QE2, ships & Google Earth

bobby1119

Has anyone ever found QE2 on Google Earth?

I have found Queen Mary 2 and other unidentifiable cruiseships in various ports. The wreck of the great Italian liner Raffaello can be seen offshore Bushiri, Iran, where she sank.

Thanks,

Bobby

Yes. She used to be in San Pedro, but they seem to have updated the images and she is no longer there.

I have found Queen Mary 2...
She used to be in Lisbon and Manhattan but, again, they have updated the Lisbon image.

You need a confederate on the ship. They could relay the daily position that is read over the PA system at noon or posted on the chart. Once emailed to you, you could plug in into Google maps.:)

Of course you are assuming that these maps are being constantly updated, I doubt if that is the case.

I have found Queen Mary 2 and other unidentifiable cruiseships in various ports. The wreck of the great Italian liner Raffaello can be seen offshore Bushiri, Iran, where she sank.

Thanks,

Bobby

there is a tracking map for all ships at sea including the QM2 but it is graphics not photos (googgle QM2 tracking map)

As I posted on the other Google Earth listing:

While you are Googling on their maps (http://maps.google.com/) in NYC, have a look at the Manhattan piers - west side about 50th st. On mine they picked one of the times QM2 was docked there. And a Celebrity cruise ship - Zenith or Horizon.

Ah the good ...recent... old days.

Can I have more details of where to find the Raffaello? We sailed on her 2x and while I most likely don't want to see what's left, I want to see what's left. I've found some of my slides from back when and I've been adding to my picture site so far this year.

Thanks,

Bobby

You will find the QE2 on Google Earth docked in Sydney (Circular Quay).

Thanks for that Ozziecruiser,

I spent a pretty unproductive afternoon at work searching as many of the likely spots in the Northern Hemisphere as I could think of, but without success.

What's interesting is that, because the satellite imagery isn't all done in real time, there's really no reason why the ships shouldn't appear in more than one place. Anyone else got any other location for QE2 or QM2.

Jimmy

As I posted on the other Google Earth listing:

While you are Googling on their maps (http://maps.google.com/) in NYC, have a look at the Manhattan piers - west side about 50th st. On mine they picked one of the times QM2 was docked there. And a Celebrity cruise ship - Zenith or Horizon.

Ah the good ...recent... old days.

Can I have more details of where to find the Raffaello? We sailed on her 2x and while I most likely don't want to see what's left, I want to see what's left. I've found some of my slides from back when and I've been adding to my picture site so far this year.

To see the remains of Raffaello, go to Google Earth and enter "Wreck of Raffaello" in the search bar. This will take you to Bushiri, Iran. You can see the shape of the hull which is submerged.

I, too, made two transatlantic crossings on the "Raff" when I was a college student, as well as a cruise to the Caribbean on the sister ship Michelangelo. They were wonderful ships which had all-too-short careers.

Do you have a site with photos of Raffaello? Where can they be viewed?

Some of mine can be seen on the World Ship NY website under the link for Members Photo Gallery... Several shots of Italian Line ships, including the former Augustus in Manila, Philippines, which I went to see during visits to friends in Philippines.

Thank you! I had looked at Sydney several times, especially last year when planning my visit there on QE2. At that time, Oriana was docked there in the image. Google must be updating their maps.

Soon all we will have to do is go to Google Earth - Palm Jumeriah!

My picture site is at the bottom of my listing, labeled MY PICTURE SITE. Tick cruise ships down on the left and you will find our favorite ship. If/when I have time I am adding more, as I go through old boxes.

Thanks folks for letting me see the old ship. Just a long blob below the water. When will Ballard have up and close pictures? Maybe there's a quest to get to! Anyone know if she is upside down?

I just did a search for Raffaello sinking and got this page

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480683&page=7 for Michelangello sinking pictures. It is over 56 pages long and I just don't have time to through it while this page is open.

Update: Now it says search is down, as it was part of last week, so I can't go farther.

Archived