Dry Dock Questions

OldCodger73

Post No. 5 in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=725272

got me wondering what all takes place when a ship goes into dry dock? Since the above mention post mentions the Volendam and she goes into dry dock April 30 in Vancouver after completing a Panama Canal cruise, what can one expect will have taken place by the time it does a 4-day coastal on May 14? I would imagine mechanical and environmental systems would receive a tune-up or perhaps replacement if needed. Would a ship typical receive a new paint job or just touch-ups. What about refurbishing public areas and cabins? Are crew members typical rotated at this time? How often do HAL ships go into dry dock and is a two week period considered a major or minor dry docking?

Lots of things can be done during a dry dock. It's usually things that cannot be accomplished while the ship is in service and passengers are on board. I don't know if two weeks is major or minor, but major work can be accomplished. Propulsion systems are generally refurbished/tweaked during such a period. Remodeling can be done, and new carpeting can be installed. Plumbing systems can be evacuated and repaired, and engines can be worked on. The Vista ships have undergone "aft lifts" during dry dock, adding and reconfiguring staterooms on the back of the ship. Also installing Explorations Cafes. I'd also believe this is when the bottom of the hull is cleaned and repainted.

It should happen at least every five years. Regular survey work that cannot be done while the ship is afloat: propulsion, rudder, thrusters and, according to several reviews urgently needed for Volendam: repairs/maintenance of the stabilizers (the lateral fins that take the fun out of being on the ocean). Painting and replacement of anti-fouling coatings. Repairs/maintenance to systems that require empty cabins (plumbing, airco, carpets, wiring). Probably also disinfection of kitchens, public bathrooms etc (no elderly noro virus carrying passengers for a few weeks). Only a skeleton crew stays (and works alongside yard personnel), and not sure if they would be on board. Two weeks is normal, but time flies. Statendam drydocked in december (in Brisbane, Australia of all places) and not everything had been finished, according to posts on CC: rolls of carpet in the hallways...Who knows what else did not get done. Still, it continues to amaze me how cruiselines and airlines manage to keep their fleets pretty clean with so little opportunity for thorough work.

Some of the "stuff" that goes on in drydock:

1. Clean and renovate all the sun loungers.

2. Deep-clean cabins and public areas.

3. Empty, clean, and re-stock all the minibars.

4. Shampoo all the carpets.

5. Replace worn carpets.

6. Touch up interior paint.

7. Re-paint exterior.

8. Repair the thousands of little things broken in normal operation.

9. Repaint / re-tile Galley floors.

10. Renovate / replace Galley equipment.

11. Install new cables and pipes for new equipment.

12. Clean up all the mess made by the contractors onboard.

13. Feed and care for the 100s or 1000s of contractors living onboard during the dry dock.

14. Wrap every interior area in plastic to avoid damage from contractors.

15. Repair, clean, upgrade crew areas.

16. Stand fire watch.

17. Carry garbage and debris off the ship every hour.

18. Clean and inventory all items in hundreds of storage lockers.

19. Clean, repaint, and repair swimming pools and jacuzzis.

20. Renovate teak decks.

21. Repair/replace/renovate mechanical equipment

Just a little gossip on the subject. I spoke with a friend yesterday who was on the post dry dock cruise on the Prinsendam last December. It appears all passengers on that cruise got a future cruise credit of 30% of the fare they paid. There were many reports of how bad the post dry dock cruise was, so I guess there were enough complaints to substantiate the refund/credit.

Mark….

Archived