Any information about Punta Tombo?

auntdot

Hi Liz,

Yes, the information that Dot got from Monica is pretty accurate. The ride out was a little over 2 hours and hard to say about coming back since we went to the Welsh town when we found that we had extra time to burn. As far as the amount of time in Punta Tomba, that would be so flexible depending on how much time YOU want to spend there. Generally, I think most people get their fill of penguins after about an hour but I really wasn't watching my watch, so just made the walk and knew we were ahead of the bus tours that were getting there just as we were leaving, so it just wasn't an issue. That is something Monica really tends to like to do. Getting there BEFORE the cruise ship tours since it gets crowded and it's just more enjoyable when the place is bordering on empty, vs the masses of people from all the buses.

In our case, we were in port from 10 am until 6 pm on our schedule when we booked the tour but the ship later told us they would be staying an extra hour so we didn't leave until 7. Could be because they wanted to do Punta Tomba as a ship tour and it gave them more time. We could have done it easily in less time since as I said, we made a side stop on the way back to Gaiman but she had said this would depend on how long we spent with penguins. Hope this helps. It's an amazing place, so if you are able, I think you will be really impressed. And there's more than just penguins. The Guanacos (in the llama and camel family) also run wild here and are great fun to watch. They are up near the beginning more and not down by the water, so you will see them right off the bat.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

Hi Kathy and Ronnie. Can you tell us how long your tour with Monica lasted? We are in Puerto Madryn from either 10-5 or 8-5 (the confirmation says 10-5 but the website now says 8-5) and we wondered if that is enough time. The cruise ship excursion says it takes 8 hours which indicates we might be there the longer time.

Thanks.

Liz

Hi Liz: We docked in Port Madryn at 11am so that was a bit late. The ship was leaving at 7pm and they wanted everyone back onboard by 6. By the time we got off the ship and walked to the very end of the pier (quite a distance) it was nearly 11:30 - so we we didn't reach the rookery until about 1:45. Then we started walking. We did beat the buses from NCL and that is a bonus, because there are just too many people trying to get to the same point. Monica was just wonderful, but the drive is very long. As you might have read, my husband never made it to the water's edge to see the majority of the penguins. I think, although my heart was set on seeing that rookery, if I had know what a struggle it would be for my husband I would have had Monica take us elsewhere. Monica spent the entire day with us and really wanted us to go to the Welsh Tea House, but my husband was exhausted and I knew he would feel better just getting back to the ship. We got back by 5pm...and before we reached the pier Monica took us for a quick tour of the city. I think that if you get to the port by 10 and have no problems negotiating the rocky and graveled areas in the rookery, you should have no problems spending the day seeing everything you want and getting back to the ship in time. Monica knows the area well and has a 4x4 truck and navigates it through the roughest areas with ease....what fun you will have.

Ronnie

It is so great to get all of this information from everyone on these boards!

Aunt Dot - everytime I go to look at something you have posted my question already - so I am just following you around on the boards!

We were finally able to connect with the BA guides and ar getting things lined up there. Now I'm working on the ports.

Liz

Hi again Cathy & Ronnie,

What a tough decision! I did hear back from Monica and she was basically suggesting my husband and I do a private tour with her so she could 'guide' the tour properly, and due to our limitations with walking she would not be torn between staying with us, and being with anyone else on the tour. She was figuring 1.5 hrs at Punta Tombo (so the walk to the sea would not be part of her plan). Given the cost she quoted of $300 for the two of us, and not getting to the most spectacular part of the trip, I think we've decided to give up this idea.

:(

Instead, we will continue to pray daily for the next 314 days for a stop at the Falklands where we have booked the trip out to Volunteer Point.

:D

The other option you have recommended sounds good too - the small boats at Ushuaia! Will I need my ginger capsules for that trip?? This sounds like a great option, even after seeing the Kings at Volunteer Point! ...maybe even a better choice than the ferry to Magdalena Island in Punta Arenas.

Thanks so much for all your advice. We really appreciate all the helpful people on CC.

Dot

Dot: Forgot to answer your most important question - about ginger capsules for the little boat in Ushuaia. We tend to take dramamine (non-drowsey) if we are in doubt of how a boat ride will go. That morning we didn't take anything - it was very smooth going. When they pull over to the islands and stop, the boat rocks a bit - so if you are prone to seasickness at the slightest movement - better safe than sorry. It surely was worth the trip!

Dot: Forgot to answer your most important question - about ginger capsules for the little boat in Ushuaia. We tend to take dramamine (non-drowsey) if we are in doubt of how a boat ride will go. That morning we didn't take anything - it was very smooth going. When they pull over to the islands and stop, the boat rocks a bit - so if you are prone to seasickness at the slightest movement - better safe than sorry. It surely was worth the trip!

