Photo of quad cabin with upper berths down?

Micheller

Does anybody have a photo of an outside quad cabin on one of the Sun class ships with the upper berths down? I would like to see how much space there is and where the ladder might go etc. I've tried to find this information on the website but I can only find pictures of the cabin without the upper berths.

No pictures but with the uppers down the ladders hook near the bottom of the bed so if you're using both ladders then they are basically criss crossing right between all the beds. We just would use the one ladder with the kids and they had fun climbing up. It doesn't take up any more space in the room (other than head room over the lowers) as the uppers are right over top of the lowers. We thought a very usable arrangement.(This was an inside on the Caribbean Princess)

Micheller -

Quads on the Sun class are entirely different then quads on Grand/Caribbean class. The Grand class does it differently (and better).

I found a picture of a balcony quad room on P&O's website of the former Sea Princess and Ocean Princess (same as Sun and Dawn Princess).

Click on this link:

http://www.pocruises.com/ships/adoniaMicrosite/home.htm

Next on the left hand side - click on "Arcadia" formerly Sea Princess or "Oceana" former Ocean Princess. Then click on "Cabins" at the top and then under "Select a Cabin" select Family cabin (this is what they call it on P&O). You will now have a panaromic view. There appears to be a sitting area (one bed) and the other 3 cabins fold out from the wall.

Hulagirl from this board was on the Sun Princess in a triple or quad room- I will send her an email and see if she can respond to this thread.

-Theresa

Hi Michelle,

We sailed on the Sun Princess in 1999 in a quad balcony cabin with myself, husband and daughter. These cabins are totally different than any other cabins on the newer ships. Only Sun, Dawn, Sea and Ocean have these and I truly think they were the biggest design flaw ever done. These cabins have absolutely no real beds. All the beds, both lower and upper fold out of the wall. When we walked into the room I thought there was a mistake and that we were put in a closet. Only thing in the room was this very narrow couch type thing and that was it. We looked at each other and wondered where in the world we were going to sleep. The room is very narrow and when the pullman beds are pulled out of the walls, it makes for a very narrow passage way. This also makes for storage of suitcases almost non-existent. We had to use the couch area to put our suitcases on. Put 2 under it, but the other one and carryons had to sit on top. With there being only one chair in the room (no place or room for any others except for the 2 plastic ones on the balcony) you basically have no place to sit. Have read another poster once saying they had the cabin steward leave a bed down, but that still leaves you so little room. We tried to eat breakfast once on the balcony, but didn't venture there again. I had to sit half way in the cabin and it just didn't work.

I know people love the Sun Princess, but they must have been in just double cabins with beds. We will never sail on this ship again unless it would be in a mini suite for the 3 of us. It had to be the most uncomfortable 11 days I have ever spent on a ship. We now pick the newer ships since all their cabins are basically the same. We have noticed they haven't done these crazy cabins again. Wish we had a picture to post for you, but I had no desire to ever see that cabin again.

Sorry to not give you any positive information, but that is how the cabin is arranged. Book a mini if at all possible. You will be much, much happier. We went to the pursers desk that first day and would have paid anything to have been moved, but the ship was full.

Good luck,

Hulagirl

Thanks for your info Hulagirl.

There are four of us and I know a mini-suite only takes three so that will be no use to us unfortunately! You did say that you had a cabin with a balcony. I wonder whether they are different to the cabin we have which is just an outside one on the Plaza deck? I always thought that the two lower beds were normal ones and did not come out the wall. We will have a storage problem if this is not the case!

On every ship we have been on, the two lower beds were normal except for the Sun Princess and her sister ships. It is disappointing to me since these ships have such great itineraries. I even talked to a future cruise person on our next cruise, which was the Grand in 2000, and she told me that all these ships have these types of room configutrations in the Sun Class. Wish I could help you with the room on the Plaza deck. We did stay in the balcony cabin which was a B category room. Even the brochures don't tell you about these rooms, so those won't help either.

I cringe when I read posts saying that all the rooms on these ships are the same when they aren't. With 4 in the cabin, if configured like this, you will have very little storage. We could put 2 suitcases under that couch thing and that was it. When they unfold these beds out of the wall, they basically take up the whole room except at the very end where the desk is.

Had no idea the mini suites only slept 3. That is too bad. Like I said, we will never sail in a room like that again. Truly clouded our trip. The rest of the ship was fine, but not fine enough for this.

Susan

Our quad on the Dawn Princess last year was very nice. Outside cabin (no balcony) had two beds that came down out of the ceiling. Our steward stowed the beds each day until we requested that they be left down permanently because the kids enjoyed sitting up on their beds when we were in the cabin.

Just returned from a quad mini-suite on the Coral Princess. It was beautiful; our couch made into the third bed and the fourth bed came down out of the ceiling. Will definitely book a mini-suite in the future.

Can I add my own confusion here? We are booked on the Dawn next month. We are in what would probably be considered "steerage" -- Plaza Deck, inside room P310. I am traveling with Hubster and 4yo son. (This is my first time in an inside -- definitely going to bring a nightlight! By the time we booked there were no outsides left, but we're in the room so seldom that it doesn't matter to us if we have a window....)

When I booked, I specifically made sure that our lower beds could be made up into a queen, and I was assured that they could. When I looked on the personalizer, it said "non-converting twins" -- I immediately freaked out and called them up. I was assured that the beds do indeed convert, but b/c we are booked as a triple, they can't OFFER it that way for safety reasons (if someone in the upper falls out, they would land on the poor sap in the queen below). I was told all we have to do is ask our steward to make it up that way for us when we board, and they will be happy to accommodate us. (To be honest, with my son only being 4yo, I PREFER to have him land on me rather than on the hard floor! But even at 3yo last year on Celebrity's Horizon he never fell out....)

