Huatulco, Mexico - Any Suggestions?

lszu

We did a river rafting trip and it was very nice. No real swift water, just a pleasant experience. Lots of birds to see and nice warm water. Swimming at the beach at the end of the raft trip. Expect heat and wear sunscreen. Bugs were not a problem in March when we were there.

Hello....

We recently stopped in Huatulco on a Quest Panama Canal Cruise.

I was not enthralled with the ship's shore excursion offerings; I had always wanted to visit the Turtle Sanctuary near Huatulco and I'm not sure why it's not included in a tour. (The person at the ship's excursion desk told me there is "nothing there".)

We took a taxi, along with another interested couple. After about a 1/2 hour drive on a beautiful winding road through tropical scenery we arrived at the Sanctuary which is located on a beautiful palm lined bay in the small town of Mazunte, near Puerto Angel.

We saw everything from very large sea turtles in huge tanks to very tiny babies, being readied for release back into the sea. The signage was good and there were several identified turtle species to observe. All of this was under a very cool palapa-like area. The inside building contained a huge aquarium for sea turtles; seeing them so close was amazing.

It was a very feel-good experience, as these people are working very hard to preserve endangered species and to prevent people from killing turtles for their meat and shells.

Adjacent to the preserve is a small shop, an off-shoot of the Body Shop in the US, selling scented oils, lotions, shampoos and other products, packaged beautifully and wrapped with twine. The shop was full of tourists, like ourselves, filling bags to the brim with useful souveniers.

Our taxi driver functioned as a guide, went through the Sanctuary with us, showed us a beautiful beachfront easy access place for a cool drink, gave us a tour of Puerto Angel and then stopped in La Cruecita, near the cruise ship, for a visit to a church and a bit of shopping around the main plaza.

We had only six hours in port and the tour was probably 5 1/2 hours. For this we were charged $150 for four of us and tipped him $50.

We had a great time, probably spent no more than we would have on a ship's tour, and didn't have to crowd into a bus.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

murphysmum;)

Thanks, guys! Both suggestions sound good.

Murphysmum - Was the taxi pre-planned or did you just find him at the pier? We got to see the turtles in Grand Cayman - beautiful creatures.

Hi!

I didn't preplan for a taxi. I figured there'd be a lot at the pier and I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

Typical in Mexico is for one person who speaks English fluently to inquire if you need a taxi, where you want to go and whether or not you speak Spanish. If you need an English speaking driver you'll be paired with one. If you speak Spanish, you'll get a Spanish speaking driver.

I do speak Spanish so I'd rather have fun refreshing my skills and I've never had a bad time with a taxi driver.

Enjoy yourself!

murphysmum;)

Thanks again, murphysmum! Very helpful. Definitely something to think about. I speak about enough Spanish to order a beer, find out what time it is, and find the ladies' room. I think ;)

We did a river rafting trip and it was very nice. No real swift water, just a pleasant experience. Lots of birds to see and nice warm water. Swimming at the beach at the end of the raft trip. Expect heat and wear sunscreen. Bugs were not a problem in March when we were there.

How was the water temp for swimming in March? We will be there in early May.

There is a tour company with a stall at the end of the pier. We had booked in advance with them but you could "do it on the day" We did a Customs and Traditions Tour

Do you happen to have their email /website?.We are sailing there on the Coral in April..thanks

We were there March 14. Walk all the way to the end of the pier into the harbor area. There are small boat/panga guys for hire. Four of us hired one for $20 to take us over to la Entrega beach and come back for us in two hours. Not many people from the ship were there. The water was warm and there is decent snorkeling along the reef to your left. You can rent a chair/umbrella for $5 and they will bring you beers and drinks on the beach. We had a very pleasant time there. Don't pay the boat guy until you get back.

Has anyone gone on the bicycle ride? How strenuous is it? It's a Princess sponsored excursion, and we're booked for it in April.

We have booked this excursion too, but may cancel it as we only have 6 hours in port, the excursion offers 15 mins shopping..... I tend to NEED more than that

Archived