How to afford to take a family on a cruise?

chris&holly

Heatherco....the Royal Caribbean ships do look great but are quite a bit more $$ I thought. The cruise that I have booked just happens to be just perfect dates for us. Leaving Dec 20 on the Emerald which I think is almost identical to the Ruby that you will be on. It appealed also because of the the mini-golf and golf simulator a few other things that should appeal to my kids.

For the all-inclusives we've done, I have always booked those through our travel agent........just in case something went wrong I had someone to fall back on and help. They always turned out great, but yes, can be pricey but if you havn't done one, you should try it some time. Maybe just for a week. However, with being able to fly to the cruiseports within a couple of hours that's a huge bonus. I think we have to stop over in Minneappolis on our way to Ft. Lauderdale so will end up being about 10 hours I'm sure. Whereas Mexico is about a 4 hour direct flight for us. It's those darn flights that are so ridiculously expensive!!

We have some time yet to decide and our cabins are booked for the time being. I also would really like to get the Sawgrass Mills Mall in Ft. Lauderdale for some shopping.....it looks wonderful!!

Mindy - You're right...those Royal Caribbean ships are expensive. That's why we decided to do the Ruby. We've sailed the Caribbean Princess and had a great time. It will also be nice for a change and fun to sail on a brand new ship.

I wish the airfare wasn't so expensive. For us to fly to Mexico in Feb. from Boston would be over $500 a person. I can usually get to Florida for about $200-$250 RT. With 5 tickets that's a lot of money.

I have priced the Beaches resorts in Jamaica and the Turks. But these, too, are over $2000 more than a cruise.

Luckily, we all love cruising so I guess that's what we'll be sticking with for now.

Have a great time! Sounds like this will be a Christmas cruise. I bet the ship will be beautiful. What a wonderful way to spend the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

for my family of FIVE [kids 9,7,5 currently].

I saw the MCL deal but have some concerns there. And Costa is so mixed. I'd like a good cruise line overall for families. Any links to travel agencies? When you say call around, who do I call? Thanks so much.

I posted how to cruise with family of 5 for $3k and the posters all said basically 'couldn't be done'. But sounds like some of you are getting this....

I've never cruised before. I did plan and pay for my parents' Celebrity cruise for their 40th thanks to this board [they LOVED it by the way].

I've been reading through the 'family cruising' forum.

Thanks so much!! Early April 2009, Summer or Xmas break [end of Dec-early Jan]. I would like Caribbean and leaving from somewhere US so we could get cheaper airfare or even drive if needed.

I will probably book my own excursions to save $$ and to avoid crowds.

Trish

:o

In August, we are taking our second family cruise: $5500 for 10 adults and 2 babies (19 mos and 9 mos)...all outside cabins. Average cost is only $550 each for a 7 day cruise. I did not think that was too bad as some of the prices I looked at were much higher. One of the TA's I have used in the past had a special going on with a $50 booking deposit, and this allowed us to hold the cruise and gradually pay the remainder of the deposits and balance. And, because we have booked with them in the past - they are throwing in $100 OBC for me and my DH, plus 1 formal family portrait.

Before we found this deal, we looked at 5 day cruises because it was more to our budget, but when the 7 day opened up at a lower rate, we just had to jump on it.

Just research your cruises, call several agencies, call the cruiseline direct, and have your deposit ready. This way when you do find the right cruise for the right price, you will be able to book it on the spot. Don't forget to go back and periodically check your cruise for rate reductions too! You can usually get a refund on the difference if the rate goes down.

Happy cruise hunting!

booked for 15 seven night cruise out of mia in april. the price with air was 13 thousand. air and cruise was done last june. we will have plent of happy memories. fuel sir charge of 385 was included.

bia

It has been my experience these three items play the most important roles. In 2001 a party of six took the Alaska Cruise on Holland America and got free round trip airfare from California to Vancouver and back from Anchorage. Great Deal.

I am currently searching for a Mexico 7 day cruise Aug or Sept. $899 per person in Aug, $499 in Sept.

Leaving May 18 on Holland America to Alaska on a Back to Back cruise. Cruise fare for the 14 days is $3,200 for 4 people. This ended up being cheaper than the 7 day because the 3rd and 4th passengers are going free.

On regular cruises (Mexico, Caribean) I get the cheapest inside rooms. I get the balcony rooms for the Panama Canal and Alaska.

You can save a bunch of money if you go in the off season, settle for lesser rooms, and shop for a few months before you actually book. Of course, air fair if added to your cost boosts total cost, but I treat them separately.

• 10 months later...

I know what you mean. I wanted to avoid summer for a European cruise because of the heat and expense. Eventually, I have found a reasonably priced cruise that falls on the dates my kids have a one week school holiday.

But I have checked so many different options and places - I found some of the best deals through one of the sponsors of this site. Check them all if you can - they all seem to vary in price and some give better deals for one cruiseline than they do for another.

Also, do check the prices for 2 rooms and one room. On some searches I was getting a better deal if we shared a room and on some, we were better off with two seperate rooms.

With regards to the poster who mentioned smoking on MSC -I agree, Europeans generally smoke far too much everywhere. But smoking in public areas, restaurants etc has now been banned in many European countries, so I wonder if lines like MSC will follow suit?

The internet is your friend. Just keep looking until you find something.

