RE:Mexican Riviera

ooulio

I could use some help. Never done this Itinerary. We are experts on Eastern Carribbean. Just did our 8th time on the New Freedom. We want to try something different.. Could anyone give me some advice? We are trying to choose between Carnival Pride on Puerto Vallarta, Maxatlan and Cabo San Lucas or Canival Spirit on Mazanillo, Acapulco and Zihuatanajo. I saw some pictures that someone took. They were incredible.

Esther,

We just did our first MR (Cabo/Mazatlan/PV) , also did a Catalina/Ensenada short cruise. I've done mostly the western Caribbean, and key points of difference,

Water.. Much colder in MR, no where near as blue or clean looking, sandy beaches are the exception rather than the rule.

Ports..

These four are much more industrial then I found in the western Car.. Cabo is there for tourists more than the others. Mazatlan and PV are perhaps a bit more real as a result of this.

Enjoyed both, but we're not really 'beach' type people, I burn to a crisp, so it worked well for us...

I have been to all of the ports except Manzanillo. Of the two choices, I would go with Carnival Spirit. Acapulco and Zihua were favorites of both me and hubby. We could definitely pass on Cabo and Mazatlan! Puerto Vallarta is very beautiful, with lots of variety in beach, jungle, activities etc, so it is a favorite among many people.

Cabo: known for lover's beach/the arch & drinking/partying

Mazatlan: nothing to mention

Pv: as stated above

Acapulco: beautiful bay, fort, cliff divers

Zihau: low-key, relaxed, undeveloped, a break from the tourist world

Hi! I have been to all of the places on the Celebrity Mercury. I took a shore excursion in each place & all of them have something different to offer.

Cabo San Lucas ~ great for whalewatching in Jan/Feb, seals by Los Arcos

Manzanillo ~ had some little pyramids, a nice Colonial town with great food

Mazatlan ~ 2 colonial towns with great lunch

PV ~ very interesting with the malecon,tequila facility with tasting & great meal, city tour

Acapulco~ cliff divers, tour of hotel area,nice scenery, too much shopping

Zihuatenejo ~ lovely fishing village, nice little town, museum

The more I remember the better I like the Mexican Riviera cruise ~ wish I were going again!

~Jo~ :)

I was lucky, our Mexican cruise was for 14 days and we went to Cabo, Acapulco, Zihua, PV, Mazatlan and La Paz. Zihua was the best, great little fishing village with some very interesting beaches. Acapulco was very interesting, nice beaches but dirty water. The cliff divers were really fun. PV was my second favorite stop, lots of variety from the beaches and luxury hotels to the colonial old town. Mazatlan has Stone Island beaches. La Paz was a very interesting city as it is the state capital of Baja South. Cabo was a party town. None of the beaches have the clear blue water of the Carribean, but the history and culture of Mexico are really interesting. Then there is the food, it is varied with the cities. Unfortunately, our next MR cruise will be only to Cabo, PV and Mazatlan. But it will be a great way to spend Thanksgiving. Uno Mas Cerveza por favor!

We have been on both and would highly recommend either one. Each ship has its own special quality as do the ports. There is only 1 day difference so take your pick. We absolutely loved both our cruises and are going on the Pride again 5-11-08 with DD, 2 GK's and in laws. I am sure you'll love either one! ENJOY

Shankiko:)

:eek: can you recommend the best way to get off the Pride and touir these areas. Was there any tour on the ship you loved. We like to snorkel and relax. We were thinking we could rent a driver and customize a tour in PV but not sure what to see. We don't like zip lines, drinking,

100% definitely take the Spirit. I did both itinerary and Cabo-Matzatlan-PV is not even close to Acapulco-Ixtapa-Manzanillo! To be honest, the first one was on the Spirit and I thought it was the most wonderful experience, while the second one was on Princess (dawn) and I was very disappointed. Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo is my most favorite port We bought the shore excursion through Carnival that took us over to an island where we had time to bath and snorkel. On the way back they dropped us off at the market which was a wonderful arts and crafts shopping experience and was only couple minutes away from the ship terminal. My only advice is to make sure you do get an excursion in Acapulco, as it is a big city, and can get sort of scary if you get off the beaten path (been there done that)

Manzanillo ~ had some little pyramids, a nice Colonial town with great food

We did that tour from the HAL Ryndam a few years ago. It was the highlight of the trip. The towns are Colima and Comala. You will also see the ruins there and maybe a peek at the volcano, which has been recently active.

Have fun!

To the ladies who answered me about the Mexican Riviera. Did you have any problems with Carvial Spirit? My girlfriend was on it a year ago or 1 1/2 years ago. She said on the floor with the suites, there was an awful noise that drove them crazy. Trying to book ahead for Feb 2009. Don't want to spend that much money if it is still a problem. Is the cruise port in San Diego near the airport? Never been to San Diego. Only LA which I hated! Heard San Diego is beautiful.

I was reading one of the posts about Mexican Riviera. She said it was 100* one day. This was in Feb or March. Was she kidding? I didn't think it was that hot. I thought like 70-80's as EAstern Carribbean. Can someone please advise? We are going next Feb but if it is that hot, will think about some other itinerary.

Hi Esther.

We did Carnival Spirit in Feb 2006. Cold on the ship the first and last days at sea (as you cruise along Baja California). The rest of the days were great. Acapulco was hot and a little humid but not unbearable. Could it reach 100? Perhaps. Average temp for Acapulco in Feb is 87 degrees so there could be hotter days and there could be cooler days. Humidity is fairly high at 89% so you will feel it.

