session held on board, he indicated we would be sailing the same itinerary the Eurodam normally uses. Thus, he was able to negotiate such a good price.

Since, this year, there was a deviation from the normal itinerary, prices were slightly higher. Of course, PlanetOut got the blame for that.

I think then that we are headed for St John USVI - and they are trying to make it sound more exotic than St Thomas... Antigua would have been nice, but I am happy to get to go to Grand Turk, and maybe that gay hotel on the beach in San Juan will throw a special tea dance just for us.

I did not think to use my RSviP points - calling my TA tomorrow....

I think then that we are headed for St John USVI - and they are trying to make it sound more exotic than St Thomas... Antigua would have been nice, but I am happy to get to go to Grand Turk, and maybe that gay hotel on the beach in San Juan will throw a special tea dance just for us.

I did not think to use my RSviP points - calling my TA tomorrow....

So what sort of discount or upgrades can you get for one week's cruise?

Currently I am trying get some friends along, however unfortunately nobody seems to be terribly eager to do so.:( So I keep on trying.

Still haven't landed yet and thinking a lot about last week...

Reint

Soooooo sorry I didn't get to make it to Jim and Terry's cocktail bash, it sounds like it was a great time but conflicted with out dinner at Pinnacle Grill :( Same thing with Cruise Critic meet, was same time as the Lazy Bear meet and greet I had to be at. Ah well, was wonderful to see so many of you out and about on the ship, I must be pretty recognizable cause I got "hey are you Phil" an awful lot from you guys, yay for that :) :) :)

Booked and RSViP pointed for next year on the Eurodam, hopefully will see you all there once again. It was a GREAT cruise :)

Soooooo sorry I didn't get to make it to Jim and Terry's cocktail bash, it sounds like it was a great time but conflicted with out dinner at Pinnacle Grill :( Same thing with Cruise Critic meet, was same time as the Lazy Bear meet and greet I had to be at. Ah well, was wonderful to see so many of you out and about on the ship, I must be pretty recognizable cause I got "hey are you Phil" an awful lot from you guys, yay for that :) :) :)

Booked and RSViP pointed for next year on the Eurodam, hopefully will see you all there once again. It was a GREAT cruise :)

Sorry I didn't meet you Phil, I have been thinking of you. Was even wearing my leather jockstraps at the bad boys boots party for you :D

Hope you had the same fantastic trip as I had!

Reint

Sorry I didn't meet you Phil, I have been thinking of you. Was even wearing my leather jockstraps at the bad boys boots party for you :D

Hope you had the same fantastic trip as I had!

Reint

Wait, I missed you in your leather jockstrap???? CRAP!!!

;)

Archived