We NEVER, EVER pay more than $2000 for our family of 4 to cruise for 7 days. And, it's not just the kids free lines we travel on. We've done Costa, MSC, Carnival, NCL, Princess, and RCCL for that price.

Happy bargain hunting!

CeleBrat

NCL seems to have the most reasonable 3rd and 4th passenger rates (about $199) With a family of four, though, I highly recommend getting connecting rooms- even if they are insides. You will have two bathrooms, more space, more storage space and two tvs. For what you might pay for a balcony cabin with four people jammed in- I can attest to connecting rooms.

Moms in particular don't feel that they have had much of a break when they are constantly having to tidy up the small stateroom- belongings everywhere. Plus, you have the opportunity to watch something other than cartoons.

You can easily do a 7 night cruise for $ 650 per person. So that is $ 2600 if you get connecting rooms. Airfare from Chicago to NY is probably cheaper than airfare to Florida. I am doing Carribbean Princess out of NYC in an inside for $ 1400 including taxes (two people) in August.

We have a family of 5, and just booked a cruise on the Carnival Dream for January and got 2 inside rooms for @ $2200. We could have gotten the ocean view connecting, but it was $500 more and I figured we'd use that on the ship having fun.

good luck with your search, there are deals out there, just be patient and search often. :)

Try off season. We just booked the Carnival Glory for August 29th for the 4 of us for $2100 for balcony cabin, we could have gotten an inside for $1500. Thats a steal for 4 people! Starting end of August through Feb you will find cheaper cruises. Spring break and Summer are the busy times so higher prices.

Watch for deals by the cruiselines for discounts on passengers 3-8 in a cabin (although I have YET to find ANY cabin that can accomodate 10 people :confused:).

NCL is currently running $99 fares on almost every cruise in 2009 for the 3rd-8th passengers in the same cabin.

It also helps to book a balcony and then an inside cabin directly accross the hall.

Bring your own soda on board to cut down on soda card expenses if your family likes pop.

Heather -like Mindy, I also love the Barcelo Maya resort complex. We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial last year. And I must admit, I'm also carefully comparing the price of the cruise to going back. Booking about 3 months out seems to get you the best deals on all inclusives. We got 40% off the Barcelo using Orbitz.

when we were booking for us for Jan 2009, we looked at 5 nights and 7 nights. The 5 of us shared an inside cabin on carnival twice (not a problem at all and this is even according to a 14 YO who is annoyed by her family-LOL) for 5 nights for $1400 (inc all except tips). The same week, it would have been about $2400 for the 5 of us. I just could not warrant $1000 for 2 extra nights. So we still took a 7-night trip, but toured some in Jax (the zoo is great)! I do like 7 day cruises, but not for an extra $1000. Also since we traveled in Jan it was cheaper (actually saw this same cruise for $1000 for 5 in Sept 2009). We go a week where they have a holiday and 2 teacher work days (and they had a snow day after all) so they would only miss 2 days at most. With high school, it would be too hard for her to miss more than 2 days.

We are expecting twins in the summer and already have one dd. We lose to cruise!! We are wondering what lines will offer the best deals for 5 in a cabin or are we better off booking 2 rooms. Any advice would help. We prefer to sail out of NYC in Feb and August.

Thanx.

We made that exact transition from our last two cruises (just DH and I) to our upcoming cruise (bringing our two kids). Here's what we did...

- plan FAAAAAAAAAR ahead. We booked last year at this time for our 11/09 sailing. More time to save $$.

-start a change jar, only pay for things in cash and with paper money. I've got about $900 saved just from doing that, starting last summer.

- try to earmark all tax refunds and windfalls (work bonuses, etc.) for the trip.

- clip coupons and put all your savings, rounded to the nearest dollar, in the change jar.

- let family know that you'd prefer $ towards your trip for birthdays and holidays.

- go for the OV versus the balcony (I don't know that I'm brave enough to attempt an inside with 2 adults and 2 kids). We have 2 OV's (connecting) for $529 per person right now for a 7 day Glory sailing.

- keep your eyes peeled for price drops on your sailing and call to get your balance adjusted or OBC.

- buy cruise-necessary items a few at a time, and use eBay for things like formal and dinner outfits for the kids.

- buy warm weather clothing on clearance after the season before. And keep them hidden until the trip to keep them nice.

- book excursions privately, not through the ship. Or take advantage of ports with nice beaches and cab it there.

- plan on booking the sailing on off-peak times, which may mean taking the kids out of school for a week. I'm convinced it's worth it, personally.

- find a hotel in the port for pre-cruise stay that has fun and cheap/free things to do the day/night before the cruise. also scout out lower priced eating options that may be near by (McDonald's for a quick breakfast vs. the $15 per plate crappy buffet in the hotel).

-start tracking airfares as soon as you have your sailing date picked. I started tracking the week we need when we booked our sailing and have data for a whole year. there are also websites that do this (farecast.com) but only have data for larger airports. Be sure to figure in things like baggage fees and such that may be tacked on to the fare that you see quoted (that magically gets upped about $50 when you click on "buy"). also search airport options to see if renting a car or taking a shuttle to a nearby airport may make the difference in airfare substantial.

-look for hotels that have "park and fly" packages at your home airport so you don't have to pay for parking and can catch their shuttle to grab an early flight.

I think that's it. I'll add more if I think of any. :)

Archived