Explain River Tubing, please

Jeffski

Is it floating down a tube on a lazy river or more exciting than that? Can a 6 year old do it? Sounds like it's gotten good reviews and people like it but I was wondering if someone could explain in more detail exactly what it is. Do you need water shoes? How long does it last?

Thanks.

I am booked with Phil Lafayette tours (good reviews). We are going to Dunns River falls and then off to river tubing. If you google Phil Lafayette tours Ocho Rios you will get all kinds of info. I had picked up some cheap watershoes from Walmart $6.96 each. I would never rent them. I had been to Dunns River falls years ago. They don't recommend water sandals. The river tubing doesn't appear to be that dangerous. Read Phils review-and email him if you have any questions. Goodluck.

Is it floating down a tube on a lazy river or more exciting than that? Can a 6 year old do it? Sounds like it's gotten good reviews and people like it but I was wondering if someone could explain in more detail exactly what it is. Do you need water shoes? How long does it last?

Thanks.

Hi Jeffski - we did the tubing with Phil Lafayette. I think it would be fine for a 6 year old. The water is only waist deep and there are a couple of guides that move down the river with you and steer you back towards the middle, if you start to drift off to the bank. There are some minor rapids at the start of the run but no danger of being flipped out. After that it does become a more gentle ride but great fun. My wife wanted to go back again. I seem to remember it lasted about 30 minutes or so which included about a 10 minute stop mid-way for liquid refreshments and the option of jumping off the side of the steep bank into the river. Optional souvenir photos are available for purchase here ($5 each) I believe.

Check mine out at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2473499620011112620SYtdKQ

Water shoes are definitely recommended, especially if you jump off the bank, as the river bed is gravel.

Our ride was about 45 minutes, including a stop. The river wasn't too fast; quick in parts, lazy in others. Not too deep for much of the ride (we quickly found out why the tubes have plastic sheets covering the bottom, because otherwise we would have been scraping some rocks at times). I think a six-year-old would be fine. I have heard that they have lifejackets for kids; you may want to check with whatever guide you hire. We used Marva Shaw's company to take us to the river. Our driver dealt with the tubing folks and then was promptly waiting for us at the end.

I would second the recommendation about some sort of shoes. You have to walk into the river to get into your tube, and of course the jumping off required a short walk back to where the tubes were.

I admired the entrepreneurs who waded out into the river to take pictures. They put a nice little border around the pictures on their computers and then give them to you at the end of the ride, when you have access to your wallet again.

It was fun. We definitely would do it again.

Anyone?

Hey Jeffski, we are on the same cruise as you. We have booked Marva Shaw in Ocho Rios for Dunns River Falls and tubing. I have been tubing before and it is really fun. Like others have said it is rapid in some parts but lots of guides along the route to help. I think your 6 year will enjoy it and your 17 year old will as well. We will have two 17 years old with us and my 74 year old Mother and they can't wait for the adventure.

See you onboard. We are on the 6th floor as well.:)

We went tubing last month and had a great time. The youngest was 18 months and sat on her dads lap. The youngest alone in a tube was 4 and his mom held onto his tube, so they were connected. My daughter, 13 flipped in her tube during the 1st rapids, but the guide was quick to rescue her and get her back in the tube. (The guides are amazing and really deserve a tip at the end) She was the only one who flipped out, and I think there were 22 people in our group. When we got home from the cruise she developed an infection in her legs and the dr said it could be from her swallowing bad water, but not exactly sure how she got it. :eek: Just as an FYI......keep your mouth closed if you go under. AND watch for spiders when you go off towards the edges of the bank. It would be smart to push off with your feet, not your hands!!!! Closed water shoes are a MUST!!

We did the tubing in Feb 08 and it was great! Wear watershoes, and bring a disposable camera. The guides are great and they deserve every bit of the tip that you give them! Buy the pictures too, at 5 bucks you can't go wrong! Spiders? I never saw any! Red Stripe beer is a buck at the end of the trip. We booked through Phil Lafayette tours, which was great! When we went there was only 8 of us total.

Archived