Looking for KW shops that sell...

jan6182

I would add the Cuba!,Cuba! art gallery on Duval and the Coach outlet also on Duval. Across from the Shipwreck Historeum there are some shell and sponge shops that sell many sea-oriented souveniers and such things as boat models, ship's wheels, etc. Near there is also the Tortuga rum cake shop. It has other unusual food items as well such as chocolate rum fudge.

There is the Key West Aloe Store that has many very nice soaps, shampoos, etc made of aloe and having wonderful fragrances. We buy their Frangipani hand soap every time we come to Key West. It comes in a regular size and a guest soap size.

There is the Key West Winery store on Simonton that has some interesting items.

The famous Ron John's Surf store opened a two-story shop on Front Street about a year ago. That shop has all kinds of clothing for surfers, skate boarders, other water sports, bathing suits, etc. It is worth taking a look.

The Fast Buck Freddies which is so interesting and has very well decorated windows also has an outlet store...I think it is called Slow Buck Freddies, but I might be worng on the exact name. It is not on Duval.

The gift shop in the new and free Eco-Discovery Science Center has some interesting books and items about sea life and the ecology of the Florida Keys.

Here is another idea. Key West was once a center for the production of hand-rolled Cuban cigars before much of the industry moved to Tampa. However you can still buy hand-rolled cigars in Key West. One place is at the little shop beside EL Meson de Pepe, a Cuban restaurant. There a woman sits hand-rolling cigars and you can watch, but she's not the friendliest person you ever met. She doesn't like to talk, evidently. Still the shop has a nice selection of various sizes of cigars.

Another idea is the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum. There they sell a large assortment of jewelry made from Spanish coins they have salvaged from the wreck of the Spanish galleon the Atocha. Some of this jewelry is very pricey, but some is within reach.

There is a hammock store, but I can't quite place where it is...maybe Duval, which is the main shopping drag anyway.

Duval is lined with souvenier shops selling mugs, key chains, shot glasses-- all that stuff. Some of the shops are of a higher calling such as the several art and sculpture galleries and some well-known clothing stores. There is at least one Birkenstock store.

Mathiessen Ice Cream shop on Duval has wonderful fudge as well as ice cream.

There are a few shops which sell the T-shirts I first ran across in Hawaii. They are good quality and are often dyed with interesting dyes such as Key Lime, beer and some other unexpected dyes. They have very interesting sayings and graphics.

Speaking of T-shirts, all the famous bars and saloons such as Sloppy Joe's, Hog's Breath, Captain Tony's, Green Parrot have their own gift shop with their logo on numerous items of clothing and mugs, shot glasses, beer coozies, etc.

Neat clothes, crafty things, different beauty products, stuff for the home... anything eclectic!

I love discovering fun boutiques... any suggestions?!?

For different beauty products, Besame Mucho on Petronia just past Whitehead.

For crafty things, try Mary O'Shea's Glass Garden on Simonton. She specializes in glass jewelry...

http://www.keywestglass.com/

Pjk

• 3 weeks later...

On the street you walk on when you get off the ship, on the left side are some shops. There's a great sandal place, made right there, I think called Kino's. Sandals for $10 and they are terrific. Still have mine from 2 years ago. Ck it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Peppers of Key West on Greene St. Amazing variety of hot sauce. Also features cool assortment of dishware, kitchen supplies, cook books, knick knacks and a pepper tasting bar. Dangerous! :)

They also have a website if you want to take a look before your arrival.

Enjoy!

Archived