First time cruisers with specific questions...

My wife and I (early 30s) and daughter (13 mos.) are on the Volendam on March 22nd. It's a family affair (my grandparents are taking the family) and we've never cruised before. They're a little uptight (gotta love em though) and we're probably a little too laid back (especially with the baby now - though she's fabulous at adapting to anything so far). Thanks in advance for everyone's insight. So here are our questions -

1. Dress in the dining room on formal nights - can I get away with a nice linen suit or do I really need a darker jacket? Or better yet - could I get away with a shirt, tie and slacks with no jacket at all?

2. Non-formal nights - is there a dress code on these or standards? And what about just being out and about on the ship at night time?

3. Has anyone used in-room babysitting? We thought we might be more likely to use it night when Gabriella is asleep than during the day, but not sure.

4. Excursions - has anyone done anything with a baby? We're wondering what to do about not having a car seat with us? We're guessing that many of those countries might not have as stringent laws about that. Obviously we're going to limit it as much as possible because we know the value of a seat, but don't want to limit ourselves to doing nothing either.

5. I've seen posts about people just renting cabanas on the beaches in port. Is that something we can do when we get there or need to do ahead of time?

6. Internet service? - is there service available and how expensive is it?

7. Eating - Gabby eats whenever she is hungry, which means our meals can be at all sorts of times some days. Can you really eat at any time of the day at various places? I know I read there's a nice restaurant which includes a charge, but everything else is free?

That's it for now - again thanks to all you seasoned regulars out there for your advice. I'll return the favor if you ever want to know about cross-country and Alaskan road trips!

Welcome to HAL. Your grandparents are very generous - enjoy their company while you can! This may require a little adapting on your part. I can't answer all of your questions, and even where I do, others may disagree, but I've interpolated some responses below.

My wife and I (early 30s) and daughter (13 mos.) are on the Volendam on March 22nd. It's a family affair (my grandparents are taking the family) and we've never cruised before. They're a little uptight (gotta love em though) and we're probably a little too laid back (especially with the baby now - though she's fabulous at adapting to anything so far). Thanks in advance for everyone's insight. So here are our questions -

1. Dress in the dining room on formal nights - can I get away with a nice linen suit or do I really need a darker jacket? Or better yet - could I get away with a shirt, tie and slacks with no jacket at all?

This is a perennial topic of discussion here on the CC HAL board. Opinions vary - and the degree of formality varies with itinerary and cruise length. But IMHO, if you want to eat in the dining room, or be in the main public venues, on formal nights, you really ought to wear a dark suit and tie. If you don't want to dress up, you can always eat dinner in the Lido, which has most of the same menu and is semi-buffet style at dinner (entrees are brought to the table; everything else is buffet), and has a casual dress code.

2. Non-formal nights - is there a dress code on these or standards? And what about just being out and about on the ship at night time?

The dress code on other than formal nights is "smart casual" - think chinos or dressy jeans and a collared shirt (e.g., polo or aloha) for men; skirt or nice slacks and blouse or pretty sweater for women. When "out and about" on the ship in the evening, you are supposed to adhere to the evening's dress code in the main public venues, but it is fine to be on the Lido deck or outdoors in casual clothes.

3. Has anyone used in-room babysitting? We thought we might be more likely to use it night when Gabriella is asleep than during the day, but not sure.

Can't address this from personal experience. From what I've read, there's no guarantee it will be available; depends if anyone on staff wants to pick up some extra $$ (and there will be a charge for it). You may end up taking turns with family members to watch the baby at night. There are DVD players in the cabins, so you can watch a movie.

4. Excursions - has anyone done anything with a baby? We're wondering what to do about not having a car seat with us? We're guessing that many of those countries might not have as stringent laws about that. Obviously we're going to limit it as much as possible because we know the value of a seat, but don't want to limit ourselves to doing nothing either.

Why not just bring your car seat? I know it's a pain, but I would not take a child in a car without one.

5. I've seen posts about people just renting cabanas on the beaches in port. Is that something we can do when we get there or need to do ahead of time?

If you're referring to cabanas on Half Moon Cay (HAL's private island), you need to rent them ahead of time. There are not very many, and they go fast once shore excursions for a particular cruise become available. Clamshell sunshades are much more plentiful, and much cheaper. If you have a large family group and your grandparents are feeling flush, you might want to check out the Grand Cabana on HMC. Info on HAL's website or in the Private Islands board on CC. As far as cabanas elsewhere, I have no information.