Thanks! I get pretty woozy on whale watching trips in the Atlantic, and on windy switchback roads up mountainsides - so guess I better 'take precautions' especially if it's not so smooth!!!

Dot

Dot,

As I said, I waited until we docked in Ushuaia to make the final decision about the Beagle Channel Catamarans. As I said, on the day we were there, it was smooth, but I have also read reviews from others on days they were there and it wasn't.

Have a back up plan for Ushuaia if you don't do it and if the weather is great and the channel looking like glass, then you can fall to that. But no, don't want to make yourself sick in your search for penguins. :)

Cathy

Have a back up plan for Ushuaia if you don't do it and if the weather is great and the channel looking like glass, then you can fall to that. But no, don't want to make yourself sick in your search for penguins. :)

Cathy

But aren't the penguins worth getting sick over???? LOL You realize I don't have to worry about any of this as we WILL stop at the Falklands!! (I have been watching all the ships on sea scanner and haven't seen one miss that port since I started looking!!!)

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, Cathy.

Dot,

I think the penguins are AMAZING and was definitely a major draw for me for wanting to do this itinenary. I did do them on two different ports and had them both booked since you always run the risk that you may not be able to make it to one of the ports for one reason or another and you don't want to get shut totally out.

As far as the Faulklands, hey...it's a good attitude and we never want to plan on not making a port. Chances are good you will make it, but many will pick a second port to see them on the "just incase".

You are going to have a wonderful time. I wish I could do it again.

Cathy

• 2 weeks later...

Both of you did the smaller boats from the kiosk at end of dock in Ushuaia, right? My question was not so much the rockiness of the ride, but did you feel safe on this smaller boat? Was it equipped with lifejackets? It sounds wonderful to be able to get so much closer to the islands, but just want to feel safe. And do they take American dollars? (Also what about the acceptance of U.S. $$ in other ports?). Thanks for all your help!

dawnprincess,

Is that the name of your favorite ship or the one you are going to be going on????? We did the Dawn Princess and had a great time.

But to your questions...yes, we booked the Beagle Channel Catamaran right off the docks of where the ship docks. It was a little to the right, but you will see all the booths as soon as you head out that direction. As far as the "small boats", I do know that SOME are quite small since I know one guy was trying to get us in and he said it only held 10. But we went on a two story catamaran with an inside on the bottom level that you could sit down in to warm up. We never felt unsafe even slightly. It was a good size and we still spend the majority of the time either upstairs or else at the front of the catamaran. It was about 40 USD. I say "about" since exchange rates are changing all the time. Yes, you can pay in peso's, dollars or credit card.

As far as the rest of the ports and if they take U.S. dollars....we did find that most did, although you may not always get the best exchange rate, depending on where you are. We tended to always have peso's with us as well and did about half and half.

Hope this helps

Cathy

Thanks Cathy,

Yes, that does help! Dawn Princess was our very first cruise and it was love at first sight for both DH and I. :)

So even though you were on a 2-story catamaran, was that boat smaller than the one used on the regular shore excursion, or don't you know? I think it might have been Ronnie who did the smaller boat and said they were practically able to go right up on the island and were very, very close to the penguins and sea lions.

Dawnprincess,

The catamaran company that we used was very similar to three different companies all grouped there together. They were doing the same schedule and leaving at the same time (9:30 am) and were the largest sized ones we saw. The ship tour also uses one that is also basically in the same size category. And yes, you go right up to the shore. It's amazing! One of my favorite things on the cruise since the wildlife was so much fun to watch.

Also, there are several different tours to choose from. Some longer than others, but they all are running pretty much in the same types of catamarans. As I said, there will be a few smaller booths where they have men trying to get you to go on their smaller boats, but you will see most are walking by them and heading in to one of the three major companies there. We did that.

Cathy

Both of you did the smaller boats from the kiosk at end of dock in Ushuaia, right? My question was not so much the rockiness of the ride, but did you feel safe on this smaller boat? Was it equipped with lifejackets? It sounds wonderful to be able to get so much closer to the islands, but just want to feel safe. And do they take American dollars? (Also what about the acceptance of U.S. $$ in other ports?). Thanks for all your help!

