Stick with great PVP or save $400 through internet?

RjayB

I am very torn right now. My PVP is great, and usually gets us pretty good deals, but this cruise we had to book during peak season due to schedule conflicts. The cruise is on the Legend 6-22-08 and an 8A balcony guarantee with a "fairly good" chance of going up a deck or two was $2600 (total for 2) through Carnival. I have already booked this and put down a deposit.

[FYI- Today it looks like the price has dropped a bit for the same balcony guarantee, but 8A's are not even available -- making the upgrade sound more likely.]

Then just for fun, a few weeks ago I decided to try the website that allows agencies to compete for your business. Not surprisingly, most of the first offers were exactly what I was already paying, or maybe slightly less. Over the course of a week, a few other offers came in a bit lower but not enough for me to bite. However, last week two separate agencies came through with a price that is about $350 less (including all taxes, fees, port charges, and fuel surcharge). And one of those agencies is also adding a $100 on-board credit!

So what's the problem? This is our 4th cruise using the same PVP who has done so much for us in the past. It is not her fault that we are booking in prime season, and she has given us on-board credit when the prices dropped before. Since the prices seem to be starting to fall now, I believe that she will be able to put us in a higher cabin with some on-board credit before the end.

On the other hand, I have an agent (we'll call her Zaida) from an internet travel agency that I have never heard of, promising me a 8A guarantee for about $400 less (including the credit). Thats a nice chunk of change, but I am a skeptic by nature. There are plenty of threads on this board showing that not all agencies are created equal...and even that there are (very few) bad apples out there that are absolute crooks.

So Zaida says I have to get a PIN from my PVP and my carnival booking # to transfer the booking to her...but I don't know if I should. First, I will feel terrible for "betraying" my PVP. Second, I don't want to end up in a terrible location even if it is a little cheaper (my PVP is on the lookout for the best cabins available according to our preferences). And third, I don't want to risk losing everything by going with an unknown (to me) agent that could potentially ruin my hard-earned vacation.

So if you have read this far (sorry for the length)...what would you do? And does anyone know the consequences for my PVP if I take the booking away from her? I don't want to cause her any harm:eek:

TIA

--Rjay

If I understand it correctly, you are not betraying your PVP. They still get credit for the booking....even if you transfer.

The only way the PVP does NOT get credit is if you cancel it all together and completely rebook with the TA. So transferring will not hurt your PVP...

HOWEVER, there is an old saying that if something sounds to good to be true??? Now some TAs will cut their commission to get the sale and that could be what is going on here...but I would have a LONG conversation with my PVP before I took that next step.

The PVP does not mind...since again they still get credit for the booking if it is just transferred.

We’ve always used the same PVP for our Carnival cruises and she’s been great. She has yet to steer us wrong. With that said, however if somebody was going to knock $400 off the best that she could do, then I’d be pretty torn too. I’d just tell her and I trust she’s cool enough to be cool with it.

But….a real big but….I’d have to be no less than 100% sure with the other agency. I’d do some serious background checking there. I can’t believe how many people get taken by scammers. I am of the thought that if it’s too good to be true, it usually is just that.

Did you do a bbb check on this company? I love my pvp and I am very loyal to her and refer people to her all of the time but I would have to go with the savings to be quite honest...although this agency might not be perfect you can always think...right now it's a pain to deal with her but once on the ship it's all about Carnival and you don't have to worry about it.

carnival is suppose to match the price from what my pvp told me .

no matter what website has the lower price, he told me no one can be lower than carnival. so i would call them and ask them to match it,

if they dont, trasfer the booking

no matter what website has the lower price, he told me no one can be lower than carnival. so i would call them and ask them to match it,

Carnival will match lower cruise prices, but they do not match if a TA is cutting their own commission. This would not be a "lower" price...it is the TA paying you to book through them.

I agree there is nothing wrong with that...but Carnival does not match those kinds of deals.

To the OP: my only fear is that this is not the :out the door: price.

When I talk with my PVP...he gives me the "bottom line that is all that will be charged" price. I know there are not cancellation fees etc.

Since a transfer would not lost your PVP the credit for this booking, I would just talk with her. This is a relationship and as such...please feel free to be completely open to get the answers you need to make the best decision.

I am very torn right now.

--Rjay

Your PVP still gets the credit, however they won't be able to assist you anymore should you have issues with your reservation, or if this online agent turns out to be the agent from hell. Before you make the transfer, make sure that you're dealing with someone reputable and knowledgeable. Ask this agent questions about the ship, itinerary, cabin, her own personal experience traveling with Carnival. This should help you make a more educated decision.