6. Internet service? - is there service available and how expensive is it?

Yes, but may be slow (or very slow), and is expensive. $3.95 to sign up, and then 75 cents per minute, or less if you buy a package. Can be used with your own laptop via WiFi, or on the ship's computers in the Explorations Cafe.

7. Eating - Gabby eats whenever she is hungry, which means our meals can be at all sorts of times some days. Can you really eat at any time of the day at various places? I know I read there's a nice restaurant which includes a charge, but everything else is free?

Yup. All food is free except at the Pinnacle Grill (the "nice restaurant"), including room service, which is available with a limited menu 24/7, and a broader menu during most of the day. The Lido is open for buffet breakfast and lunch for pretty extended hours; there is a grill by the pool that's open from late morning until just before dinner; and the dining room is open for breakfast and dinner, and sometimes for lunch (sometimes not, especially on port days). Neither you nor your baby will have any problem finding food!

That's it for now - again thanks to all you seasoned regulars out there for your advice. I'll return the favor if you ever want to know about cross-country and Alaskan road trips!

"Get away with..."? :confused:

The dress code on formal nights for men is jacket and tie required, tux or dark suit suggested.

So, your linen suit will meet the minimal acceptable level of dress. "...shirt, tie, and slacks with no jacket at all" will not.

Knsas Little one; You will LOVE cruising -and, although it has been MANY YEARS since my kids were babies- on a recent cruise we saw a family with a toddler and they had one of those fold-away child-carriers with wheels that they used ALL the time both on the ship and off. The child was perfectly comfortable in her stroller and could "see" what was going on happily. I would guess this child was around 2 years. I KNOW they brought the stroller WITH them because we saw them later WITH it at the hotel! Hope this helps!

Anne

I knew the moment I saw the words, "get away with", that someone would be offended or,.... maybe just confused.

These sound like nice folks looking to know what is, and what is not acceptable. Perhaps they have no idea whatsoever as to what constitutes true 'formal wear'. I had no clue that certain dress-up outfits were not considered 'formal' until I started reading these boards.

"Get away with", is maybe just another way of saying, "will I be totally out of place?"....not "how can I be a sneak and do the barest of minimums?" as though they are scheming a way to avoid following the dress code.

Some people really don't know all the conventions, until they start asking. Isn't that what (among other things) that these boards are about?

How exciting to be doing this cruise with your 13 month old and your parents. We cruised with my 20 month old great niece and found everyone onboard to be very accommodating with a child of that age. There are many fruit soups that are great for an appetizer and the dining room staff will make sure that ALL of you are happy. Sometimes the youngest need something to eat while others are making their selections and I found that after a couple of nights Savanna's "appetizers" were waiting on the table when we arrived. It was somewhat like the cappucino that was always brought to me before dessert.

We took a car seat with us for excursions and also brought a life vest that was appropriate for her size and weight.

Babysitting was never a problem on our cruise but that may be different from ship to ship.

You are going to have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cherie

Thanks Jo-Bob for your comments. Yes we are just nice folks trying to make sure we are not out of place, but also within our comfort zone. I certainly didn't mean to offend. We do know what "formal wear" is officially, but I also know that it's simply recommended and might not even be the norm these days.

"Getting away with" is probably a bad choice of words, but the truth is I have no desire to dress up formally on my vacation (I do this everyday already), but also don't feel I should miss out on anything (like a nice sit-down dinner each evening).

So I figured it would just be easiest to ask what the standard is - not what people necessarily feel it should be - because I'm sure there are plenty of others to debate that for both sides. This way we won't offend anyone if we're a little under-dressed and won't feel out of place. At the same time if everyone actually wears a tux, than I'm sure we'd either buck up and do it too or just not go to formal dinners (the more likely choice).

Guess now I'm a little concerned that some people will hold our baby to some type of dress code outside of her standard onesie?

Kansas - I don't know your itinerary, but I'm guessing you're flying to the port. I think, but don't know for sure, that airlines allow you to bring your stroller into the cabin of the plane & it doesn't count as your hand baggage. Also, if Gabby has a seat on the plane, you'll likely be wanting to buckle her into her carseat. Why don't you check with your airline?

Food is available 24/7 & is all-included, with the exception of the Pinnacle. I'm guessing you won't want to take a toddler there, unless you have a sitter so you can enjoy a "grown-up" experience. Can't comment on sitters. As vbmom suggested, try the family board, here on CC.

Also, go over to the HAL site to look at shore excursions. You can actually pre-book (& pay). hollandamerica.com (site is down right now) :(

Re: internet access. John & I don't purchase time onboard ship, but then we aren't in need of constant contact back home, either. We usually find an i-cafe within walking distance of the ship to log into our e-mail accounts & send a couple of messages home to family & friends (or work, if needed :p ). I think we usually spend $5-$6 & get 20min.

