booze on plane

kruisin' kim

Cruising the eastern caribbean in June, would like to pruchase alcohol there to bring home. However, we have to fly from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans to get home! Any suggestions on how to get it home. Would rather not pack in luggage. Does the ship liquor store, or any for that matter, package liquor for flights? ( I find the prices on ship are just as cheap as ports so i usually just but it on board)

thanks for your input! :p

Sadly the days of bringing your duty-free as carry-on are over. (unless you're only buying 3 oz bottles :D ) I've heard the airlines are getting more reluctant to take a "box of booze" as checked luggage without something around it.

Might I suggest bringing an extra empty suitcase with you... as you use up your clothes, put them in your extra case, then use the clothes as "packing material" to cushion the bottles (or the box if you got it boxed).

Also remember how sticky they're getting about the weight rules - make sure your case doesn't go over the 50lbs - or whatever you're allowed.

Some people say with all the hassle it's not worth it... but believe me, if you are Canadian, it is :)

but on my past 3 cruises I have brought home about 8 bottles of liquor.........I just slip a bottle in a sweat sock...then wrap it in my dirty clothes.....I have added 2 bottles per suitcase......4 in my wife's 2 cases and 4 in mine......have flown from Miami to Washington DC......never lost any............

We always just pack the booze in our checked luggage and distribute evenly to avoid over weight issues. Bringing another suitcase is a great idea, BUT make sure you will not be charged for beyond the "free" checked luggage allowance that is changing on many airlines. Check with your carrier regarding luggage allowances.

If packed and protected properly in your checked luggage... it should make it just fine !

We always just pack the booze in our checked luggage and distribute evenly to avoid over weight issues. Bringing another suitcase is a great idea, BUT make sure you will not be charged for beyond the "free" checked luggage allowance that is changing on many airlines. Check with your carrier regarding luggage allowances.

Good point... I keep forgetting that's the latest thing to be cut back.

I always bring a couple long pieces of bubble wrap (fits nicely in the outside pocket of my suitcase) to wrap my bottles, or other breakable souvenirs for the trip home. That plus a overlarge ziploc back does the trick. Seen one too many leaking suitcases at airport baggage claims!

check the rules for your airline. Many are now allowing only 1 50-pound bag, and almost all say that alcohol is forbidden in checked bags :(

I believe you are mistaken regarding alcohol not being allowed in checked baggage.... check out Delta, Southwest, and even American Airlines and they all refer to the rules of the TSA which DOES ALLOW ALCOHOL to be in checked luggage. I do agree with checking with airlines you are flying on to verify their baggage policy regarding checked luggage and alcohol. :D

I was just on a cruise and I flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Detroit and I was able to bring back two (1 litre) bottles each in our suitcases. I wrapped them in clothes and made sure to put them in the middle of the suitcases and all four bottles made it. I will let you know that my suitcase weighed 43 pounds going and on my return it was 48 so I would add 5 pounds for every two bottles.

Archived