Explorer Grand Suite Balcony Question

We are looking at booking a grand suite on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne and had a question regarding the balcony. In looking at photos are all of the balconies split (meaning that one side looks like a huge porthole and the other side wide open). I would prefer to have a wide open balcony unless they are all like that. I hope that someone understands what I am asking. If anyone has GS cabin numbers, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

We had GS 1324 on the hump and the balcony was the whole width of the room, the sliders only opened on the living room side, but it was a long balcony.

Do you mean on the balcony itself??? I think maybe I know what you mean, the metal framing? One side does look sort of like a portwhole, the other side it open. It's much larger than a regular balcony.

Janet,

We were also in a Grand Suite and also in Suite 1324 Deck 10. It is a really very, very nice stateroom. I think there was a Royal Family Suite right next to us and their balcony seemed much smaller than ours. Our sliding glass doors only opened to the balcony by the sofa area and the large floor to ceiling window in line with the sliding doors is across from the bed. So the whole area is all glass looking out on to the balcony which had a lounge chair, round table and two chairs. It is one of the larger balconies for this category and it was very spacious. It was definitly not a pigeon hole. I am not sure what Purcell meant by the hump becasue I felt this stateroom was fairly located midship. Maybe midship is called the hump? We never felt a thing :>)! Also what was nice was that we were one deck above the Concierge Club............ very convenient .........just out the door and one flight of stairs and you were there..........nice in the AM for coffee and juice and esp. nice in the evening for cocktails. Our concierge Nicky was wonderful and also Gerald our stateroom attendant was great. Both their attention and service added to the ambiance and pleasure of this cruise. Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

We also were in a GS and the exterior balcony did have two openings. It is not plexiglass like the newer ships, basically all steel. I did not really like the balcony for the reason of the two holes and not wide open and no plexiglass. Kind of claustraphobic.

I believe this is the configuration of the owner's suite balcony.

On Explorer, the balcony doesn't extend the entire width of the suite. You'll have a balcony on 1/2 of the room--the other side is your bedroom and large bath!

Hi Fredericksburg, I'm in Manassas. :)

We are looking at booking a grand suite on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne and had a question regarding the balcony. In looking at photos are all of the balconies split (meaning that one side looks like a huge porthole and the other side wide open). I would prefer to have a wide open balcony unless they are all like that. I hope that someone understands what I am asking. If anyone has GS cabin numbers, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Both times we were in a GS on the Explorer the balcony was the width of the room with no obstructions. Only the sofa side sliding door opens, the other is stationary. It is a very nice size with a small table and 2 chairs on one side and a lounge chair and small side table on the other. The OS balcony is smaller. I think that is perhaps the balcony split you see when looking at the ship.

TIKA & DPURCELL - I am in 1324 next week! Glad to hear it is a nice room - do you know if the sofa bed is comfy - we have a 13 year old and 10 year old boy... I am hoping the concierge emails me so I can request a seperate cot bed and egg crate for the sofa bed if necessary. Is this usually the sort of request he would expect in advance? Thanks. Hollyanna

Both times we were in a GS on the Explorer the balcony was the width of the room with no obstructions. Only the sofa side sliding door opens, the other is stationary. It is a very nice size with a small table and 2 chairs on one side and a lounge chair and small side table on the other. The OS balcony is smaller. I think that is perhaps the balcony split you see when looking at the ship.

This is correct on the Explorer, the balcony runs width of suite. It is the Owners Suite that has the smaller balcony because the bedroom is bumped out with a picture window. :)

This is what I am trying to ask. If you look out the cabin you are looking at two separate viewing areas on the balcony. On the left it is a porthole type view, metal framing in the middle, and then on the right a wide open view. Are all GS balconies set up like this? Thanks!

catGS_VYEXAD_060705_005-vi.jpg.d9d34e9370a6140782d92c04c6562d63.jpg

TIKA & DPURCELL - I am in 1324 next week! Glad to hear it is a nice room - do you know if the sofa bed is comfy - we have a 13 year old and 10 year old boy... I am hoping the concierge emails me so I can request a seperate cot bed and egg crate for the sofa bed if necessary. Is this usually the sort of request he would expect in advance? Thanks. Hollyanna

My 13 yr old son slept on the sofa bed and it was comfy. There would probably be enough room for both your kids (or are they boy/girl???). It's pretty big. You're going soon? Oh right, you said next week. Email Ricky in the CL - Ex_concierge@rccl.com - you could say you got his email from Denise. He is great, we love him. He'll help you with anything you need. We loved that room.

Check out this link:

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/albums/cabins/suites/GS/html/GSFR.html

As you can see, the Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure have cut-outs for viewing. The Navigator and Mariner which are newer ships are wide open and have the glass railings/barriers. From the research I've done (I haven't been on any other Voyager-Class ship besides Mariner), this is the main difference between the old and new Voyager-Class vessels.

It would be tight to add a cot in the room unless it was put in the mirrored closet area when you first walk in. When the sofa bed is pulled out there is ample space between the bottom of the bed and sofa bed to get around. Putting a cot there would close that up. The sofa bed will easily sleep two.

Most sofa beds have been replaced and are firm, but comfy enough. An egg crate will make it softer. The old sofa beds were not comfortable at all and we were glad to see a new one last time we sailed on the Explorer.

I am sure the concierge could let your room steward know of your sleeping preferences before you board. Enjoy!

We had GS 1324 on the hump and the balcony was the whole width of the room, the sliders only opened on the living room side, but it was a long balcony.

quote]

Being in this Grand Suite 1324,and because it bows out a little....Is it private? Can the other cabins look into your balcony ? :o

Archived