Transfers - Another Question

ilovetinks

Sorry if this gets posted twice....I couldn't find my old post. - EEK...sorry I guess I didn't give my old post time to come back up to the top...Sorry!!! I don't know how to delete the repeated post!

Thanks for all the info about the airport to port transfers. I had just assumed it was included (it was for our NCL cruise) but after I booked the room I was then told that the price didn't include transfers....grrr!!

Anyway, some of you said to book a flight seperately and I know it is cheaper, but here's my question/concern. If you book a flight not through the cruise company and it gets delayed cancelled then the ship will leave without you...right?

However, is it true that if the flight is booked through the cruise, and it gets cancelled/delayed...the ship has to wait or make other arrangements for you to catch the boat? Am I wrong in thinking this is correct? :confused:

Our budget doesn't allow for staying anywhere pre/post cruise (hotel) so we'd have to leave on a flight the same day we board the ship.

Thanks!!

You're right--if you book your air thru the cruiseline, and there are delays, the cruiseline will somehow get you to the next port. Do it on your own, and YOU will have to get yourself to meet the ship if you miss it in the 1st place!

Travel Insurance can help with that!

If you are more comfortable with the cruiseline doing it all for you--by all means, let them! It's true you can probably get cheaper air on your own, but if you are totally stressed about it-it's not worth the savings!

You say your budget does not allow you to fly in a day before your cruise and pay for a hotel.

But, I think if you book your own air and arrange for your own transportation to the ship, you will save enough money to more then pay for your hotel. You can get a hotel for very little money. I would never, never travel the day of departure.

I would book my own air to arrive a day early and search for a very inexpensive hotel or try bidding on Priceline. You may even be able to find a hotel that provides free shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise ship.

Our first cruise, we bought air thru the cruiseline for flying in same day. Long (unhappy) story short, they got us to the first port the next day at their expense.

On "sailaway day", we were taken to a hotel at midnight without our luggage and had to fly out at 8 the next morning. Not a situation I would want to repeat since most of the day was spent in various airports standing at the Delta counter and on the phone to the cruise line. Many flights and a long limo trip thru Florida. weee haaa. Tiring, disappointing, frustrating. Don't start a cruise that way.

We will NEVER EVER fly in same day. There wasn't severe weather, it was just rain, but these days, delays are way more common.

The other lesson, always have a fresh pair of undies in your carryon. You just never know how long you'll have nothing but what you're wearing. :rolleyes:

Archived