On formal night, you really should wear a coat & tie. That's the minimum the dress code calls for. There are a number of us on this message board (& onboard the ship) that really enjoy putting on the dog & going all out. But in your linen suit, especially in the Caribbean, you won't be turned away at the dining room door. And although the guidelines that you find on HAL's website & in the Know Before you Go booklet that you get with your documents, state that you should remain dressed in the code all evening, in reality, you'll see that some folks have changed after dinner.

Welcome to CC & have a fantastic cruise. Hope it's the first of many. And ask away! :)

I have 3 kids and only one may have been fine throughout a cruise dinner at that age. Depends on your child but these dinners tend to last 90 minutes to a couple hours. Young kids, unless they sleep in a stroller (no room though), don't do well at these. I would consider a babysitter durring dinner. The buffet at lunch would be fine and HAL did have a great Bfast rm service.

Nightlife on HAL is not worth getting a babysitter for. I know I will get comments on this but HAL tends to get real quiet after 10 P.M.

Car Seats are fine but believe it or not the airlines don't let you use them if they are not Aircraft Approved ( I tried about 3 years ago and had to check the carseat). Look on the carseat it should say. At 13 months try a baby backpack type carrier, my kids loved them as they could see above the crowds and it made carrying them easy. If you don't have one they are just a backpack frame the kids sit in. Some of the ports may be crowded and the streets are not "stroller Friendly" it would be nice to have a second option.

There is a dress code for dinner but afterward I tend to change back into casual as you are in the tropics and it is warm out. My dress clothes are too hot to wear if I don't have to. The deck at night on those ships is amazing. Best time to be out walking around as few others are.

I'd like to add to O2B@C's discussion of what constitutes smart casual evening dress. Nice/dressy jeans are acceptable as "smart casual" for both men and women. My favorite way to dress is in nice jeans with a dressy top. I only wore my "nice" (blue) jeans on the first night because I didn't feel like changing. Other smart casual nights I did wear slacks or white/beige jeans or khakis because I had packed them, and hauled them 1000 miles to Ft. Lauderdale! :D

You will have a wonderful time on a HAL cruise!!!

Donna

Nightlife on HAL is not worth getting a babysitter for. I know I will get comments on this but HAL tends to get real quiet after 10 P.M.

There is a dress code for dinner but afterward I tend to change back into casual as you are in the tropics and it is warm out. My dress clothes are too hot to wear if I don't have to. The deck at night on those ships is amazing. Best time to be out walking around as few others are.

It depends what one considers nightlife. A nightcap in the Piano Bar, dancing in the disco, some alone time on deck looking at the stars...these all work for me. I don't have kids so cannot judge what babysitting is "worth" to anyone else but I know that I could care less about shows, etc, in the evenings and HAL's options have been fine for us.

Also, the dress code on HAL is for the evening and I have rarely seen people in bars, etc. dressed down after dinner. It is one of the reasons we prefer HAL to the other mass market lines. And I have never seen jeans at dinner personally. DH wears dress slacks and button down shirts on smart casual evenings and I wear dresses/slacks/skirts with heels.

Just a comment on the OP's dress question. This will be my husband and my first HAL cruise, but I can say most people did not dress formally on our other 4. I think it's a fair question and good to know what really happens instead of what's suggested. Then folks can decide. We like to dress up and wore formal clothes on our first cruise and very dressy on 2-4. I will say though that we were surprised by how casual others were. Men in casual slacks and polos; women in casual slacks and a shirt. I think any suit is acceptable for a man, but some push it beyond that. I guess we learned that formal doesn't mean that to everyone and that we've never seen anyone turned away. Dress fancy if you enjoy it and if not, meet the minimum dress code. It does seem that folks say people dress a bit more on HAL.

I only wore my "nice" (blue) jeans on the first night because I didn't feel like changing.

oops, I realized that I should have written

I wore my "nice" (blue) jeans on the first night only....

