Carnival Elation vs Royal Caribbean Monarch

Deborito

Buying a short cruise as a present for my folks 50th anniv. 5 Night Carnival Elation or 4 night RCCL Monarch. Averages out to be about the same price per day. Elation- San Diego, Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego. Monarch, LA, San Diego, Catalina, Ensenada, LA. They are 70 years old and have never cruised. Plan to book for May 5th or 15th. Giving to them as present on March 22 need to book soon HELP!!!!!!!! Debbie

Need a little more info about your parents...are they active, where do they live, would they be comfortable in Mexico or would they perfer mostly US ports?

I live in Southern Cal so a cruise to LA, Catalina, San Diego and Ensenada wouldn't excite me much. Those are all places I can get to in a couple hours. So if that were the case I'd recommend the Elation because all the ports are in Mexico.

If they aren't comfortable being off the ship in Mexico then the Monarch is probably the best bet.

I can't speak for the Monarch but I was on the Elation cruise through the Panama Canal last spring and it was a nice ship with the friendliest crew I've ever encountered.

Im showing senior rates for May 2nd, 3 day on Monarch, inside $209, OV $239, suite/deluxe category shows $579, didnt look into which cabin that would be.

If its like the SOV, Id pick obstructed OV if you can get that category on Monarch, higher deck with full windows.

5 day elation April 28th also showing some dynamite senior rates.

$229 inside and $299 OV

My folks are pretty active. They live in a rural country area on the SW coast of Washington State. My dad used to be a commercial Fisherman in Alaska so rough water wouldn't be a problem. I am looking at a 4 day on the Monarch or a 5 day on the Elation. They will probably stay a few extra days and sightsee around LA. I think a 3 day would be too short. Now if it were for me I would have to have at least 7 days. :D Debbie

I haven't done the Elation, but I have done the Ecstasy and Paradise out of Long Beach as well as the Monarch. I hated the Monarch. The rooms were so tiny that two people couldn't stand up and move around at the same time. I also found the layout of the ship difficult to negotiate and the ship looked worn and old. To me this is a no brainer, Carnival.. all the way. I'm in my 50's and as far as the passengers go, there was a mix of all ages on both.

I am going on the elation on 13 days. I was hoping I would see everyone say that the elation is better. I know San diego port is a lot better than long beach

OK i'll say it for you......The Elation is better.

Atleast in my opinion, i am in my 40's and have a great time. For the older ship that Elation is, i was very inpressed with her, she is very elegant.

Being that the OP's parents are older, they may enjoy a different ship instead but as for me, I'll stick with Elation.

SOS to the OP........one word of caution, DO NOT BOOK YOUR PARENTS CRUISE DURING SPRING BREAK, let their first cruise be a calm one.

I'm looking at May 5th or May 12th. Prices are better and Kids are still in school. I'm hoping the weather will be warm but not too hot. I've only been to the Caribbean, so don't know too much about the Mexixo route. DH and I are considering coming down sometime todo a short B2B. Shorter flight than to Fort Lauderdale. Debbie

DW and I took Elation last month and thoroughly enoyed it. People of all ages on board, but lost to do or not do if you choose. Ensenada was great and we did the wine country tour, I recomend it. Cabo was outstanding and we did the whatle watching. In may this may not be so good since the season will be over.

I hope they enjoy the Baja.

Gecko7:)

We sailed Elation last June and really enjoyed the ship and Cabo. We are 61 and 59 yrs old.

My sister just got back on Sat. from Elation and she didnt like it, but she tends to be very hard to please. Her friends who were 1st time cruisers, thought it was great.

My experience was great. I think Elation's cabins are larger then Monarch's. We had Cat. 11 and the cabin was just right.

We took the ship's tour, Dolphin Swim, and that was exciting.

Pat

I haven't been on the Monarch but I did the Elation last year and will be doing it again in a few days! I don't know about your parents but I would choose the Elation because it's a day longer and it takes you to Cabo. You can do Catalina any old day.

I haven't been on the Monarch but I did the Elation last year and will be doing it again in a few days! I don't know about your parents but I would choose the Elation because it's a day longer and it takes you to Cabo. You can do Catalina any old day.

This is exactly why I would choose the Elation. If the op says the prices are comparable and you get one more day with a better itinerary to me it is a no brainer.

Now as far as the ships........they are both great ships I would have no problem sailing on either one of them.

In fact we are looking to sail the very last sailing of the Monarch in Oct.

After that she will be on the East Coast:(

monarch all the way. much nicer ship easier to navigate. wrap around decks for strolls in the afternoon. not as tacky as the elation.

Don't know how long ago you were on the Elation but it is the furthest from "tacky" you can get, no bright colors, lots of marble in dark colors.

I think it's the mellowest (color wise) of all the Carnival ships.

I haven't been on Elation, but I just did Monarch a few weeks ago. It was a great trip. To sum it up, I think Monarch will have smaller rooms, Elation might have better food (so far the food on my other Carnival trips was better than the food on my Monarch trip), Monarch was a nice ship with lovely staff and several nice mellow lounges were you could watch the ocean go by.

Of course, you get an extra day on Elation... for me, that would be hard to pass up!

Archived