More than anything, ask yourself a question: Who would you trust more to take care of your reservation and all of your travel needs should you have a problem?

I know I am not supposed to use the name of the agency, but I recently booked a cruise through the agency that gives you competing prices. It is the first time I am trying this and their price was $400 less than anywhere else. I decided to go with it.

Cheapest isn't always best... the money is coming from somewhere, and probably customer service... Unless I had a positive experience with the business, I doubt I would do it... there is a reason it's so much lower. And I can't tell you how many times we see "The price was so much lower but now they won't call me back, or now they are charging me $100 for changes, or they won't call me back, etc" It happens all the time. In the end, it's your decision to make. Good luck.

Why don't you google the online TA name along with the words opinion OR comments OR review OR complaints? I totally undersand your concerns and in fact, had similar situation. A friend recommended an online TA that she has used for years. I was still skeptical, until googling and finding all kinds of compliments about them, with no criticisms. AND it saved us $700. If you get good feedback and you are not the kind of person that needs a lot of hand holding, then I would go for it. ALthough, I agree with the other writer that I would offer the original TA the opportunity to match the price. Ask, and you will often be surprised. Good Luck

I did this. Booked my cruise back in FEb 2007 thru PVP. Learned about the competing site, tried it. About a week later got a great offer. Switched it to the TA , after I asked lots of questions. Since then, there was a price drop, and he honored it. :D We have 2 balcony cabins, and the savings were too great to pass up. (five of us, so it adds up)

He is good with emails, and I have received every update as far as port changes and fuel charges...

Thank you for all your responses. I know that Carnival will meet all publicly advertised prices, but this particular website allows agencies to give you custom offers so I don't think it applies. I will talk with my PVP and let her know what is going on. Since she will not lose credit if I transfer, she should be able to give me good advice.

Thanks again:)

I am very torn right now. My PVP is great, and usually gets us pretty good deals, but this cruise we had to book during peak season due to schedule conflicts. The cruise is on the Legend 6-22-08 and an 8A balcony guarantee with a "fairly good" chance of going up a deck or two was $2600 (total for 2) through Carnival. I have already booked this and put down a deposit.

[FYI- Today it looks like the price has dropped a bit for the same balcony guarantee, but 8A's are not even available -- making the upgrade sound more likely.]

Then just for fun, a few weeks ago I decided to try the website that allows agencies to compete for your business. Not surprisingly, most of the first offers were exactly what I was already paying, or maybe slightly less. Over the course of a week, a few other offers came in a bit lower but not enough for me to bite. However, last week two separate agencies came through with a price that is about $350 less (including all taxes, fees, port charges, and fuel surcharge). And one of those agencies is also adding a $100 on-board credit!

So what's the problem? This is our 4th cruise using the same PVP who has done so much for us in the past. It is not her fault that we are booking in prime season, and she has given us on-board credit when the prices dropped before. Since the prices seem to be starting to fall now, I believe that she will be able to put us in a higher cabin with some on-board credit before the end.

On the other hand, I have an agent (we'll call her Zaida) from an internet travel agency that I have never heard of, promising me a 8A guarantee for about $400 less (including the credit). Thats a nice chunk of change, but I am a skeptic by nature. There are plenty of threads on this board showing that not all agencies are created equal...and even that there are (very few) bad apples out there that are absolute crooks.

So Zaida says I have to get a PIN from my PVP and my carnival booking # to transfer the booking to her...but I don't know if I should. First, I will feel terrible for "betraying" my PVP. Second, I don't want to end up in a terrible location even if it is a little cheaper (my PVP is on the lookout for the best cabins available according to our preferences). And third, I don't want to risk losing everything by going with an unknown (to me) agent that could potentially ruin my hard-earned vacation.

So if you have read this far (sorry for the length)...what would you do? And does anyone know the consequences for my PVP if I take the booking away from her? I don't want to cause her any harm:eek:

TIA

--Rjay

i do not blame you for being skeptical. that's a big disparity in price. however, sometimes agencies pre-purchase blocks of rooms. and, if they don't unload them, they discount them. is there any way this is the situation w/ your on line agency? if it is, i wld say go for it. that is quite a lot of $, but you may end up in the cat cabin (no upgrade) if that is what they have pre-purchased.

why do you think your sailing will come down w/ ccl? why do you think your pvp will give you an obc? your cruise really isn't that far out at this point, and june is busy season. i wld be surprised if it went lower.

