Don't bother with the "town"

ariellejesse

We (the Regatta) were docked as the only ship at the Cruise Center on Feb. 23. With a small ship and such clientele, the beach chairs and pool were easily accessed. Go early for shade from the existing trees. No umbrellas were on the beach, and canvas clam shells were renting for $20!! The cruise center shops were doing a booming business and the items for sale were good quality, with prices as expected.

Based on the port information given by the ship (a gross misrepresentation), we wished to tour the "town" and possibly do some local shopping. The taxi rates were posted in zones with Govenor's Beach at $3pp/one way and town at $5pp/one way. The so-called quaint town consisted of a few boarded up buildings and no shopping what so ever. One grocery store served the locals. This was a waste of time and money, and the Grand Turk Tourist Board should be ashamed of themselves.

Governor's Beach is a continuation of the beach at the Cruise Center, but there is a barrier on the beach that prohibits walking there. On days when the Cruise Center is crowded, one may be able to spread out more here; otherwise, it is not necessary to arrange transport there.

It appears that this port is used as a "private island" by the cruise lines who don't have a dedicated one. The excursions should be thoroughly researched before big bucks are wasted. I hope visitors will be candid with their experiences here.

If you don't like a beach day then Grand Turk may not be your favorite port. But....my son went scuba diving with Blue Water Divers and had a great day, the girls and I went on the power snorkel and then to Jacks and had a great day. And....if you would like to contribute something to the ports that you visit you can donate clothing to the Red Cross in Grand Turk, for their thrift store, and the profits go to disaster relief. So.....you can have a great beach day and do something for someone else on Grand Turk. I agree that it's not a shopping port, but we didn't shop in any of the ports on our recent cruise.

Cherie

• 3 weeks later...

We were also on Regatta on Feb. 23rd. I agree with Cherie's comments that the best way to think of Grand Turk is as a beach day - to a first approximation the island is an overgrown sandbar (at least the above water portion). We went to the museum in town and rather liked it, particularly the information on artifacts recovered from wrecks, and then spend some of the afternoon on the beach at the cruise center.

There are interesting buildings to see in town, including a strip of older houses on Front Street south of the center of town.

--David

Perhaps reading these board prior to sailing would've provided you with information that, no, there isn't a lot to do in town, if shopping is what you're looking for.

I must be the only female on the planet who doesn't want to spend every waking moment shopping! :p

And I sure as heck don't want to shop while I'm on vacation, trying to relax!

We went to the museum in town and rather liked it, particularly the information on artifacts recovered from wrecks, and then spend some of the afternoon on the beach at the cruise center...

I went there too and found it really interesting! There's a thread about it on the Grand Turk page. I have some photos in my gallery (see below). We spend a few hours at Bohio Resort, too. Grand Turk may have been my favorite stop; love the "unspoiled by cruise ships" feel. Think we got ripped off by the taxis, though.

Geez...$5 each person each way to go into town by taxi!:eek: There are 4 of us so it will cost $40 just for a taxi ride to and from the museum. I think that's a bit much. We may just rent a golf cart. Is it safe to leave them unattended while touring the museum?

Take the key out of the cart and the carts are safe unattended. Very safe island.

I don't think anything you see is a waste of time, even the town with nothing in it. You should explore everything once on your own, then develop your own opinions, not just relying on someone elses, since we all like different things. We should feel lucky to see Grand Turk in its natural way now, before it becomes overrun with tourist things. I'm sure glad I did last week.

I went to Grand Turk in Dec 07, and I have to agree that it was not much. I did use it as a "beach day", to just sit out and relax, but the music and noise coming from nearby Margaritaville made it very difficult to relax. I wish there had been more to GT, but I guess I should enjoy the "unspoiled" aspect of it while I can :)

Take the key out of the cart and the carts are safe unattended. Very safe island.

I don't think anything you see is a waste of time, even the town with nothing in it. You should explore everything once on your own, then develop your own opinions, not just relying on someone elses, since we all like different things. We should feel lucky to see Grand Turk in its natural way now, before it becomes overrun with tourist things. I'm sure glad I did last week.

Do you know how much $$ to rent a golf cart...how many people does it hold and where do we go to rent them? Thanks

Archived