Stick with great PVP or save $400 through internet?

RjayB

My PVP actually recommended that I transfer my booking as well because she couldn't compete with the price. She is wonderful and I felt horrible for doing this, but it was saving me $500 on two OV rooms. I had worked with the TA previously, so I had no concerns about the legitimacy of the offer. I ended up booking my 2nd cruise for the year directly through my PVP though, I think it was the guilt I felt :D

Now that's a PVP. Book with her and still shop the online agencies. If you find the better price for your booking, get a PIN# from your PVP for the online TA and your PVP still gets credit. Whatever your TA charges you, Carnival's price or their own price, they pay Carnival the same amount either way.

Dan

I am very torn right now. My PVP is great, and usually gets us pretty good deals, but this cruise we had to book during peak season due to schedule conflicts. The cruise is on the Legend 6-22-08 and an 8A balcony guarantee with a "fairly good" chance of going up a deck or two was $2600 (total for 2) through Carnival. I have already booked this and put down a deposit.

[FYI- Today it looks like the price has dropped a bit for the same balcony guarantee, but 8A's are not even available -- making the upgrade sound more likely.]

Then just for fun, a few weeks ago I decided to try the website that allows agencies to compete for your business. Not surprisingly, most of the first offers were exactly what I was already paying, or maybe slightly less. Over the course of a week, a few other offers came in a bit lower but not enough for me to bite. However, last week two separate agencies came through with a price that is about $350 less (including all taxes, fees, port charges, and fuel surcharge). And one of those agencies is also adding a $100 on-board credit!

So what's the problem? This is our 4th cruise using the same PVP who has done so much for us in the past. It is not her fault that we are booking in prime season, and she has given us on-board credit when the prices dropped before. Since the prices seem to be starting to fall now, I believe that she will be able to put us in a higher cabin with some on-board credit before the end.

On the other hand, I have an agent (we'll call her Zaida) from an internet travel agency that I have never heard of, promising me a 8A guarantee for about $400 less (including the credit). Thats a nice chunk of change, but I am a skeptic by nature. There are plenty of threads on this board showing that not all agencies are created equal...and even that there are (very few) bad apples out there that are absolute crooks.

So Zaida says I have to get a PIN from my PVP and my carnival booking # to transfer the booking to her...but I don't know if I should. First, I will feel terrible for "betraying" my PVP. Second, I don't want to end up in a terrible location even if it is a little cheaper (my PVP is on the lookout for the best cabins available according to our preferences). And third, I don't want to risk losing everything by going with an unknown (to me) agent that could potentially ruin my hard-earned vacation.

So if you have read this far (sorry for the length)...what would you do? And does anyone know the consequences for my PVP if I take the booking away from her? I don't want to cause her any harm:eek:

TIA

--Rjay

I would check the policies of the online TA. What happens if the price drops? Are there any fees, for what, how much, etc. Get it in writing . If that's OK, I'd get the PIN# for them and transfer, your PVP does not suffer.

I have booked well over 50 individual bookings for myself, family and friends thru an agency that is part of the Krooz Kompeet group without problems. And I still shop them thru that group, too.

Dan

Rubbish- that's the same line used by my local dealer when I asked why I should buy from them instead of going out of twon and buying the same car for $1,000 less!

Cheaper is better! You are not more likely to get an upgrade with a PVP. Service? We are talking about renting a space on a ship, not a copy machine!

I have dealt with a PVP on several cruises and the only thing I get from him that I don't get from my online agent is a xmas card!

Right now, I have a cruise booked with an online agency that had the same price as CCL, but also offerred a Mastercard debit card - what's wrong with that? You can also book through an airline and get the same price as CCL will give, but get double airline points. Yes, most will have the same "price", but you can find places that will pay your gratuities, give you a free excursion, insurance, etc.

Wow... harsh much? If you personally think cheaper is better, by all means... that is your opinion. I know that I have experienced in my business, and other aspects of my life that cheaper, is most certainly not better (in all cases, in some, yes). There is always a reason for the same product to be cheaper elsewhere. The grocery stores that have cheaper items, but have you bag your own groceries. The airlines that sell cheap flights, but you pay to check bags and have to buy water, etc etc. We have seen it time and again... someone books a cheap rate, and then time to make final payment and they can't get in touch with anyone. Or a mysterious charge shows up on their credit card and they can't get an answer or anyone on the phone. Or they need to make a change and nobody will get back to them. Or the price is lower and the agency wants to charge them a fee to get the lower price. Or they need to make a name change and it's $150. Happens all the time. Cheaper, in my opinion, is not always better. I would rather spend a little more and know that I'm going to get some amount of service after the sale if needed. Because you never need service, until you do :p

Archived