We had a great time on this cruise and will probably do it again when we get the chance. Maybe 2010. We already have a Med cruise scheduled for this November and then want to take Carnival Pride in 2009 when she sails through the Panama Canal.

I could use some help. Never done this Itinerary. We are experts on Eastern Carribbean. Just did our 8th time on the New Freedom. We want to try something different.. Could anyone give me some advice? We are trying to choose between Carnival Pride on Puerto Vallarta, Maxatlan and Cabo San Lucas or Canival Spirit on Mazanillo, Acapulco and Zihuatanajo. I saw some pictures that someone took. They were incredible.

We did that one on the Spirit and loved it, best port was Zihuatanajo though we liked them all. Just make sure you have a guide for Acapulco if you go, we saw the cliff divers and enjoyed that but quite a large city. We will be going on the Pride this December and from what I heard both are very good cruises and both ships are very similar. The Spirit was beautiful and top notch with service, in fact our friends enjoyed it better than the Princess ones they have been on. So I don't think you will go wrong with either, or just plan to do both like us!!!

We are on Star Princess this October - in Ixtapa do you remember the name of the tour you took for the beach. There is a "beach break" excursion listed and wondering if that is the same thing. Thanks.

the beach break excursion on NCL went to las gatas, where we went, they paid like 50+ per person,

where we paid 3$ per person each way..

i would go there on your own, you just get a water taxi at the pier and they take you right over,

you can see the ship, its a nice area, we loved it there,

our favorite port in the Mexican riveria

:eek: can you recommend the best way to get off the Pride and touir these areas. Was there any tour on the ship you loved. We like to snorkel and relax. We were thinking we could rent a driver and customize a tour in PV but not sure what to see. We don't like zip lines, drinking,

we just got back from Cabo, PV and Mazatlan last week- and we are avid snorkelers, but we wasted our time bringing our gear (and lugging it around, just in case...) depending on when you go, the water is too cold to stay in for very long, and also too rough in a lot of places. We heard you could snorkel on Stone Island, Mazatlan, and brought our stuff, but the surf is high there and there is no "cove" or protected waters to really snorkel in. its more suited to Banana boat rides etc. In PV we went to a small, family run Tequila factory, and then on to Mismaloya Beach and the water was calm, but FREEZING- we didn't even bother to go in- we just sat on the beach and enjoyed....

Sue

We like the ports on these cruises, especially Puerto Vallarto and Zihuantenejo (this may be my favorite port even including the Caribbean). The only thing I don't like about a Mex. Riviera cruise is that the first and last days can be VERY cool--it was too cool this year the last two days to even sit outside. Of course, that varies.

We were on the Spirit in January and thought it was a great ship. I don't know what floor your friend was talking about; we were on floor 6, cat 11 (mini-suite) , and had no noise problems. Maybe the full suites are on a different floor.

I agree that this is not a good snorkeling area compared to the Caribbean. Also the water tends to be cooler, depending on time of year.

Generally, how does the roughness of the seas compare to the Caribbean? Does it vary per time of year?

we have been to mexico many times and the sailings have always been pretty smooth,

one time in november we went around a hurricane and that night was windy, but the seas werent too bad,

i think its a hit or miss, but we have been about 5 times and never had bad scary weather,

i think it was smoother than the caribbean...

i would avoid sept, oct and nov,

i know that hurricanes are usually unlikely around the mexican riveria but the last few years they have had them ..

we love to go in jan or feb, weather is nice , not tooo hot , and its whale season !!!

We've done this route twice. The first time the last night was pretty rocky, which I think is common heading back to LA or San Diego. This January the last day was not wavy at all.

On both trips, the other days were fairly smooth to very smooth. It was only one night that had quite a bit of movement--and it still wasn't too bad.

I on the other hand would never do the spirit mexican riveria out of SanDiego again.

I loved Sandiego... go to old town really neat and lots of shops!

The Pride was a beautiful ship and has lots to offer. But as for Acap, Maz, and Xtapa.

Well Xtapa/Zie are incredable. We went on the dolphine tour threw the ship. I have done many dolphine tours and this was the best on yet out of 7. They allow a lot of interaction and time in the water!

After we went to a private beach. It's down from the dolphinesand was beautiful. Layed on the beach and then got an hour message by 2 massage ladies for $25 US. I would go back any day.

As for Acap it's a dump and really dirty especially the water and I felt like I was beng pulled in ever direction from locals trying to sell me something. Gets really annoying.

In Maza we went ATV it was really fun and the tour guides where great. It's a long bus ride there but well worth it. After we got dropped off by the hotels and just walked threw them and around the beach.

As for the rest of the reason why I would never sail. All the people that where with me all got Norwalk. This started with the first 2 people on day 4 and all of us where sick and corntened to our rooms for the rest of the trip. It is so easly passed and that would be why we all got it. The medical team that meet us back at Port in SanDiego to take us to the hospital cause none of us could even move from our beds. Told us 4 days later when we where realesed from hospital that they come across at least 5 cases of this everytime the ship went on this itenary and seemed to be getting worse over the last year.

So seeing as Norwalk can live on the surface we assumed that it's living premintaly on the ship or it's being picked up at one of the ports. And to top it off the last day at sea they where announcing that many decks where closed due to weather all I remember is that ship was sure rocken but I was so sick I couldnt get up to look out the balcony and see the rough water.

It was ovesly just a bad experence but learn from mine and always wash your hand and keep them away from your mouth and try to avoid touching any hand rails on the ship.

Archived