Hi Dawnprincess: We felt perfectly safe in the smaller boat. No one wore life jackets. The water was not rough and the motor is in the back. In fact - I stood outside in the back of the boat and videoed leaving the port. They did ask everyone to sit inside until they got out of the pier, I have no idea why, but once we were cleared, everyone got out and walked around the outside of the boat. My husband is not exactly what you would call a water person - so he sat inside for most of the trip - but seeing the sea lions so close up convinced him to take his life in his hands and go outside - WOW -he survived :p . Some of the passengers even climbed up onto the front of the boat to get a view from above. There were no casualties to report. We did have to move out of the way for a large catamaran - but not by much, because they could not get anywhere as close to the islands as we were. Also, the passengers were all pushing to get to the railing to take pictures. Since the smaller boats take about 8-10 people everyone had plenty of room to roam around. We would not hesitate to do that again...even my husband "the seaman" admitted that was really one of the highlights of the trip. I wish you could see our videos. We paid in US dollars and negotiated with the owner of the boat. I believe we paid $40 USD per person...worth every penny.

Ronnie

When you took the catamaran tours in Ushusia were you able to get off the catamaran at any point. I realize the object is to see the animals but I want to also go to the famous "end of the world" site that everyone talks about. I know that is kind of dumb but I can't help it. :)

Thanks Ronnie! I was sure that one person had mentioned the smaller boats. Can you remember approx. how long the boat ride was all together -- and did you go to Bird Island, Sea Wolves Island -- and one place has some penguins too, right?? (Also was there an option of stopping at the 'end of the world' on your boat?)

And S&B, that's not silly at all. I'm a sucker for all those touristy things and would LOVE to have my photo taken at the 'end of the world'.

Thanks Ronnie! I was sure that one person had mentioned the smaller boats. Can you remember approx. how long the boat ride was all together -- and did you go to Bird Island, Sea Wolves Island -- and one place has some penguins too, right?? (Also was there an option of stopping at the 'end of the world' on your boat?)

And S&B, that's not silly at all. I'm a sucker for all those touristy things and would LOVE to have my photo taken at the 'end of the world'.

Good Morning: We did not stop "at the end of the world"..this is a very short port stop - everyone had to be back on the ship at 12:30 - so some folks chose to take the train "to the end of the world" and others did the Beagle Chanel. We did make three or four stops. The bird Island is the one with the penguins that fly - millions of them, along with the sealions. They all lay around together - just amazing. Then there was a stop on an island that had flowers that are just seen in that area. They stopped the boat and most of the passengers got off and trekked along the small island with the guide to learn about the different species of plant life specific to Ushuaia - so, unless there is a trip that takes you to both places in that short time, you might have to make a choice. From what I heard, most of the folks who went to the "end of the world" said they should have taken the boats. Remember, the ship docks at 6:30 and you can debark at 7:30 - but nothing starts until 8:30-9, so you only have about a little over 3 hours to do your thing. Our original tour was a bit over 4 hours, and they had to shorten it to get us back on time. We went with NCL so if you are on a different line, the time may be different. I am picking up my photos today - if I can figure out how to scan my photos of the bird island, I will. Don't get your hopes up - I have never done that before and my son is working until midnight tonight....he is my IT man.

2Travelers, I am a bit confused!! We're doing the SA cruise with NCL Feb 1/09 and my itinerary says the we "cruise the beagle channel". Did your cruise do this? Just wondering why others went on a separate tour to the Beagle Channel. Looking forward to your pics. Thanks.

I have a few questions about Monica Berg's tour.

What kind of truck did she use? I know it is a 4x4 but was it in good shape? I have read that some of the 4x4's have broken down on the way.

Does she do her own tours or does she use other guides?

She said that we could eat at the pub. How long did that take? I don't want to waste an hour sitting in a pub.

As the search engine is down can you direct me to other threads that have been posted about her?

Any other thing I should know? I am still waiting for replys from Huincatravel and Whales Patagonia.

Thanks so much for your help.

Happy sailing. S&B

2Travelers, I am a bit confused!! We're doing the SA cruise with NCL Feb 1/09 and my itinerary says the we "cruise the beagle channel". Did your cruise do this? Just wondering why others went on a separate tour to the Beagle Channel. Looking forward to your pics. Thanks.

The Beagle Channel is huge as you can see from this map. We were there a few months ago as part of a 37 day cruise

262689002_UkYZJ-M.jpg

Anything you see from your cruise ship, other than the birds following you, will be from a great distance. In order to see the sights up close and personal you need to take an excursion boat. It is a great trip and you really ought to do it if you have the opportunity. The excursion boats go out for different lengths of time so be sure to find out exactly what you will see on that particular excursion. You buy tickets for the excursions across the street from the entrance to the dock. What hours are you tentatively scheduled to be in port in Ushuaia? Here are a couple of photos of the sites but you can see more of my Beagle Channel photos starting with photo number 43 on my Argentina gallery: http://philhouse.smugmug.com/gallery/4466389_Vdesc#P-1-12

262690701_ajVrQ-M.jpg

262689635_6rWzK-M.jpg

Hope this helps,

Phil

Thanks Cathy,

Yes, that does help! Dawn Princess was our very first cruise and it was love at first sight for both DH and I. :)

So even though you were on a 2-story catamaran, was that boat smaller than the one used on the regular shore excursion, or don't you know? I think it might have been Ronnie who did the smaller boat and said they were practically able to go right up on the island and were very, very close to the penguins and sea lions.