Big difference in where I placed the word "only" in my post! ;)

Donna

p.s. I should also add that I wear heels when I wear "nice" jeans. I would not think of wearing sneakers, but that's just me. Also, I believe that if a person is in nice/dressy jeans and a nice shirt/blouse or sweater you may not even notice that "that" person is in jeans, not to mention that half of your body is covered by the tablecloth!!! :)

Just a comment on the OP's dress question. This will be my husband and my first HAL cruise, but I can say most people did not dress formally on our other 4. I think it's a fair question and good to know what really happens instead of what's suggested. Then folks can decide. We like to dress up and wore formal clothes on our first cruise and very dressy on 2-4. I will say though that we were surprised by how casual others were. Men in casual slacks and polos; women in casual slacks and a shirt. I think any suit is acceptable for a man, but some push it beyond that. I guess we learned that formal doesn't mean that to everyone and that we've never seen anyone turned away. Dress fancy if you enjoy it and if not, meet the minimum dress code. It does seem that folks say people dress a bit more on HAL.

In 6 HAL cruises I have never seen that and have always noticed how nicely people were dressed even on informal and casual nights. I agree that many other lines are not the same but IME HAL maintains a traditional, elegant and formal ambiance and attracts passengers that appreciate exactly that.

In 6 HAL cruises I have never seen that and have always noticed how nicely people were dressed even on informal and casual nights. I agree that many other lines are not the same but IME HAL maintains a traditional, elegant and formal ambiance and attracts passengers that appreciate exactly that.

I have never seen jeans in the dining room either, even on a casual night, but I have only done 4 HAL cruises.

The dress code says "slacks and dress shirt for men, and skirts or trousers for ladies."

It may be semantics, but I don't consider jeans to be slacks or trousers. But I think you should wear what you consider to be "smart" casual.

Regions of the country can have vastly different interpretations. Here in the south, casual can mean nice slacks, dress shirt and a sports coat. That is not considered "dressed up" where I live. HOwever I lived in Seattle for 7 years and they have a VASTLY different view of casual in Seattle. Shorts, Tshirts, sandals,..I've seen it all there. My husband used to believe that wearing khaki dockers and a polo shirt was "dressed up" - but he grew up in Alaska and was living in Seattle when I met him.

Since we have moved back to Atlanta, he has a different view now of what casual attire is considered here in the south.

We tend to dress as many HAL cruisers do, and that means probably dressier than some, and less dressy than others. He'll be wearing button down dress shirts, nice slacks and a sport coat (tie maybe, maybe not) and I'll be wearing dresses.

We don't change clothes after dinner, we keep the dress code through the evening.

DOn't know if this helps, after all, it's just one more opinion on your post.

Have a great time!

The dress code says "slacks and dress shirt for men, and skirts or trousers for ladies."

Actually, the dress code suggests the recommended wear for formal and smart casual nights. The restrictions do not include jeans (perhaps at one time but not now). Before wearing my "dressy" jeans on the first night (with a dressy top), I did ask my cabin steward if it was ok. I also asked when I entered the dining room and was told that I was dressed perfectly. I was not the only one in jeans but I didn't spend my time at dinner counting the number of people who were dressed in jeans vs. slacks vs. sundresses. We all looked wonderful :D. Please note the words "suggested" and "usually" in the paragraph below from HAL's website.

Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

I think any new cruiser should know the above information, that is, what is suggested and what the restrictions are. As O2B@C mentioned, opinions on this topic vary.... It is good to find out from the boards how people are "usually" dressed but I haven't liked the discussions when some people try to dictate how others "should" dress.

BTW, I do enjoy dressing up on formal nights, and I love cruising with HAL because of it's staff and the services received. It's also good to know that I can wear jeans on "smart-casual" night if I feel like it, I'm comfortable with it and that it is not "restricted" by HAL.

PT

Actually, the dress code suggests the recommended wear for formal and smart casual nights.

Well, yes. That's what civil-speaking people do, they suggest. They don't "order," or command" or in any other way act as if they are imposing their will. They suggest, or recommend. And, as their guest (albeit a paying guest) it is your responsibility to comply with those requests or suggestions.

There are no "dress code police." You won't be tossed in the brig for wearing dungarees. But you will, perhaps, sadden others who try to respect their host's wishes.

You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAL could very easily state what the "required" dress code is instead of the "suggested". They could easily add jeans to their restricted list and they don't.

I do not wear dungarees. There is a difference!!!!!!!

Believe me, there was no one saddened in the nearby vincinity of my dining room table. In fact, many people wanted to join our table throughout my last cruise!!!!!!!!!!

and BTW, my "host" said it was ok. I don't care what you think. :D and I will not continue this conversation with you.

That's exactly what I was getting at - suggested and required are two different things. The speed limit is 55 MPH, that's a requirement - not suggested. And it's enforced. However even with that the "culture" dictates that in some areas 5 MPH over is okay, others 10 MPH, yet others like Detroit or LA 15+ over. Even with requirements people do their own thing.

