Things to do at the Cruise Port in Tampa?

My Mom and I will be sailing on the Carnival Legend May 18th. We will be flying into Tampa in the morning. Just wondering if there is anything to do directly in the port as I don't want to wait in line to board the ship? I'd rather wait a little as I don't want my Mom standing in line for a long period of time (she's a "nice" senior) Is there any place to put your luggage?:confused:

They may let you check your luggage early. You don't say how early you will be there. In the same building where you check in there is a travel facility where you can rent a car or book your airport transfer. You can store your luggage there. I think the charge was $4. (We didn't need to use it).

The Aquarium is right across the street. I would recommend that if it is open when you are there. Channelside shopping and nightclub/dining area is right there also but we found it to be more of a night time attraction.

You can ride the trolley over to Ybor City. We paid $4 for an all day pass (I forget what a simple round trip would cost). There are stores and restaurants there to browse through. Again, it is more of a nighttime/bar area but there are some shops.

I've been in that area many many times, and the info from buddyjo is 100% right on target. There are enough opportunities around to definitely keep you from getting bored right before your embarkation (as if that would be possible anyway). Enjoy your cruise!! :) :)

The problem is that you're sailing on Sunday. It's pretty quiet in Channelside and Ybor City on Sunday morning. They'll check you in around 11:00 or so, and then you'll board around noon. Then you can enjoy your time on the ship. Before that, there's not much to keep you entertained. You can certainly go into Channelside and go upstairs and look at the ship. Bennigan's and Margarita Mama's (which might close sometime soon) won't be open yet, so you can go over to the outside bar area and stand at the railing and watch the stevedores unload the luggage from the previous cruisers. There are tables and chairs all around Channelside, so you can enjoy the quiet there, but you won't have anything open to serve breakfast. Now there IS a Joffrey's right at the corner where you'll drop your luggage off, so you can get your coffee and scone (or whatever you'd like to eat) and either sit and watch people disembark and grab taxis and buses, or you can take your breakfast into Channelside and sit in quiet comfort and look at the ship.

Thanks for the information...We arrive in Tampa at 9:30am and by the time we get luggage, etc. I suspect we will be at the port by 11:00am. Is this too early? Will there be a long line? I'm more worried about my Mom standing around. I was actually thinking of wasting time at the airport???:)

The problem is that you're sailing on Sunday. It's pretty quiet in Channelside and Ybor City on Sunday morning. They'll check you in around 11:00 or so, and then you'll board around noon. Then you can enjoy your time on the ship. Before that, there's not much to keep you entertained. You can certainly go into Channelside and go upstairs and look at the ship. Bennigan's and Margarita Mama's (which might close sometime soon) won't be open yet, so you can go over to the outside bar area and stand at the railing and watch the stevedores unload the luggage from the previous cruisers. There are tables and chairs all around Channelside, so you can enjoy the quiet there, but you won't have anything open to serve breakfast. Now there IS a Joffrey's right at the corner where you'll drop your luggage off, so you can get your coffee and scone (or whatever you'd like to eat) and either sit and watch people disembark and grab taxis and buses, or you can take your breakfast into Channelside and sit in quiet comfort and look at the ship.

Sounds like you live in Tampa? Looking at the Channelside webcam, it appears they built a couple of big condos down there since Spring of 2006. Those things weren't blocking my view of the Miracle back then.;)

Thanks for the information...We arrive in Tampa at 9:30am and by the time we get luggage, etc. I suspect we will be at the port by 11:00am. Is this too early? Will there be a long line? I'm more worried about my Mom standing around. I was actually thinking of wasting time at the airport???:)

No 11 is not too early! They take your luggage outside then you go into the terminal, check in and get a boarding group number. You can sit and relax while waiting for them to call your group. You should be one of the first groups to board.

My Mom and I will be sailing on the Carnival Legend May 18th. We will be flying into Tampa in the morning. Just wondering if there is anything to do directly in the port as I don't want to wait in line to board the ship? I'd rather wait a little as I don't want my Mom standing in line for a long period of time (she's a "nice" senior) Is there any place to put your luggage?:confused:

We will be sailing with you May 18th!!!

Join our Roll Call!! <--LEGEND from Tampa, May 18, 2008 JOIN US!

Sounds like you live in Tampa? Looking at the Channelside webcam, it appears they built a couple of big condos down there since Spring of 2006. Those things weren't blocking my view of the Miracle back then.;)

Those condos are empty and remain unfinished. The builder ran out of money and with the housing market being the way it is, people who originally bought units have dropped out. So, they remain useless obstacles in the way of viewing our ships. I wish they would move the webcam to Channelside. We could have a great view of the ships like Galveston has for the Conquest.

For now, I'm forced to go to Bennigan's at Channelside to watch my ships sail. On beautiful days like we've been having lately, it's not that bad of a deal.

No 11 is not too early! They take your luggage outside then you go into the terminal, check in and get a boarding group number. You can sit and relax while waiting for them to call your group. You should be one of the first groups to board.

Elaine's advice is right on target. The waiting area is very comfortable and you get to people watch while you wait.

Those condos are empty and remain unfinished. The builder ran out of money and with the housing market being the way it is, people who originally bought units have dropped out. So, they remain useless obstacles in the way of viewing our ships. I wish they would move the webcam to Channelside. We could have a great view of the ships like Galveston has for the Conquest.

Man, that bites. What an eyesore.

For now, I'm forced to go to Bennigan's at Channelside to watch my ships sail. On beautiful days like we've been having lately, it's not that bad of a deal.

We had suite 6189 on the Miracle in 2006, Starboard side. It was fun waving to everyone at Bennigan's as we pulled away from the pier. We have the same suite on the Legend in a couple weeks. We'll get to do it all over again. ;)

In '06 we walked to Bennagin's from the Hampton Inn - Ybor City for dinner. Kind of a hike, but we needed the exercise. :D

11:00 is right on time to get in line and board the ship and porters will be there to accept your luggage when you get out of the cab. If your mom has trouble walking or standing, look for one of the Carnival employees inside the building and ask them for wheelchair assistance. They provide Carnival wheelchairs and people to push your mom onto the ship. Don't dilly around at the airport, get down to the port and enjoy the scenery!

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information. Sounds like going from the airport directly to the port is a good idea. I just don't want my Mom to get overtired too soon. My Mom is a new Widow (lost my Dad in December) and this trip is the only things she is looking forward to. From everything I've read about Carnival Ships...this will be a very memorable cruise for her. Thanks so much!!!:) :) :)

I am so sorry for your mom's (and your) loss. What a lovely idea to take her on a cruise. You are a truly caring child for doing so. I took my dad on several cruises after my mom died to give him things to look forward to also. He has been gone for a year now, but I treasure the memories that we made together after she was gone. You picked a great ship with a wonderful itinerary. Of all the ports I have been through, Tampa was the easiest for embarkation and debarkation (and I had the same concerns for my father that you do for your mother). Enjoy your cruise!

Archived