I booked with my PVP. The agency that gives competing prices had an agency that I had used before, with no problems. Their price was $210 cheaper than my Carnival PVP gave me. Since I am about 70 days from sailing, I had to pay the total amt. The PVP told me to transfer the booking...she'll still get credit, and the agency gets their comission...she couldn't match their price for my 9A.

Now comes the rub!! My PVP called me today looking for my Military info. I had booked with her previously...my sister was military, and we booked with her DD14. I told her I never mentioned anything about Military. I said I didn't want to lose the 9A, but I'd cancel, and go with the competing agency, She said she'd have to charge me the cancellation fee!! So now, I don't know what is next...she was going to talk to her supervisor.

Something ain't right. PVP said that without the Military it was another $200 PP. That would put Carnivals price more than $400 over the competitor?? :confused:

Did you do a bbb check on this company? I love my pvp and I am very loyal to her and refer people to her all of the time but I would have to go with the savings to be quite honest...although this agency might not be perfect you can always think...right now it's a pain to deal with her but once on the ship it's all about Carnival and you don't have to worry about it.

That's funny... Have you checked the BBB record of CCL

My PVP called me today looking for my Military info. I had booked with her previously...my sister was military, and we booked with her DD14. :

Why is your PVP calling you after the booking was transfered? They can't touch your reservation anymore....

I would be leary of any vacation being dropped by that huge of an amount. However, from what I am understanding many have used if not the same website but similar ones.

My PVP would not honor Travelocity's pricing for our NYE cruise. So I booked with Travelocity. She said if I could get that deal then I better book it and there was no way they could honor that price. It was not cheaper but the upgrades were well worth the difference.

You have asked for an opinion...I would not leave this very good relationship. A pricetag cannot be put on trust if this is the relationship you have with your PVP. Remember if there is a price drop your PVP will give you everything he or she can. Just my $0.02.

My PVP actually recommended that I transfer my booking as well because she couldn't compete with the price. She is wonderful and I felt horrible for doing this, but it was saving me $500 on two OV rooms. I had worked with the TA previously, so I had no concerns about the legitimacy of the offer. I ended up booking my 2nd cruise for the year directly through my PVP though, I think it was the guilt I felt :D

You have asked for an opinion...I would not leave this very good relationship. A pricetag cannot be put on trust if this is the relationship you have with your PVP. Remember if there is a price drop your PVP will give you everything he or she can. Just my $0.02.

Rubbish- that's the same line used by my local dealer when I asked why I should buy from them instead of going out of twon and buying the same car for $1,000 less!

Cheaper is better! You are not more likely to get an upgrade with a PVP. Service? We are talking about renting a space on a ship, not a copy machine!

I have dealt with a PVP on several cruises and the only thing I get from him that I don't get from my online agent is a xmas card!

Right now, I have a cruise booked with an online agency that had the same price as CCL, but also offerred a Mastercard debit card - what's wrong with that? You can also book through an airline and get the same price as CCL will give, but get double airline points. Yes, most will have the same "price", but you can find places that will pay your gratuities, give you a free excursion, insurance, etc.

Rubbish- that's the same line used by my local dealer when I asked why I should buy from them instead of going out of twon and buying the same car for $1,000 less!

Cheaper is better! You are not more likely to get an upgrade with a PVP. Service? We are talking about renting a space on a ship, not a copy machine!

I have dealt with a PVP on several cruises and the only thing I get from him that I don't get from my online agent is a xmas card!

Right now, I have a cruise booked with an online agency that had the same price as CCL, but also offerred a Mastercard debit card - what's wrong with that? You can also book through an airline and get the same price as CCL will give, but get double airline points. Yes, most will have the same "price", but you can find places that will pay your gratuities, give you a free excursion, insurance, etc.

As I stated it was my opinion. At the same time, I won't go out of town to save $1000 on a vehicle. Consequently, the customer service I get is unparallelled. There is a value placed on customer service. Some of us value it more than others. To me it is very important. Either way is ok its just what is right for you!

Your PVP is completely wrong. The opposite is true, a TA can ALWAYS beat Carnival's price if they choose. But Carnival MUST stick with their advertised price. They may discount for residence or military or something else but the TA's also have access to the same discounts. A TA just cannot advertise a price lower than Carnival. But they can sell lower.

Dan

Archived