Perry Grant

Freeascanbe

We were on the Connie in May/June and Perry was there but he said he had been on for 9 months and they kept extending his contract. But he expected to leave within a month. I did read in one of the threads that he was off the Connie effective June 28(I think). I'm not sure for how long but there is a report that he is off at least temporarily. I love the pictures and I am especialy glad to see the marvelous waiter in the pictures. He is a part of the show too and boy is he competent. Good times.

Here is the link to the other thread reporting that he was off the ship: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808755 You'll find the info in post #7.

We have not been able to cruise with Perry as many times as a lot of other people, but we were fans back when he was performing on HA, and have greatly enjoyed Perry's performances on several cruises on Connie, the last few years.

Arno, glad to see that you and Joann will be cruising repeatedly on Connie and with Perry.

Kent

Pres., FOPS

We never saw him without it being standing room only. As I told you on another board, there is plenty of entertainment on the ship to satisfy all tastes. No one forces you to see or hear anyone you don't want to see & hear. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know which of the smaller lounges will be 100% smoke-free as of October 1st?

Don't bother, hcat - just go to the Cova or find your guitar player. There are plenty of people onboard who would like your seat to watch Perry Grant. We never saw him without it being standing room only. As I told you on another board, there is plenty of entertainment on the ship to satisfy all tastes. No one forces you to see or hear anyone you don't want to see & hear. :rolleyes:

I understand your point, but mine is that it eliminates a venue for a whole cruise on a ship that does not have that many places to visit in the evening --for us that will be 14 days.. Perry Grant is nice once or twice but it is also nice to see the entertainers rotate venues as is done on some other ships a bit more frequently --maybe on an off night some of the others will be in Michaels which is a great room when not crowded...Same point applies to other venues--14 nights of the same thing--gets old...but I am sure there will be lots to do! And with so many crowding into Michaels--other spots will be less congested

I understand your point, but mine is that it eliminates a venue for a whole cruise on a ship that does not have that many places to visit in the evening --for us that will be 14 days.. Perry Grant is nice once or twice but it is also nice to see the entertainers rotate venues as is done on some other ships a bit more frequently --maybe on an off night some of the others will be in Michaels which is a great room when not crowded...Same point applies to other venues--14 nights of the same thing--gets old...but I am sure there will be lots to do! And with so many crowding into Michaels--other spots will be less congested

Hcat - EVERY evening there is some kind of show in the theatre on Celebrity, and also at Cova Cafe. I remember when Michael's Club was only a cigar & smoking room with opera playing over the speakers - it was NEVER crowded. Celebrity is making much better use of the space by having someone in there who packs the room every evening......why should they cut out some of his shows to let someone else in there who will not even come close to filling it. No one has to go to Michael's for 14 days, but if you want to go and not stand, you should come early! The people that are there WANT to be there.

LOL ;)

seriously, I just meant I don't understand the draw to him. Thats OK, to each, his own. In my opinion, there was something kinda creepy about this guy...

LOL!!!:D Yeah, I felt a little creeped-out by that guy, too.:eek:

I don't get what makes him so popular, but hey, makes for more seats available in the other lounges on the ship!:)

• 3 months later...

Just returned from the Oct 30th Constellation a wonderful 11 day cruise. We saw Perry Grant a number of times and thoroughly enjoyed his show. We were on the cruise with 12 people and on formal night we took a photo doing positions. I gave this to Perry on the last night of our cruise. Our entire party attended the Rendezvous Lounge the night Perry performed and what a night it was, we all had so much fun.

My husband Larry who is also a musician absolutely loved him. Perry is so gifted on the piano he makes it look so effortless. He’s wonderful voice and selection of songs and light hearted comedy made him thoroughly enjoyable. He’s an entertainer with a capital E. There was a real genuiness about him. He added immensely to our enjoyment of the cruise.

My next cruise I take I will make sure he is on it.

I spoke to Joyce and she said Perry is on this cruise until March 2009. She believes he is taking some time off in March.

Perry did have the DVD available on this cruise which I purchased and it's GREAT!

Perry if you read this THANKS for the memories!

Jackie from Boston!

We too were on the 10/30 cruise.

We have seen Perry on two other cruises. The first was in 2003 on the Rotterdam and he was much less outrageous.

On the first night of this cruise, we told our British tablemates about him and they scurried off to see his show. They immediately took to him and became "The Enfields" who Perry would speak to in East London dialect.

He is a gifted musician and an even better showman. We look forward to seeing him in the future.

Just back from the Connie Repo also and saw a few Perry shows. Saw Joyce once during the day and asked her how she knew Perry. She said she met Perry about 15 yrs ago on a cruise. Also asked couple 69 how they got that title and she said it went back to the days when couples danced with #s on their backs. Never ran into Carol with the 16" waist tho.

We Just stepped off the Constellation and are extremely happy to report back to all you Perry Grant Fans that on the Last night of the cruise we asked him what his plans are for the next few months.

He said he will be on the Constellation till March 2009. He will not be transferring to the Solstice.

He is an amazingly gifted performer that knows how to make you smile, and forget about all the trouble and jobs back home. We enjoyed him every night of the cruise and would sail any ship he is on in a heart beat.

If you see him on your cruise Please tell him that "The Boys" say hello.

By the way he does read Cruise critic and sends his best to all his fans and thanks them for the kind words you have been saying about him. It means a lot to him.

