sparkling wine in our room

bamn

DH and I will be taking our first cruise March 29 abourd the Inspiration to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I saw that you could bring your own wine and pay a corkage fee in the dining room but what if we want to enjoy it alone in our room one night for a little private celebration. Can we do that instead. What do they charge for that? Thanks ~ Molly

We brought a couple bottles of wine on our recent cruise. Silly, stupid me actually forgot the corkscrew. :( We called room service and they came up with one. Wasn't charged a corkage fee and then we brought what was left in the bottle to the dining room. Wasn't charged anything there either.

What was kind of amusing is that the room service attendant hadn't a clue how to open the bottle. They started and nearly ripped the cork off. :eek: I then kindly offered to open the bottle of our precious liquid.

Just thought of something . . .

I'm not a wine expert by any means, however I think most sparkling wine doesn't require a corkscrew to open. In fact, if you do you use one you will have a very dangerous situation of flying cork. You will just have to "pop" the cork for sparkling wine.

Cool - so I don't have to "smuggle" it or anything right. I can just lable it and I am good to go? I read somewhere that people were putting good wine in the bottom of their suitcase and cheapstuff on the top and when they got caught they gave up the cheap stuff and got away with the good stuff. If you can bring wine for your room why do they have to do that?:confused:

Cool - so I don't have to "smuggle" it or anything right. I can just lable it and I am good to go? I read somewhere that people were putting good wine in the bottom of their suitcase and cheapstuff on the top and when they got caught they gave up the cheap stuff and got away with the good stuff. If you can bring wine for your room why do they have to do that?:confused:

Depends on how much you are bringing on (I don't like the word smuggling ;) ). When you print you sign and sail documents online, there is a section that refers to what you can bring on. Talks about "reasonable" amounts of soda or water and one bottle of wine per person.

My guess is that the folks you are talking about were bringing aboard more than just a bottle or two. :eek:

Just thought of something . . .

I'm not a wine expert by any means, however I think most sparkling wine doesn't require a corkscrew to open. In fact, if you do you use one you will have a very dangerous situation of flying cork. You will just have to "pop" the cork for sparkling wine.

lol duh !!! on me. I brought a corkscrew because the TA said they were delivering wine to our cabin (which never came so the corkscrew was wasted). So, far I havent brought my own yet, but just might.

I wasn't thinking, plead insanity.

You are allowed 1 bottle of wine per pax. So, you can even hand carry the one bottle you are allowed. If you are bringing extra, that is when the "smuggling" comes into play and people are putting it into checked luggage.

DH and I will be taking our first cruise March 29 abourd the Inspiration to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I saw that you could bring your own wine and pay a corkage fee in the dining room but what if we want to enjoy it alone in our room one night for a little private celebration. Can we do that instead. What do they charge for that? Thanks ~ Molly

They charge nothing for wine consumed in your cabin. And it seems to be hit and miss in the dining room as well. And Happy 20th Anniversary!!! :D :D What a way to celebrate it.

If you are having wine in your cabin, you can go to any inside bar and ask for wine glasses. They even give you a choice of glasses depending on what type of wine you are having. Outside bars only have plastic glasses. Enjoy your cruise!! My husband and I took our first cruise for our 25th anniv. and we are hooked! We just took our 13th and are planning our 14th for later this year.

slightly off topic, if you are a beer drinker of Bud or Bud light, and order a bucket to keep in the cabin ( on ice) you need to bring your own bottle opener. We did not have one and had to call room service to open the first bottle ( no screw off tops). After that, we asked at the bar and our cabin stewards, they all said use the door jam to open the bottles. While this does work, it gets some of the beer on the door frame.:eek: So lesson learned, our bottle opener is already packed for our next cruise! This was on the Inspriration, so it maybe different on other ships...in fact they had screw tops on the Bud light on the Victory last Sept.

Archived