With all that said - we didn't plan on wearing shorts, tanks, t-shirts, or even tennis shoes, etc. But being specific we were hoping (and planning) on polos and khakis or more dressy for casual nights sounds fine.

On formal nights we're not going to look stupid and not dress up, but just wondered if really a linen suit or slacks with a dress shirt/tie will put us really out of place or if dress runs the gamut from tuxes to polos/khakis, of which we'd be right in the middle. You know the jacket issue is interesting since it almost seems like a formality to get in the door. I could never imagine sitting through a 2-hour dinner with my jacket on, instead it would most likely be hung over my chair and everyone would be seeing me with a shirt/tie which is what I'm wanting to wear anyways.

Maybe another odd question - I'm assuming the ship has A/C on at night & in the dining rooms - otherwise wearing a dress shirt or jacket I might be dripping sweat beads throughout the place - certainly not what people want either...:)

... I'm assuming the ship has A/C on at night & in the dining rooms - otherwise wearing a dress shirt or jacket I might be dripping sweat beads throughout the place - certainly not what people want either...:)

Have no fear! HAL has your interests in mind! The dining room is kept quite cool in the evenings - you may very well find that you actually WANT to keep your jacket on - and I would also suggest that your wife bring a shawl or wrap of some sort if she's planning to wear lightweight shortsleeved tops.

Hi

I agree that a linen suit will work well.

To give your the option, you might pack along a pair of black dress pants, and combine that with the linen jacket and a black necktie (or bowtie) to make a dinner jacket look. That would give you two different outfits, and the black pant will double up with a sport shirt or polo shirt on the casual nite.

HAL also has one semi-formal nite which is sports coats or blazer with no tie. To avoid packing a second jacket for one nite only, mix the linen jacket with khakis, and wear a sport shirt with some color -- like a nice yellow.

The Lido now offers the dining room menu for dinner, with table service. But I hope that even with the littlie, that you won't skip dinner on formal nite. I am guessing that their grandparents would love to see the table filled with the whole family. So bring her along, knowing you might have to excuse yourselves if she gets fussy.

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful, wonderful cruise.

... suggested and required are two different things. ... With all that said - we didn't plan on wearing shorts, tanks, t-shirts, or even tennis shoes, etc. But being specific we were hoping (and planning) on polos and khakis or more dressy for casual nights sounds fine. ... On formal nights we're not going to look stupid and not dress up, but just wondered if really a linen suit or slacks with a dress shirt/tie will put us really out of place or if dress runs the gamut from tuxes to polos/khakis, of which we'd be right in the middle.

My wife and I were on the Westerdam in early Feb for a Western Caribbean itinerary, our 5th cruise, 1st on HAL. We discovered HAL is not consistent with their written dress recommendations. The web site and Know Before You Go are worded as shown in other posts. But after we got on board we were handed a packet which unambiguously stated at formal night, "jacket and tie required"; dark suit or tux were still suggested. The same wording appeared in the ship information notebook in the stateroom.

I'm going to pass on something just for your consideration. We got tired of formal nights on our 4th cruise and decided in advance to not attend them on our HAL cruise.

We had the option of ordering the DR menu for room service, but chose to eat at the Lido casual buffet on both formal nights. We were actually quite impressed. Four of the menu items each night were the same as in the DR and cooked to order. (Did not have the option of the "special" items, though, like lobster, if that's important to you - it was not to us.) Service was excellent to good and we were offered wine, as in the DR. There were tablecloths and candles. In fact, the environment was MUCH more quiet and intimate, which was especially nice the 2nd formal night, which on our cruise was Valentine's Day.

I want to emphasize, this is just FYI and this was not our first cruise. Since this is your first cruise you will probably want to experience at least one formal night in the DR and I encourage you to do so. But if you change your mind or circumstances dictate, in our experience other choices can have their own advantages and charms.

As for wearing a light-colored linen suit, you will be fine. We were not in the DR either formal night but we were in the show lounge both formal nights as well as at the dessert extravaganza after the 2nd formal. While light colors and sport jackets were in the minority, there were still plenty to be seen. And many people changed into more casual garb after dinner. In the show lounge, about 1/3 were dressed informally. That increased to 1/2 if you include formally dressed men who removed their coats and/or ties.

BOTTOM LINE: Don't stress, relax and enjoy!

HAL also has one semi-formal nite which is sports coats or blazer with no tie.

That's no longer true, except for some of the Grand Cruises. The informal night has been done away with for the most part.

The normal breakdown is two formal nights per week; the rest are smart casual.

Archived