Solo...With Kid?

mrsraggy

Hey, How do you all recommend I proceed with my cruise as a solo with a 7 year-old son? I don't want to go to the singles night because I'm not looking for "companionship" other than a few fun folks to hang out with.

My son will be busy with the Kid's Crew part of the time and with me part of the time. I'd like to dine in the specialty restaurant one evening while he's busy, but I wonder how accommodating those venues are to a solo woman.

Any tips, suggestions, etc.. are deeply appreciated.

We will be on the NCL Star April 8th to Mexico.

Karin

Hi,

Any tips about sailing solo (not single!) with a 7 year old? I would like to spend most of my time with my son, but a little adult conversation may be quite welcome after 3 or 4 days!

I also plan to use the specialty restaurants on board. My son is a chicken nugget kind of guy.

How can I meet other solo sailors without running into the hooking up sort of crowd? If I dine solo at the specialty restaurant, will I get an attitude?

Help!!

Karin

What cruise line are you taking? It's really a different sort of thing when you're cruising with a child rather than going totally solo. I really don't think you need to worry about the "hooking up" aspect of cruising unless you're sending out those kinds of signals. I feel that a majority of solo cruisers, as opposed to singles cruises, aren't looking for that hooking up kind of thing. When you ask about the alternate restaurants, are you referring to the fancy ones that require reservations? You won't be treated differently at all, nor will you get an attitude. Lots of solos dine in those restaurants. You will experience things differently than your usual solo, as we don't have children, but that shouldn't diminish your cruise experience. Instead of being seated with other solos, you might want to be seated with other families. Unfortunately, many solos want to avoid children---please don't take that as a slam on you or your child, but it is unfortunately a fact of life. But there are usually lots of single parents on cruises, rather than solos, that you can hang around with. But then again, you might find a solo who would love to hang with you and your child. I sure wouldn't mind sharing conversation with a single parent.

Have you gone over to the Roll Call Board to see if any other single parents are on your cruise? You might want to try that. You might also want to post this on the Family Cruising Board. You'll find lots of single parents who can give you great advice.

But no matter what, HAVE FUN

On what line are you sailing? Many have kiddo menus in the main dining room.

Hi,

Any tips about sailing solo (not single!) with a 7 year old? I would like to spend most of my time with my son, but a little adult conversation may be quite welcome after 3 or 4 days!

I also plan to use the specialty restaurants on board. My son is a chicken nugget kind of guy.

How can I meet other solo sailors without running into the hooking up sort of crowd? If I dine solo at the specialty restaurant, will I get an attitude?

Help!!

Karin

... We will be on the NCL Star April 8th to Mexico...
What cruise line are you taking?...
On what line are you sailing?...

The first post now in this thread was moved from another thread. It gives the requested information.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Thanks, Kat. NCL does have kiddo menus which may save $ versus specialty restaurants.

On what line are you sailing? Many have kiddo menus in the main dining room.

The first post now in this thread was moved from another thread. It gives the requested information.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived