Icy Strait Point, Alaska

05mak05

Another thumbs up for Floyd / F.I.S.H.E.S. It was our favorite excursion out of two Alaska Inside Passage cruises, but then again the whales were particularly cooperative on our day. It is a well run operation by local husband and wife team on a modern boat limited to 6 passengers.

Here are a couple more you could check out, for bear search/wilderness tour:

http://www.forget-me-notoutfitters.com/

We had quite a bad experience with this vendor. Personally I would choose Chicagoff Tours with Pat or Teckk Outfitters with Keith. Pat from Chicagoff saved our day in Icy Strait Point and gave us a wonderful tour and friends on our same cruise raved about their day with Keith.

We had quite a bad experience with this vendor. Personally I would choose Chicagoff Tours with Pat or Teckk Outfitters with Keith. Pat from Chicagoff saved our day in Icy Strait Point and gave us a wonderful tour and friends on our same cruise raved about their day with Keith.

Care to elaborate :) . If not I understand.

Care to elaborate :) . If not I understand.

Well I won't go into the whole long story but just say after months of planning, numerous emails and a written confirmation we got left behind in favor of a larger group. Basically we were stranded at the dock with no hope for a tour since my daughter was too young for the ship's bear tour. Fortunately we discovered Pat from Chicagoff Tours and we were lucky that he was still available that day and he treated us to an amazing tour.

Well I won't go into the whole long story but just say after months of planning, numerous emails and a written confirmation we got left behind in favor of a larger group. Basically we were stranded at the dock with no hope for a tour since my daughter was too young for the ship's bear tour. Fortunately we discovered Pat from Chicagoff Tours and we were lucky that he was still available that day and he treated us to an amazing tour.

I like a HAPPY ENDING!! :D

KarateMom - I'm not clear on which vendor you had a problem with. Was it Floyd with F.I.S.H.E.S. or one of the other vendors mentioned? I'd love to hear more about your excursions in the smaller 6-passenger boats. Was the water rough? Was the heater adequate? What wildlife did you see? Our very first cruise was on Princess to Alaska. We booked a high-speed catamaran whale watching excursion but I don't remember any details or even the port. Hi, Boos Mom!!! We're north of San Antonio in Timberwood and booked on the 14-day RCI Radiance on September 12th. When are you going? We haven't nailed down anything definite for any of the ports as yet. In Skagway, we'll probably do the train again. In Sitka, we're looking at the TribalTransit tour of the Raptor Center. Ketchikan is up in the air as we're in port from 7am to 3:30pm and will miss the tours to Misty Fjords. Decisions, decisions ... what a problem, right!!!

Here are a couple more you could check out, for bear search/wilderness tour:

KarateMom - I'm not clear on which vendor you had a problem with. Was it Floyd with F.I.S.H.E.S. or one of the other vendors mentioned?

I believe KarateMom was referring to

We had a wonderful day with Keith of Teckk Outfitters. Saw three bears and beautiful scenery. Would definitely book with him again. He and his huge extended family all live there. Great day. This was during the last week of July 2007.

We have booked with Pat for our upcoming cruise. I've read a lot about them all positive and I have talked to them and they are really nice adn very helpful. We are looking forward to this excursion:)

I believe KarateMom was referring to

Yes that's correct. Thanks for making that clear as I have no personal experience with F.I.S.H.E.S. except to say that I have always seen good reviews here. I wouldn't want to confuse anyone. I was specifically referring to the vendor quoted.

I want to say "thank you!" to everyone for all of the information! We're on a 14 day cruise and covering lots of territory so all of the tips and recommendations are really appreciated. I've contacted F I S H E S but they don't have a spot for 4 on the day we're in port. I'll try to get back to contacting the others this weekend. (I didn't realize how much I used the "search" feature!!! Boy, do I miss it!)

If you like crab - go to The Office Bar in Icy Strait Point for lunch. They cook the crab fresh out of the coolers and it comes with a choice of homade potato salad or seafood chowder. DH ordered the pot. salad with his and I had the chowder and we shared:p . I also had a nice cold bottle of Alaska Pale Ale to wash it down with. UMMMMM!

Floyd will drop you off at the pier in town if you wish after your whale watch. Not sure if anyone else will but it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Icy Strait Point was one of my favorite ports on our trip last Aug.!!

If you like crab - go to The Office Bar in Icy Strait Point for lunch. They cook the crab fresh out of the coolers and it comes with a choice of homade potato salad or seafood chowder. DH ordered the pot. salad with his and I had the chowder and we shared:p . I also had a nice cold bottle of Alaska Pale Ale to wash it down with. UMMMMM!

Floyd will drop you off at the pier in town if you wish after your whale watch. Not sure if anyone else will but it wouldn't hurt to ask!

Icy Strait Point was one of my favorite ports on our trip last Aug.!!

Is The Office Bar in Hoonah or near where the tenders come in?

Archived