Cell phones in SanJuan

kruisin' kim

When I was in St. Thomas last year' date=' we were able to use our cell phones. Does this stand true for San Juan also, since it is U.S. territory? Thanks for your replies.[/quote']

Yes! I have sprint and it worked fine, with no roaming..........

Verizon use there required us to get international service agreement for our phones prior to traveling to San Juan.... No biggy, took us about 5 minutes to do this at home.....

Joey

I have Alltel (National Freedom) and as I read their Web site, looks like I should be good in San Juan with no additional charges, anyone have any experience using Alltel in San Juan? Also shipboard, $2.49 per minute plus .50 (not sure per call or minute), anyone actually used this? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
When I was in St. Thomas last year' date=' we were able to use our cell phones. Does this stand true for San Juan also, since it is U.S. territory? Thanks for your replies.[/quote']

ATT did work fine there, just make sure you have your normal ATT logo on your phone, not something at sea... Once you are within a few miles of the coast the phones should start to work, but just be careful before you make a call that you are with your true service provider.

Also another note if you plan on making any calls with your phone on the ship be sure to get international calling turned on, my phone had it turned off and I had to get it turned on prior to leaving in order to make calls from the ship.

Verizon use there required us to get international service agreement for our phones prior to traveling to San Juan.... No biggy, took us about 5 minutes to do this at home.....

Joey

I think they got ya on that. Just got back from San Juan and it is part of the US! We have verizon and used it everyday and it was treated as a local call

You will not have problems or roaming charges when using your cell phone in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is U.S. Common Wealth and you will not be charged international prices. If you use T-mobile your phone will show under a different antenna name because T-mobile is not used in PR. But this does not mean you are roaming, nor will you get charged for it.

Archived