Passport Card

njtwinmom

Hi, I want to get the Passport Card. We do not fly so we will not need a passport. The cards would be a total of $160 for our family instead of $370 for the passports.

It says that the card is valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only. I asked my TA and she said we are fine with the card. We are going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Grand Turk. Just double checking we are going to be OK with the passcard visiting these places, right?

Changed my mind. I read some more on these boards and I didn't think about having to fly home if there is an emergency. So I guess we will get the passports. Eventhough we don't fly, we would if we had to.

Karen

My husband are seriously considering the card. I am awaiting more information on it, especially how long it is valid. We only cruise, and have no intention of cruising to Europe (would be nice). For our purpose the card may work. As far as flying back into the States, may never happen. And if it does I would assume that the process would go much smoother having something rather than nothing. And it has not been stated that you would not be able to use the card to enter the US from the Caribbean. There is a purpose for offering the cards in the first place. For people like us, who really may never need the benefit of a full passport.

The card is valid for 10 years for adults, just like a regular passport. But the purpose of the card is mainly for those living along border states that may cross over several times a year, not for people traveling on cruises though it can be used for that for now. I suspect that will change at some point.

Changed my mind. I read some more on these boards and I didn't think about having to fly home if there is an emergency. So I guess we will get the passports. Eventhough we don't fly, we would if we had to.

Karen

I agree! I went through the same thought process. It sounded good at first. . . but if you're going go get one, might as well be the passport. Just never know I guess!

Kathy

Karen/Grandiva,

For your purpose you don't even need the passcard. The only benefit of this card to a cruiser is it fits in a wallet. You have already considered the disadvantages (mainly flying home in an emergency), so if you don't mind taking along your birth certificate copies, that will generally be a lot cheaper than paying for the passcard.

Personally, I would recommend getting a passport, but that is just an opinion.:)

Karen/Grandiva,

For your purpose you don't even need the passcard. The only benefit of this card to a cruiser is it fits in a wallet. You have already considered the disadvantages (mainly flying home in an emergency), so if you don't mind taking along your birth certificate copies, that will generally be a lot cheaper than paying for the passcard.

Personally, I would recommend getting a passport, but that is just an opinion.:)

The cruise industry has been fighting this mandatory passport thing for the last couple of years. They fear all the business they will lose if "ocassional cruisers" have to spend for a passport. Ex: co-worker would like to cruise, but not at the cost of a passport. And the cruise industry knows this. That is why it has been put off and put off over and over. I do believe that the card will likely give the cruise traveler the benefit of returning home by air in the case of emergency or illness. The whole passport issue is A decision that each individual must make, according to his/her purpose. Some people "get off" at having a passport, with no where to go.

The cruise industry has been fighting this mandatory passport thing for the last couple of years.
Not only have they been fighting it; they already won. DHS removed the passport requirement for most cruisers on June 20, 2007. This regulation is the final step of the WHTI implementation, which in itself has been pushed back yet again, this time to June of 2009. But it matters not how far or how many times it is pushed back, the regulation whenever implemented will not require passports for RT cruisers. IF there were to be a further change (ie adding a passport requirement for cruisers back in) it would no doubt take at least as long as these first two phases, which appear to be on track for a 5 year minimum implementation timeline.

I do believe that the card will likely give the cruise traveler the benefit of returning home by air in the case of emergency or illness.
Cannot say I have any insight on the future utility of passcards for emergency flights home--for that we will just have to wait and see if they are any more useful than a BC or DL currrently is in humanitarian passport waiver cases. I suspect they will be treated much the same, but that is just a best guess on my part.

Actually, you can get both a passport and the passcard for the same amount as the the passport alone. The Department of State has change the entire price structure of getting a passport.

I have applied for both but the card is not available yet. I will get mine as soon as it is available. However, if you want more information rather than speculation go to http://travel.state.gov to have your questions answered.

Actually, you can get both a passport and the passcard for the same amount as the the passport alone.
You can get both, but not for the same price as just a passport ($100) What you do save is a duplicate processing fee of $25. Alone, a passport card is $45. It is an extra $20 if obtained at the same time as a passport or if you already have a passport.

I think that is a good choice. I really don't understand why someone would pay for a passport card when they could just use some other form of id. A passport is far better, IMO.

Well I believe it is being produced for those who cross the border frequently. It is a lot easier to carry a card in your wallet with your driver's license than an entire passport. AND if you have both and lose the card you still have the booklet.

It is an extra $20 if obtained at the same time as a passport or if you already have a passport.

I stand corrected...when I did mine they quoted me the price as if I had my pic done at the post office but I brought it in so it seemed like the same amount. lol

Archived