Wearing Jacket during dinner

My husband never removes his.

Dining rooms are generally chilly and women often need wraps, so keeping a blazer or suit jacket on during dinner shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you're very uncomfortable, I'm sure your tablemates wouldn't object if you removed it and placed it on the back of your chair.

Thanks for your responses.... I know I take my suit jacket off at wedding receptions.... usually drunk and warm by the time we get seated but I did not remember "my personal" cruise etiquette.

I believe the cool comment jogged my memory - I'm pretty sure I leave my jacket on as well!

Thanks

The same etiquette applies to all formal events whether they are cruises or weddings or anniversary dinners: keep the jacket on.

I'm astounded at how many men are oblivious to the fact (or couldn't care less) that undressing at an formal event downgrades the formality that the hosts worked so hard to create in the first place. It's a shame how today's obsession with being comfortable at all costs overrides traditional good manners. The same logic that argues it's okay to remove one's jacket would also make it permissible to remove one's tie, unbutton on'es shirt, roll up one's sleeves and kick off one's shoes. Ahhh, nothing like treating a curise ship dining room or hotel ballroom like one's own family room is there?

Letting things slide a little towards the end of the evening is one thing but there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to sit through dinner in an air-conditioned venue without having to disrobe.

I always read about how cold the dining rooms are and I'm usually the one who's too hot!

We cruised during Christmas week 06' and I swear they had the heaters cranked up in the dining room the entire time. The servers were sweating, every man in the area had their jacket on the back of their chairs. We spread our seats apart as far as we could, so we weren't so close to each other, it was roasting in there! I remember looking around the room to see just how many women were using a wrap, not a one!!!

So, even though it looks best to wear the jacket, if it's too warm I don't at all blame the men for removing them. Typically my husband will leave his on.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never notice or for that matter even remember what I have done in the past but do most people usually wear their Suit\Dinner Jacket during the entire Dinner?

I think I'm getting old - my memory is failing me . . . :confused:

Yes I think.

I always read about how cold the dining rooms are and I'm usually the one who's too hot!

We cruised during Christmas week 06' and I swear they had the heaters cranked up in the dining room the entire time. The servers were sweating, every man in the area had their jacket on the back of their chairs. We spread our seats apart as far as we could, so we weren't so close to each other, it was roasting in there! I remember looking around the room to see just how many women were using a wrap, not a one!!!

So, even though it looks best to wear the jacket, if it's too warm I don't at all blame the men for removing them. Typically my husband will leave his on.

Kathy, there was one evening on my recent cruise I had

to leave the dining room...I was perfectly comfortable through

dinner and then boom...all of a sudden I became FREEZING:eek:

Uncomfortably so....one of my tablemates asked if I was feeling

ill...I said no, which I wasn't but seemed to just get goose bumps

like crazy. I think it was the 3rd night maybe? Maybe the

activity of the first few days caught up with me.

I had a very cute knit top on, 3/4 sleeves with a black skirt.

I had just finished dinner and excused myself (no dessert or

coffee)....you are always warm? I was like an icecube.

I went to the cabin, changed into a nightshirt and got under

the covers with socks on too! Even had to turn the temp up

in the cabin to make it warmer.

It was soooooo weird. I never got sick but the chills sure

did take over!:confused: I slept on and off all night while watching

reruns on the tv. I must have felt ok into the night because I had to

make the room cooler LOL

Next day I was all better...weird, huh???

Archived