Trey

We sailed on a T/A on the Connie a couple of years ago and were totally fascinated by him and his show. We would go to see him every night and if we didn't get there early it was SRO. He kind of took a liking to my DH, though, which made my DH feel both uncomfortable and flattered, I guess. But most of all he's so funny and his act never seemed to get old.

He really does know how to entertain and I just hope we get to see him again on another cruise.:)

We were on the 10/17 back to back with the 10/30 and consequently got to see lots of Perry. It is amazing how his patter (although repeated each time we saw him) still made us laugh a lot...a whole lot.

By the way, the "Enfields" were called that by Perry because that is where they are from...it is not their name. They were by the way, a very fun couple.

One of the most admirable things about Perry, IMHO, is the great arrangements of the piano music and his vast memory of lyrics.

For those who don't "get" him, I would suggest that his appeal is greatest for those over 40. Many of the audience don't even remember "Judy."

We Loved Him even though he lost interest when I told him we no longer live in a "gated community" because we moved.

Happy sailing all....

Marilyn

For those who don't "get" him, I would suggest that his appeal is greatest for those over 40. Many of the audience don't even remember "Judy."

Marilyn

We are sailing on the Connie in February and may take in his show.

I saw a video clip and he reminds me of the old British Vaudeville show type of entertainer...I have to admit it I don't get him either and I am 67 years old.

By the way...who is "Judy"?

We are sailing on the Connie in February and may take in his show.

I saw a video clip and he reminds me of the old British Vaudeville show type of entertainer...I have to admit it I don't get him either and I am 67 years old.

By the way...who is "Judy"?

Hi Diboja !

Perry's comments about "Judy" refers to Judy Garland, whom he idolizes in his performance.

Hi Everyone !

I've been trying very hard to see if Perry will be on our Constellation sailing in Late March *(3/27/09). From what I've been reading here, it sounds like he will be on vacation.

I emailed Captains Club and asked about Perry's schedule. Interestingly, they said he is leaving the ship for 2 weeks in Mid-March, and will be returning on March 27th. While that would make us very happy, I cant see how this is likely, as a 2 week vacation is very unusual.

Can anyone comment if they heard anything like this from Perry ? Thank You !

We traveled aboard the Connie in April 2006 and had the pleasure of catching Perry's show. He is an entertainers, entertainer. When the "headline" acts are not performing, they are watching Perry. My wife and I were in the music business for over twenty-five years and we totally enjoyed Perry's music and show. We will be a couple that cruises on the Connie because Perry is on board. This is a DON'T MISS, IMHO

We Just stepped off the Constellation and are extremely happy to report back to all you Perry Grant Fans that on the Last night of the cruise we asked him what his plans are for the next few months.

He said he will be on the Constellation till March 2009. He will not be transferring to the Solstice.

He is an amazingly gifted performer that knows how to make you smile, and forget about all the trouble and jobs back home. We enjoyed him every night of the cruise and would sail any ship he is on in a heart beat.

If you see him on your cruise Please tell him that "The Boys" say hello.

By the way he does read Cruise critic and sends his best to all his fans and thanks them for the kind words you have been saying about him. It means a lot to him.

Trey

If Perry reads Cruise critic I wish he would tell us his schedule. I would book a cruise next year if I knew he was entertaining on it. Please Perry once you find out your plans can you let us know? Even if you don't sign on a ship and you are performing in England let us know that. I'm sure you would find a few of your cruise fans going to see you. CHEERS!

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Connie (Dec1) and Perry packed Michaels every night. The cruise director put him in the main theatre on the 2nd last night which he also filled. It's very funny watching people seeing him for the 1st time trying to work him out.

For those who don't "get" him, I would suggest that his appeal is greatest for those over 40. Many of the audience don't even remember "Judy."Marilyn

Over 40?! I would respectively disagree with you and say over 60. I'm 50 and my husband's 55 and while I think Perry is great - and did find his show enjoyable - on the last 3 cruises I've sailed with him, I choose the martini bar over Michael's club. On the other hand our 82 year old tablemates on our 10/17 Constellation cruise really got into Perry once they had seen him and ended up going to Michael's club every night.

Over 40?! I would respectively disagree with you and say over 60. I'm 50 and my husband's 55 and while I think Perry is great - and did find his show enjoyable - on the last 3 cruises I've sailed with him, I choose the martini bar over Michael's club. On the other hand our 82 year old tablemates on our 10/17 Constellation cruise really got into Perry once they had seen him and ended up going to Michael's club every night.

Well, we are over 50 but under 80 and our impression was that the majority of Perry's audience on our back-to-back 24 days on Constellation was over 40, so I used that number.

Certainly...you will respectfullyl agree (I hope) that in order to "get" him you have to have some memory of "Judy", some familiarity with the songs he plays, the films he references , and the various names he mentions.

It isn't just the "old" folks who return night after night, IMHO.

There is also much inuendo and double entendre that escapes the younger crowd.

Anyway.....Perry is a remarkable entertainer if only for the arrangements of the music he plays.

We hope that we get a chance to enjoy him again soon.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

My only memories of Judy Garland is that she was in the Wizard of Oz and that she's Liza Minelli's mother.

But I agree Perry is a hoot and can be quite entertaining, although I didn't get all of his bits.

I probably would tend to visit Michael's club to see him if it were so damn crowded. It's not worth it to me to be crammed into Michael's Club.

Anne Maria

• 1 month later...

Archived