Here is the Catamaran we used a few months ago and it was great. Definitely do this trip and yes they do back right up to the island.

Phil

262688988_Yuv5g-M.jpg

262690966_PynQx-M.jpg

Phil, thanks so much for that info, it's becoming a bit clearer now!! We're only in Ushuaia from 7:00 am until 2:00pm so not very much time. Did you do both a catamaran trip and a land based tour or was it just a single tour? Any hints you can offer to maximize our time there would be much appreciated, we're early birds so will be ready to hit land as soon as the ship lets us. Loved your travel photos, my husband has just started building his site up www.gtbow.smugmug.com . We've travelled to many of the same areas as you have - we'll be in Machu Picchu in about 4 weeks time!! Thanks again.

Phil, thanks so much for that info, it's becoming a bit clearer now!! We're only in Ushuaia from 7:00 am until 2:00pm so not very much time. Did you do both a catamaran trip and a land based tour or was it just a single tour? Any hints you can offer to maximize our time there would be much appreciated, we're early birds so will be ready to hit land as soon as the ship lets us. Loved your travel photos, my husband has just started building his site up www.gtbow.smugmug.com . We've travelled to many of the same areas as you have - we'll be in Machu Picchu in about 4 weeks time!! Thanks again.

Hi Carmelita. Our Beagle Channel excursion was strictly on the catamaran. There are some variations allow you a little land time. We were fortunate because we had an overnight stop in Ushuaia. Your options are limited because of the short time that you have. I suggest you get off the boat as soon as possible. Walk to the end of the dock area, past the catamaran, and out the security entrance. Immediately across the street there are several kiosks that sell excursions. I recommend the last one but all are probably okay. I believe most of the excursions leave about 9 a.m. you probably need one that will get you back by 1 p.m. The good news is you will only be about 100 yards from your ship. You really must hurry as these excursions fill up quickly particularly if there are other ships in port. If that fails, you can always just walk around town, explore the prison, and take a short cab ride up to the chair lift for a magnificent view. There is also a cafe at the top that serves outstanding hot chocolate and you can do a little hiking.

Phil

PS - You have a great start on your website and I loved your photos particularly those of Galapagos since we are going there next year. Also, Africa is one of our favorite destinations. You will love Machu Picchu, it is awesome.

58686970_59m3N-M.jpg

How far would you say the walk is???:eek: I have arthritis and cannot walk too far or stand too long without a break! But would hate to miss out on this fabulous tour. Dot

There are a couple of benches on the way but it is a more rugged hike to get the best view of the beach. If you can't do Punta Arenas I would not advise this.

Phil

267891413_vEMLp-M.jpg

267896810_BzXtd-M.jpg

I have a few questions about Monica Berg's tour.

What kind of truck did she use? I know it is a 4x4 but was it in good shape? I have read that some of the 4x4's have broken down on the way.

Does she do her own tours or does she use other guides?

She said that we could eat at the pub. How long did that take? I don't want to waste an hour sitting in a pub.

As the search engine is down can you direct me to other threads that have been posted about her?

Any other thing I should know? I am still waiting for replys from Huincatravel and Whales Patagonia.

Thanks so much for your help.

Happy sailing. S&B

Hi: Monica has a 2005 Chevy S10. It is in very good shape and she is a great driver. She takes you herself, but remember that the truck can seat three or four comfortably - we were only two and my husband sat in the front - so we were able to really spread out. If you are very heavy, then four passengers will be a bit tight. We did not stop at the pub in the Rookery. First, it is a very long ride out there and we didn't want to waste time sitting and eating. Second, Monica offered to bring lunch and since I am never sure what kinds of food might be served (greasy stuff) I thought that we would definitely be better off eating at the rookery inside the truck. This worked out fine for us. I know that those of us who used her have nothing but good things to say. As far as breaking down along the way, let me just tell you that during our cruise one of NCL's buses broke down and everytime another bus went by, they flagged them down and put passengers onto that bus. It took forever to get all of the passengers back to the ship...you just never know. We loved Monica and would go with her again in a flash :D

Ronnie

Archived