So now I see this thread and read that the beds are ALL pull-outs? Or is that JUST for balcony rooms? :confused: The Princess site definitely says my room is an inside w/ two beds that can be put into a queen configuration. Anyone know?

I'm also curious if anyone can give any insight into the two different "shapes" of rooms.... I attached the deckplan for the Plaza Deck on the Dawn. My room, P310, is more of a "square" shape and the ones in the "middle" of the ship (like P314 right "behind" ours) is more of a long/narrow shape. The diagrams and pictures that they show for all the different categories are all identical, regardless of which category you choose -- balconies, mini-suites, etc., are all different of course, but EVERY category of inside room shows the EXACT same picture with the same people sitting on the bed and the same virtual tour and the same diagram.

Anyone looking at the rooms can tell that one type is shorter/fatter and one is longer/skinnier, so they OBVIOUSLY don't have the same configurations! Is my square-shaped room like the one in the Virtual Tour (where the heads of the beds are against the far wall from the door, and the poor sap sitting at the desk gets beaned by the bathroom door?) or like the Diagram picture, where the desk is in the corner on the wall farthest from the door, and the beds are at a 90-degree angle to the door along the shower wall?

If anyone's familiar with the two different room types, I'd appreciate any insight you can offer!

1053943425_P310insidestateroom-h.jpg.a96e4db0d11a970502302f052ece2f04.jpg

Brillohead: I wish I could tell you one way or the other. We were on Baja deck with a balcony cabin. My TA, at the time, told me the beds would be in a Queen configuration with one bed folding out from the wall. Yes, all the pictures show the same room, but they aren't all the same. I just know the balcony ones for triples and quads don't have the regular beds, just fold out of the wall type. When I asked the future cruise person about this, she said those 4 ships were all configured that way for that type of cabin. Now I didn't ask her about inside cabins though and they may be different. My new TA at the time called Princess when we returned since we were ready to cancel our trip on the Grand. I just couldn't live with that type of cabin again. Found out that the Grand Class ships (and the new ones) don't have these types of rooms anymore.

Hopefully the Plaza deck will be normal rooms. Really and truly I do hope for you. I wish I had the picture this other poster posted a year or more ago. It showed the beds all folding out and how miserable they were. Let's just hope the inside rooms are different. Since there are so few balcony's that can accomodate 3 or 4, I have a feeling these are the only rooms like this. We met another couple on the cruise with an inside for 3 and they didn't say anything about their room being like this. I just stay away from these ships, but maybe someday I will book a mini suite. At least those are very nice rooms.

Do have a great cruise. I'm sure you will be fine.

Hulagirl

Thanks for your info Hulagirl.

There are four of us and I know a mini-suite only takes three so that will be no use to us unfortunately! You did say that you had a cabin with a balcony. I wonder whether they are different to the cabin we have which is just an outside one on the Plaza deck? I always thought that the two lower beds were normal ones and did not come out the wall. We will have a storage problem if this is not the case!

Double check w/your TA......some of the mini-suites do in fact accomodate 4 people!! :)

Here's a different take on the Sun - we had 4 in a balcony cabin (2 adults, 2 kids)- so had the couch, a fold down bed and two from the ceiling. We were also traveling with my in-laws, who had a regular inside cabin - queen size bed. We loved the cofiguration of the balcony cabin. We enjoyed having the couch to relax on during the day, it seemed more like a living room than a bedroom. Then, at night with the other 3 beds down it became the bedroom.

Well when I booked an outside on Emerald on the Dawn I had no clue that it wasn't going to look like the cabin on Princess.com. There are only 2 of us in the cabin and the configuration that I see from the P.&O. website just doesn't look as "comfortable." Unfortunately I can't do anything about it now, (we sail a week from today.) I just feel it's unfair to show the picture they do, since there are apparently many of these such cabins there should be a "true" representation on their website.

Well when I booked an outside on Emerald on the Dawn I had no clue that it wasn't going to look like the cabin on Princess.com. There are only 2 of us in the cabin and the configuration that I see from the P.&O. website just doesn't look as "comfortable." Unfortunately I can't do anything about it now, (we sail a week from today.) I just feel it's unfair to show the picture they do, since there are apparently many of these such cabins there should be a "true" representation on their website.

Hi - I think the issue here is quad cabins. If your cabin is for just 2 people - I think you will be fine.

:confused: I understand what you are saying but the deck plan shows all of the outside staterooms on Emerald deck being able "to accomodate a 3rd or 4th person", so I'm thinking they are probably all set up that way!

:confused:

Lady L: No, the Grand does not have this configuration at all. This is why we will only sail on the Grand class ships. The Diamond/Sapphire and the Coral/Island are all the same as the Grand too. Only Sun, Dawn, Sea, and Ocean have this configuration for quad balcony rooms.

Pgintct: I looked at the deck for the Dawn and those are all outside rooms and not balcony rooms. You very well could have a normal room. I know all the double only rooms with balcony's are normal and you may very well have the same. This is a very frustrating point. Unless you have actually sailed in one of these rooms, it is hard to know how they are configured. Have read other people say they are all the same, but they obviouslyl haven't sailed in a closet room either.

I read that another poster liked the room. Truly, this is the only time I've read this. These ships do some wonderful itineraries and I would love to go on them, but we would definitely have to book a mini suite to do this.

I'm sorry if I've scared some of you. I just know about the balcony cabins and not the ocean view or the inside quads. They very well could be fine and I hope they are.

Hulagirl

Archived