Cruise ship security may not have TSA keys

Bond-JaneBond

I just bought new luggage locks certified by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) because they can be opened by airport security. Just to be sure, though, I called Royal Caribbean and they told me that they do NOT have the TSA keys and that they might either cut off your TSA locks or call you to open them. I guess at the port I will switch to those plastic ties which can be cut off for boarding. If you attach an extra one to the locked one, they sometimes re-lock your luggage with the extra plastic tie so your luggage won't be unlocked when it's left in the ship's hallway while they deliver luggage. Duct tape can be used if your luggage is in danger of falling apart or broken. They will cut through it if they need to, but that's not a big deal.

Screeners at DTW *will* cut off the "approved" locks.

Not worth the time/hassle getting them replaced/reimbursed. And that is what the manufacturer is counting on, that you will not bother with it. Stick with the cable ties. The bottom line is, if a thief wants into your luggage, they *WILL* get in, regardless of what is securing the bags.

I never undestood the logic of using the cable ties. I guess if you could tell the one you put on yourself was still on, you'd know no one had been in your luggage. (Though I did once read a post that said they can be opened and reclosed somehow, so maybe even that is no guarantee)

But if TSA cuts and replaces the tie, then you have no idea how many other people along the line also cut the tie, opened your luggage, and replaced the tie. Your bag may have had 4 different ties on it by the time you get it back.

From what I've heard, the keyed luggage locks aren't really any better though. There are only a limited number of different keys and the baggage handlers supposedly have them all. I used to use the combination type locks. They wouldn't keep out a determined thief, but they might make them go for an easier bag to open instead. But you can't do that anymore post 9/11.

My advice is don't put anything too valuable in your checked luggage. The thieves aren't after your clothes and toothbrush.

I never lock my luggage, and carry anything really valuable with me. Never had anything stolen, either, except for a $7.00 US Flag luggage tag, which was taken by a port worker, and not by a cruise line employee...we "caught" him in the act, and got the luggage tag back. Still don't lock my luggage, and I have a heckuva time opening it, as the zip-pulls fell off a few years ago, and I have to ease the bags open by guiding the zipper - or what's left of it. My luggage is old and worn....like me!!

Archived