Any places to avoid in London late at night??

My DH and I have a long layover in London, most of which is during the night. We plan to take the train into Paddington Station, and then possibly buses around town to see different areas. Are there any areas we should avoid because of safety reasons? I would love to hear from any of you who live in London, or who are familiar with London. Thanks for any help you can give me. (We will probably do a lot of walking,also.)

browneyes7:) :rolleyes:

Unless things have changed, the Underground stops running around 11:30pm/12am. I was once at Picadilly tube station at 11:35, and I just barely got the last train! They're are however special night buses; go on the London Transport site and check out the schedules.

Unless things have changed, the Underground stops running around 11:30pm/12am. I was once at Picadilly tube station at 11:35, and I just barely got the last train! They're are however special night buses; go on the London Transport site and check out the schedules.

Thanks, Twickenham, for your help!

browneyes7:rolleyes:

Are there any areas we should avoid because of safety reasons?
It depends on your appetite for big city risk. Personally, there are no areas of central London (inside the Circle Line) that I would positively avoid late at night other than the area around Kings Cross station. But frankly, I would not be choosing to wander around looking like a tourist in any part of central London in the middle of the night. This is a big city, with normal big city risks at night.

For example, I think I have previously said that the night buses are deliberately very brightly lit inside. This is to try to reduce the levels of harassment, crime, drug-taking and drunken behaviour on the buses at night, which are pretty standard problems in any big city in the middle of the night.

As you're still considering this idea, I should say this: I don't know where you come from or whether you have any real experience of living in a big city (ie of several million people) and being out in the middle of the night. By all means, do this if you're familiar and comfortable with being a big city night owl, or if you want some adventure. But I would personally advise against this, unless you fall within one of those two categories.

The Monocled Mutineer,

Yes it is a relatively safe city, through the day, evening and early night, but as Globaliser says is it worth the risk very late at night. I think not.

When we visit London, we like to be back in the hotel by 12, things are certainly getting lively in the main centre by then.

Archived