Where to go on babys first cruise???

ChristieK0310

Hi,

I am hoping for some advice on cruising with an 8 mth old baby. :eek:

We went on RCL (Navigator) last year while I was pregnant, had a ball and booked Independance for October - really looking forward to it a baby will be just turned 1.

However we have a little bit of spare cash and are looking for somewhere to go in May or June time. Not too sure of what line to go for or where to go as worried about the sun etc and don't want to feel like people are looking at us thinking, "why have they brought a baby?"

RCL looks great but I think its expensive as baby has to pay full 3rd passenger rate so was looking at P&O ventura? Thought of Baltics as both hubby and I would love to see the area but thought there will not be any other children. Am worried that after RCL Navigator we won't like other lines. :confused:

Any ideas???

Should add that we are from UK and would prefer UK departure as don't really want to fly too far but for right price would go anywhere!

Thanks in advance,

Christie

NCL is a good line, from our limited experience. The price break on infants is a great bonus too. If you're worried about the sun/heat, maybe one of the itineraries that head north towards Scandanavia might be nice (if you were closer, I would also suggest Alaska.) Long days/daylight and not totally freezing at that time of year.

For what it's worth, on our two cruises with our son (at age 6 months and again at 9 months) we didn't get anything but compliments for taking him to "see the world." If anyone was thinking "why is that baby here?" they were overshadowed by everyone else saying, "He's so cute" and "Good for you for bringing him with you!" :) Just be sure to purchase travel insurance in case he (or you!) gets ill right before or during the trip.

Have fun choosing a cruise!

Our family was on Navigator last summer. It was a great ship with something for everyone. It was certainly a "family friendly" ship! I am sure that Independence will be even better.

I would recommend going somewhere sunny and low key with an 8 month old baby. You could still get one of the last Canary Island trips in May. Brilliance of the Seas (my all time favorite ship) also has a trip out of Southampton in May.

The other alternative would be to fly to Miami/Orlando and catch one of the Caribbean cruises. It's a pretty easy flight and I know you can get a great deal on these trips with the $ being so low. With this trip, you could also do some shopping either before or after your cruise and hang out on the beach a bit more.

My third choice would be the baltic. The baltic is nice as most of ports are more compact and it is easy to get around pushing a stroller. Many of the hop-on hop-off buses come right up to the ship terminal. The exception is St. Petersburg where everything is highly controlled.

Good luck!

Archived